I'm looking at getting a tube combo amp that can handle harder genres of rock, and Orange is my front runner. However, Mesas have also been recommended to me. I haven't found any near me to look at, so far, but I'm still looking around.

I have found some 5:25, Stiletto, and the TA-30 online- what do Mesa fans think of these?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I had a 5-25 for a couple of weeks. Fantastic chimey clean channel, but it was too noisy. We tried a whole lot of things to get it quieter, but nothing worked, so I returned it and got an H&K Statesman instead.

I also like the clean sound of the Transatlantic, and that would be high on my list if I was getting a new amp.
stepping up to the big guys? 20 guitars and a second amp.

honestly $800 get a used MKIV combo. i have it in head form but the combos are great too. splawn has a 1x12" out now i believe. i haven't checked them for a while.

i am also a big fan or orange.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
one really nice thing about the MKIV is that it has masters per channel, then a global master, post EQ i can play until 2am and its nice and quiet IF i want it. i don't thing the splawn would be great quiet though judging by my splawns (PMKT88 and Nitro KT88)

what are you looking to spend?

the TA is nice too. i did't like the 5:25.

IIRC the stiletto is a re with EL34's or something. i almost bought one. but i haven't tried one either.

or maybe a MKIV. i can honestly say that between the IV or the V its down to preference, they are a little different. i am sure some time down the road and pick one up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Have you auditioned any of those amps you listed?
I'd like to keep my purchase under $1K. Used is most likely.

My HRD handles most everything I throw at it, but I want an amp that sounds better doing heavier genres. I listen to & play all kinds of hard rock & metal and I'm not looking to emulate anyone in particular.

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. Besides Fender, Peavey, Vox and a couple other brands, my FLMS can get damn near any Orange I want, but carries no Mesas. Haven't found any Mesas nearby anyepwhere else, yet, either. I know Peaveys are popular in the heavy metal set, but I haven't had good experiences with them. Several GCs are within 9 miles of me, and there is one huge Sam Ash @ 40 minutes away. I know of some other stores, but most of them are carrying gear my wallet has no interest in, IYKNIMAITYD.

No gigging in the forseeable future. I play for myself. All I NEED is something small. But even though my 40w HRD has never been fully opened up, I'd rather spend the money on something that has enough power for a gig, just in case.

My gear is, as hinted at by trashedlostfdup, is 20+ guitars of various kinds- HH, HSS, HHH, H/P90, 2xmHB, etc. from Fret-King, Malden, Electra, Dean, Fernandes, Jon Kammerer, Rock Beach, and Reverend., a good 10+sq feet of pedals, and the HRD.

Timetable is no hurry at all. I'm a deliberate shopper who won't pull the trigger until I'm certain. I took 3 years to buy my HRD after I had already bought 2 electrics- I played exclusively through headphones and a Kork Px4 until then. OTOH, once I decide I like somethng, I might buy it within 24-48 hours.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'd like to keep my purchase under $1K. Used is most likely.

My HRD handles most everything I throw at it, but I want an amp that sounds better doing heavier genres. I listen to & play all kinds of hard rock & metal and I'm not looking to emulate anyone in particular.

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. Besides Fender, Peavey, Vox and a couple other brands, my FLMS can get damn near any Orange I want, but carries no Mesas. Haven't found any Mesas nearby anyepwhere else, yet, either. I know Peaveys are popular in the heavy metal set, but I haven't had good experiences with them. Several GCs are within 9 miles of me, and there is one huge Sam Ash @ 40 minutes away. I know of some other stores, but most of them are carrying gear my wallet has no interest in, IYKNIMAITYD.

No gigging in the forseeable future. I play for myself. All I NEED is something small. But even though my 40w HRD has never been fully opened up, I'd rather spend the money on something that has enough power for a gig, just in case.

My gear is, as hinted at by trashedlostfdup, is 20+ guitars of various kinds- HH, HSS, HHH, H/P90, 2xmHB, etc. from Fret-King, Malden, Electra, Dean, Fernandes, Jon Kammerer, Rock Beach, and Reverend., a good 10+sq feet of pedals, and the HRD.

Timetable is no hurry at all. I'm a deliberate shopper who won't pull the trigger until I'm certain. I took 3 years to buy my HRD after I had already bought 2 electrics- I played exclusively through headphones and a Kork Px4 until then. OTOH, once I decide I like somethng, I might buy it within 24-48 hours.

/MKIV/end thread.

it will do about anything. the right pedals (don't really need them) can really make it shine. i wish i had recording gear to show you some of the tone you can get out of them. they areee $800 for the combo.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Hmm...not seeing any under $1000 online.

But that is today- I'll keep looking!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Hmm...not seeing any under $1000 online.

But that is today- I'll keep looking!

i see them from under a grand all the time.

one nice thing too is that you don't have to swap the speaker. that saves $150 in comparison. you know what most of us know. XXX/JSX? but you can do better than that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
There's the Mesa Mark Five: 25.
Don't know if you can find one for under a grand, though, and since it was released recently it's probably too early to find them used.

EDIT: Wait, you mentioned it on the OP, and I don't know how but I thought you were talking about the Mini Rectifier 25. Maybe give that a shot too? Those have been around for some time now, so used ones should be available.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Oct 11, 2014,
Check out the Mesa DC series. it is from the mark family and is a great amp that is quite versatile. Here is a DC-5 for $550
www.guitarcenter.com/Mesa-Boogie-Used-Mesa-Boogie-DC-5-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110540886-i3944704.gc

here is a Mark IV for $1099
www.guitarcenter.com/Mesa-Boogie-Used-Mesa-Boogie-Mark-IV-1X12-100w-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110578818-i3974723.gc

The stiletto is a nice amp, but it is very bright. I think K-100 or CL-80 speakers would be a great fit for it because of how bright it is.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Rectoverb combo love mine. Good cleans great gain channel.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals