I've had a discussion with someone recently and he told me that he would only buy an acoustic when it comes to Epiphone. So from what he said I assumed that just like the squier strat, the epiphone lp is a beginner instrument. Or is it not? Then again I think that the best way to find out is to actually own one, but the price for the one I'm looking for is kinda high (at least for me).

I've had this for a while in my bookmarks and I'm wondering if it's worth the money. Can you play anything else than metal with this guitar? Is it a good instrument in general or should I get something more expensive? I currently have a guitar with a shitty tremolo system and it gets out of tune pretty easily (Cort VX-V2 or something like that). I mostly looked at this guitar because it's a single cut model and never had an instrument with EMG 81/85/89 etc.

I know it depends on what I wanna play but I don't only play one thing all the time. I started playing guitar mostly because of hard-rock and metal, but as I was discovering more I kinda grew bored of playing metal. This is also the reason I'm thinking of just getting a strat and forget about the EMGs (or seymour duncan blackouts).
Last edited by Χάρης at Oct 10, 2014,
Something like an Epiphone LP Special is a beginner guitar. Once you start looking at the Standard and above(subject to individual quality), they can be very good instruments.

As with most makes and models, some proper shitters makes it past QC, and if you buy online, you're a bit more likely to get stuck with one(or at least to have to do some remedial setup work, or return it, which can be a pain in the tits). If possibly, try before you buy, and even if it costs a little more to buy the one you played in store, rather than going home and ordering the same model for a few $ less, it'll be worth it in the long run.
I own four Epiphone Les Paul guitars.
Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus
Les Paul Custom (Korean)
Les Paul 2006 Standard
Les Paul Ultra II
I also own a Gibson Les Paul and many other guitars. There is a difference between the Epiphone and the Gibson but in most cases it is a very small difference in feel and tone that unless you have played a Gibson Les Paul for many years I doubt you would notice all that much. My LP 1960 Traditional is an exception because I feel it is just as good (and in some ways better) than my Gibson. Like Fender there are cheap Epiphone student modals that are designed to be starter guitars like a Squire but once you reach the level of an LP Standard and above you are talking about really fine quality guitars. I think you'll find I am not alone in my opinion. Good luck.
Attachments:
epi 12.jpg
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Oct 10, 2014,
Agree with all of the above Especially the try before you buy.

You may think that you're a les paul kinda guy when you may end up being an SG or a strat or a tele or a PRS or an Ibanez kind of guy.

I started out thinking I was a Les Paul guy, was playing on a shitty (ESP) LTD and kept drooling and dreaming about owning a LP.

When I finally got all the money together for a mid-range Epi LP (~$500), I went to the store and tried every LP I could afford. Then the guy handed me a Made In Mexico Fender Strat. Changed my perspective completely. It played like I imagined it would feel playing a Les Paul. It was a dream come true AND I had this wonderful tremolo to play with. I haven't looked back since.

The lesson there? Get some cash together and try out everything you can possibly afford at the store. You may be surprised what you go home with.

Just be warned, I see you're having tuning issues when using the trem system. Getting a Squier will not necessarily fix that (Squier trems go out of tune pretty easy. Most people I've known hardtail them). Made In Mexico Fender is when you start getting into a decent trem system, but seeing as there's not much of a price difference (if any) between a Fender MiM Standard and a middle-of-the-road Epi LP, I'd go Fender over Squier if at all possible
Last edited by mjones1992 at Oct 10, 2014,
I've played an Epi SG400 for almost 8 years now and it hasn't missed a beat. With a proper setup it will play like any Gibson.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
With a good setup a lot of Epiphones play and sound good, I've seen plenty I really liked, and my favorite acoustic (stolen years ago in Austin) was an Epiphone.

If you're looking for a guitar, always play before you buy. Play an electric unplugged first, if it sounds crappy unplugged put it back on the rack. If it sounds good and has decent sustain, plug it in.

For your tremolo, get a #2 pencil and put a good point on it. Loosen the strings and scribble in the nut slots with the pencil. The graphite will help lubricate the nut slots and reduce the binding that causes most strat tremolos to have tuning problems. I do mine every time I change strings, and sometimes between string changes before gigs. It doesn't fix everything, but it helps a lot. Proper setup of the bridge itself also helps. I use only the outside 2 screws, and 3 springs, and set the bridge plate so it sits parallel to the guitar body and slightly above it, so it literally floats. That's a combination of bridge plate screw and rear spring adjustments. Retune after changing anything. action and intonation will have to be reset too, do those afterward, intonation last. Always set intonation with brand new strings. When I do setups I do everything else, then change strings and set intonation.

With the bridge plate screws set right, spring tension so the plate sits parallel, and graphite in the nut slots, you should have minimum tuning problems. The bridge plate should float no more than .030" or so off the guitar body. (might be less, it's been a while, I just use my favorite guitar pick, which is about .030" and it works great.)

Here's what Fender says, I prefer mine parallel. It has less upward movement, but I don't pull the tremolo arm up much. I still get a half step out of it, but I let my bridge plate float slightly off the guitar, not touching it. It will work either way, if you look the bridge plate is made with a slight angle on the front, that acts as a pivot point if it's set so it touches the body. That's how their setup works, that pivot point is what you're using.

From Fender:

First, remove the tremolo back cover. Check your tuning. For a vintage-style tremolo bridge, a great way to enhance its performance is to pull the bridge back flush with the body using the tremolo arm. Then loosen all six screws located at the front edge of the bridge plate, raising them so that they all measure approximately 1/16" (1.6 mm) above the top of the bridge plate. Then tighten the two outside screws back down until they're flush with the top of the bridge plate. The bridge will now pivot on the outside screws, leaving the four inside screws in place for bridge stability. For a two-pivot model such as the American Series bridge, use your tremolo arm to pull the bridge back flush with the body and adjust the two pivot screws to the point where the tremolo plate sits entirely flush at the body (not lifted at the front or back of the plate).

Allowing the bridge to float freely (no tension on the tremolo arm) using the claw screws in the tremolo cavity, adjust the bridge to your desired angle—Fender spec is a 1/8" (3.2 mm) gap at rear of bridge. You'll need to retune periodically to get the right balance between the strings and the springs. If you prefer a bridge flush to the body, adjust spring tension to equal string tension, while the bridge rests on the body (you may want to put an extra 1/2 turn to each claw screw to ensure that the bridge remains flush to the body during string bends). Caution: Do not over-tighten the springs, as this can put unnecessary tension on the arm during tremolo use. Finally, you may wish to apply a small dab of Chapstick® or Vaseline® at the pivot contact points of the bridge for very smooth operation

That setup or the one I use should work with any strat style floating bridge tremolo.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I like my strats too. I do find the noise a bit tiresome when recording. There are lots of options our there. If you like Les Paul style get one with passive pickups. Once you get past 400 dollar price point they generally are pretty good. If you like something a bit different try a Gretsch, I find them a great combination of Telecaster and Les Paul. I got the pro jet shown in my avatar it works for most things except extreme metal. (old school metal like UFO works fine with it)
Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone. I read all of the posts and I'll make sure to look back at this thread again later!
Epiphones are well worth the money.there lps starting from the 100 model and up are good.
Iam geting a LP special 2 for a starter and a LP jr there fine for starting out