Hello, last year I was on here alot asking questions about amp building and got alot of help. I built a soldano x88r lead channel preamp and it sounds badass. now I will expand on the preamp by adding a 50w power amp, clean channel, and wireless switching.

this is how the amp looks now:

This is the guts. Scary aint it? I am going to remove the entire circuit, redo the power supply which is the pcb and add a power amp + clean channel to preamp circuit. The clean channel will go on a separate tagboard which will be stacked on top of this one(this is asking for parasitic oscillation, but ill do my darndest to get this right the first time).
hopefully I will rewire it more tidy this time.

this is the tone I get from the preamp with gain at 12oc, varying volume on guitar:

https://soundcloud.com/rampage222555/preamp

this was the preamp straight into a vintage 30 impulse in reaper. Theres some noise and mud which I hope to fix by rewiring the amp neater and fixing some bypass cap values. I lost some caps while building and ended up installing half the required value bypass cap in the first gain stage and 1/10th the value cap on the 2nd stage.

the lead channel is for the most part soldano x88r/slo with a parallel triode first gain stage. the clean channel will be the x88r design, but will have a HIWATT tone stack. the poweramp is the 50W design found on the slo schematic online. The switching will be done with an arduino in the amp, will have a wireless footswitch to control the fx loop and the 2 channels. Will also have fading led strips in the head cab(blue for clean channel, red for lead channel).

I will build the speaker cab with 2 eminence fdm maverick speakers(the ones with volumes). will be a diagonal 2x12 cab inspired by the panama guitars cabs:

It will likely be a crap cab since all I have is 5 ply 1/2" mahogany plywood with more voids than a termite mound, but Ill just wing it anyway. I can always build a better cab later. I will also be building the head cab. I dont have any real wood lying around but the crap plywood I have does have a pretty veneer, a really really thin pretty veneer, which I will use as the baffle and stain blue.

this project will be done throughout the next month. Deadline is november 7, the date where I will present this to the future freshmen at university as well as present this as my subgraduate investigation project. wood will be cut next week and hopefully I will get the speaker and head cab glued, tolexed and speakered up the same week. The week after is when I start the extremely "fun" task of dismantling the preamp and drawing a new power supply pcb. I will be posting pictures.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by Zerath
This is so cool! what is it that creates the distortion?

if you mean the sound clip, the dirt comes in when I raise the volume on the guitar. with the guitar volume low, there is a low voltage being amplified in the amp which doesnt quite reach full on clipping by the time it gets to the output. When I raise the volume, a much bigger voltage comes out of the guitar(though its still a very low voltage) which is enough for the signal to start clipping at the first gain stage.

my setup was guitar -> preamp ->pc(straight into a vintage 30 IR).
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1