I have an ESP Viper and I'm looking at a couple ibanez I've tried a few in the past, my question is what is the difference between the tuning pegs being on the top or bottom? The one I am looking at has all 6 on the bottom of the guitar what does that mean? Just curious
Does it have a Floyd on it? If so they're the fine tuners for that guitar.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
If the tuners are on the top or the underside of the headstock, there's no difference in their function at all. It's just done for looks; some people think they're "cooler" one way or the other.

For example, the Variax JTV-89 has tuners on the underside of the headstock:

While the Variax JTV-89F has them on the topside if the headstock:

If, however, you're talking about *fine tuners* on the bridge itself:

Then you're looking at an *additional* set of fine tuners that are specific to this kind of whammy bar bridge, and they're used because the ones up at the headstock are locked out.
Yeah it has the Floyd on it, I figured that's what it was for but wasn't sure I wasn't talking about the fine tuners, I was talking about the tuners on the headstock! Thanks though
Quote by dspellman
If the tuners are on the top or the underside of the headstock, there's no difference in their function at all. It's just done for looks; some people think they're "cooler" one way or the other.

For example, the Variax JTV-89 has tuners on the underside of the headstock:

While the Variax JTV-89F has them on the topside if the headstock:

If, however, you're talking about *fine tuners* on the bridge itself:

Then you're looking at an *additional* set of fine tuners that are specific to this kind of whammy bar bridge, and they're used because the ones up at the headstock are locked out.
yeah I was talking about the bottom of the headstock, should have been more clear! Thanks though I figured it was just a diff style I just never payed any mind to it until I'm about to purchase one haha