http://www.dougstubes.com/power-tubes/6l6-5881-kt66/jj-6l6gc.html

So Doug's Tubes is the only place I can find it. MF, GC, SamAsh, eBay etc. don't have an option for late distortion or a hard JJ 6L6GC. However, Doug's tube doesn't have JJ's available as a pair. They redirect you to the Ruby version for pairs and quads, but there's no option for late distortion on the Rubies. Does anyone know where I can get any? If not, is there any other tube that is good as the JJ and can give me high headroom?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
The reason that you can't find them at any of those retailers is because they don't test tubes before they sell them. Late distortion JJs aren't labeled or produced as such from the factory; they're ones that are selected after the fact by more thorough tube dealers like Doug, Tube Depot, KCA, etc.

Call up Doug, I'm sure he can get you what you want.
Bob at Eurotubes can probably help as well https://www.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=3&sub_category_id=22

I'm thinking that amp design has as much to do with "late distortion" as the tubes, though. I think "late distortion tubes" are more of an Internet Myth than reality.

A Carvin TS-100 rack-mount stereo tube power amp can use EL-34s or 6L6s in either channel, and it seems to produce lower distortion up to its rated power than almost any guitar tube amp I know of. In fact, you can use the thing for hi-fi if you wish. The same tubes tossed into a Marshall will get all loose and flatulent at the drop of a hat, and THD is over 5% at idle.
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 11, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
I'm thinking that amp design has as much to do with "late distortion" as the tubes, though. I think "late distortion tubes" are more of an Internet Myth than reality.
Not sure why you're declaring them a myth having had no experience with them. Obviously amp design has a big effect on headroom but that is not at all the question here.

The difference is not huge, but it is noticeable, especially with EL84s and with amps that do not have a phase inverter. A stereo power amp which runs high-power pentode tubes at a very cold bias is not a good example of a power tube sensitive amp. It's like saying "high octane fuel is a myth because my Silverado runs just fine on any kind of gas." Of course it does, it was designed for that. It just doesn't accurately model every other vehicle out there.
Quote by Roc8995
The reason that you can't find them at any of those retailers is because they don't test tubes before they sell them. Late distortion JJs aren't labeled or produced as such from the factory; they're ones that are selected after the fact by more thorough tube dealers like Doug, Tube Depot, KCA, etc.

Call up Doug, I'm sure he can get you what you want.

Yeah.

Call up Doug and say, "Hi Doug, I like it hard and late, what can you do for me?"
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?