Hey, I had this friend who went to another country when we were kids. He sometimes comes visit but by now we've spent half our lives without interacting with each other.

His brother said tomorrow he was gonna drop by and set up one of those video call things that kids have these days.

Wtf do I say? I don't want it to be like "Heyyyyy!... So... How u doin?" the whole time.
I also REALLY WANT TO AVOID something like "Ok... so... Bye, I guess..." (how do I finish the convamasation if I feel like there's nothing else to say, without it sounding like I'm shrugging him off?)

pretend you have diarrhea and bail out on the call.

it's what i'd do.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
pretend you have diarrhea and bail out on the call.

it's what i'd do.

Or take the call while having diarrhea
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
Ask him about his life, dingus

Those questions are generic as fvck, I need creativity from you people!

At least tell me how to end it without looking like I'm desperate to leave. (jakesmellspoo stahp NO ONE IS HAVING BLOODY DIARRHEA)
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Oct 10, 2014,
ask him about what he did in school, work, etc

don't be too forward or too loosey goosey, just be cool man.

edit:

IMPORTANT! If you wan't to keep things really interesting, make up shit. Srsly, just make yourself sound cool af, like talk about concerts you've been to and times you've gotten arrested for badasss stuff, and all the crazy fights you got into a few months ago and how you got stiches on your ass or something lol. it'll make the whole convo go really smoothly, and you might actually enjoy yourself.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at Oct 10, 2014,
Unless you two live extremely boring lives and very little has changed since you two spoke on a regular basis, I'm sure conversation topics will come naturally. Talk about things the other person doesn't know has happened to you, reminisce about people you knew and about what they're currently doing, show him your dick, your new car, your job, how hot you think his mom is. If it helps, keep a record of possible topics you want to discuss with him, I really think you're overthinking this.

Every time I reconnect with a person I used to know, which seems to happen very often nowadays, I just rely on our shared interest we share/used to share, and play "catch-up."

EDIT: As on how to end the conversation, you can do it as you would in any kind of conversation. Again, I think you're overthinking this.

"Hey, man, it was great catching up but I have to go. Let's do this again some time."
"Well, it was good to talk to you again, I'll keep in touch."
Last edited by chrismendiola at Oct 10, 2014,
You look like you know stuff k.laid k.lainad

I usually answer stuff with "yes" or "no" type-answers, I forgot you could not do that...

EDIT: And now you edited your post and deleted the bit I liked the most
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Oct 10, 2014,
Quote by Minicaxotinho
You look like you know stuff k.laid k.lainad

I usually answer stuff with "yes" or "no" type-answers, I forgot you could not do that...

EDIT: And now you edited your post and deleted the bit I liked the most

you get the picture though lol
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)

@chrismendiola I live a terribly boring life in a terribly boring place

Anyway, the "saying goodbye" part, keep in mind it's gonna be through video chat, with his brother around. His brother probably knows I don't "have to go" anywhere...

And the other option kinda seemed like what I usually do.
There was this girl once, I was waiting for a friend while he went home do stuff, and she was coming home from school. She started talking with me and after a few seconds (I'm sure it didn't even take a minute), I just said "Well... bye "... And she left. And I felt stupid.
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Oct 11, 2014,
Quote by Minicaxotinho

Anyway, the "saying goodbye" part, keep in mind it's gonna be through video chat, with his brother around. His brother probably knows I don't "have to go" anywhere...

And the other option kinda seemed like what I usually do.
There was this girl once, I was waiting for a friend while he went home do stuff, and she was coming home from school. She started talking with me and after a few seconds (I'm sure it didn't even take a minute), I just said "Well... bye "... And she left. And I felt stupid.

do you suffer from social anxiety? You seem super shy, man.

imo, a few hits of some mary jane usually help elimnate whatever shyness i ever had to being with. kinda like booze, but i can still control how extroverted i feel like being.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by The_Blode

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.

Yeah I am. And I can't smoke because then my lungs hurt, and asthma.

I should learn how to bake... for... maybe... opening a bakery...?...
Quote by Minicaxotinho

At least tell me how to end it without looking like I'm desperate to leave. (jakesmellspoo stahp NO ONE IS HAVING BLOODY DIARRHEA)

no one said anything about bloody diarrhea.

maybe you should see a doctor about that.

i'll tell you what you shouldn't talk about.

politics.

good way for things to get awkward really fast.

also a good way to make him uncomfortable if you don't want to look eager to end the call.

just be like "can you believe a black man is president? what's wrong with the world these days."

if that's followed by an awkward silence, you probably did it right.

edit: working in a bakery is a bad idea if you've got asthma.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Minicaxotinho

Well, what exactly do you want out of this? You're just catching up with an old friend. It's not exactly brain surgery.
Quote by Minicaxotinho

In which case, ask about him a lot, or reminisce about the past. Then take the elements from the past (places, people, events) and talk about how they are in the present.

Try:
"Remember (name here)? He/she's a/an (occupation here) now and recently (accomplishment here)."
"That (place you used to hang out, landmark) was great. They recently remodeled it and there's now (amendment to place) here."
"Remember that time when (thing you did/used to do)? It's become a trend here and it's pretty cool."

Easy.

(1) You make something up that you need to be doing. Tell the brother
(2) The brother won't mind, because it isn't like you can shoot the shit forever with your old friend. Every conversation has to end at some point.
(3) The brother is totally unreasonable and the two never contact you ever again because you lied.

You don't even need to say you "have to go." Just say you're leaving, you're not obligated to talk to this person until you have to go do something else. No reasonable person would be offended by another person ending a conversation after it's run dry.
Quote by Minicaxotinho

ask him if he's single and send me pics
Ok, I feel like my goal is to last as much as possible in the conversation, then I won't feel bad to say goodbye.

Pretty much like sex...

Hope I don't have #prematuresocialdisconnection

EDIT: bdum tsss
I have this problem a lot too but it always turns out fine. In my experience it just happens organically, and the more you think "oh god how should I reply to this" or "oh god where do I go with this" and "what do I say" the easier it is. For me, anyway. I can't speak for anyone else.
Quote by R. Shackleford.
Glad to see the sex king getting some action I think it might be time for me to pull him out again tonight and take him for a spin around the rift.
When the conversation gets stale (ran out of things to talk about), just say: "Ok, I'm going to let you go now. It was really good catching up. Keep in touch!"

Get his email or some shit to make it more convincing that you'll actually stay in contact

He may even beat you to the punch with it. He's probably thinking this is going to be just as awkward as you think it's going to be.

It doesn't have to be any more difficult than that and anyone who gets offended by that has some growing up to do.
Quote by macaroni
Strip for him

This right here is the best possible decision. I'd recommend wearing some red lingerie to spice things up a bit.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Damn, last night when I made this thread I felt more confident than I'm feeling now.

It's like my social skills are better when I'm close to passing out due to sleep
You'll be fine. He's your friend right, ezpz. A lot of my friends are scattered all over the world so i'm used to not talking for years and then suddenly we're both online at the same time so why not make a video call

Usually starts out with overenthusiastic "HEY HOW ARE YOU I HAVENT SEEN YOU IN SO LONG YOU LOOK SO DIFFERENT/THE SAME what have you been up to" and then it just kinda goes on from there.

If it's getting awkward then during a pause just be like hey it was great talking to you let's do this another time and then you don't ever have to talk again if you don't want to. Or if it's not awkward then talk about when you're both free and can talk next or something.
cat
Thanks everybody, I felt a bit better after reading your stuff.

If you're wondering how the conversation went... His brother didn't show up
(It was raining a lot all day today, so I'm assuming that's the reason... )