I recently picked up a '98 MIM Fender P-bass, and going to swap out the pickups and electronics. I'm thinking about getting Seymour Duncans SPB-2, so I'd like to hear some input/opinions on these and also other pup suggestions.

I play a lot of stoner/doom/sludge, and thus am looking for something punchy, fat, and warm while still being present (without being too bright though)! Similar to Sabbath, High on Fire/Sleep, Mastodon, etc. Something that can handle overdrive/fuzz as well.

I have an old Peavey 2x15D cab with Scorpion Plus speakers, and while somewhat on the bright side, moves a bunch of air and has nice solid sound to it. I'm currently using a Peavey Ultra Plus guitar tube amp (I know, this is where a lot of my tone could be made better), until I have enough money saved for an actual bass amp.

Thanks for any input!
Save your money for the amp. Nicer pick ups will not make a difference through a guitar amp. In fact, nicer pick ups might not even sound that much better on a bass amp. But if you start using a bass amk, your tone will automatically be 100 bass playing skill coins better
Quote by bassalloverthe
Save your money for the amp. Nicer pick ups will not make a difference through a guitar amp. In fact, nicer pick ups might not even sound that much better on a bass amp. But if you start using a bass amk, your tone will automatically be 100 bass playing skill coins better

This I am aware of, and money for a bass amp is already being saved. I've got the money for pups for the time being so I'm going to get a set regardless because in the endgame I'll have an amp and pups anyways.

That's why I asked for info on the SPB-2 and other pup suggestions
I've never actually played the SPB-3 (Quarter Pounders) but I thought about upgrading to these at one point. Through various reviews and youtube videos I decided on these. I never got around to actually making the upgrade though. I suggest you give these a listen as they are very punchy. But as always, it is up to you and your preference.
Good luck!

This video compares the SPB-3 and SPB-4 on two tracks. Check it out.
Last edited by DFX11 at Oct 11, 2014,