Explorers are sexy, and I need one in my arsenal. There's the epiphone goth explorer and the dean z's. Both are pretty much the same (Gibson scale, mahogany). So which one is best? Are there any others? Budget- under 400 Music taste- good ol' thrash and stoner-doom. Gear- valveking 112, metal muff. Tuning- 1 1/2 steps down
My main axe is made from the crucifix, strung with barbed wire, and tuned to z standard then i use a boss metal zone, gain 10, into a line 6, bass 10, mid 0, treble 10, this is the only way to be truly brootal
Have you tried either of them?

Most of it is down to preference & actually getting out there & finding out which you like best.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'd have the Epiphone Gothic.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I'd go with the Epiphone. Sole reasoning being I hate Dean necks.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If you have to choose between the two you posted, get the Epiphone. If you're open to suggestions, look at an Ibanez Destroyer.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
Yeah I have heard of the ibanez.I played a start type dean and it was the worst neck I've ever played, maybe there all like that. Does the ibenez have a super thin shredfest neck?
My main axe is made from the crucifix, strung with barbed wire, and tuned to z standard then i use a boss metal zone, gain 10, into a line 6, bass 10, mid 0, treble 10, this is the only way to be truly brootal
Dean necks vary from model to model. The one on my EVO is rather thick, while the one on my Cadillac is almost Ibanez thin.

Anyway, check out eBay, Guitar Center, Reverb, Adirondack Guitars and other used gear outlets. Mothers are all, kinds of Explorer type guitars out there.

For example, I was looking at this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bacchus-BEX-MG-mango-Global-Series-New-Explorer-model-shipping-free-worldwide-/181552878106?pt=Guitar&hash=item2a4565121a

...and stumbled on this:
www.ebay.com/itm/Tokai-Explorer-Custom-Paint-Floyd-Rose-Active-Electronics-MIJ/271628002193?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D1c9722addb6843a6941d0f0812d6e882%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D20131003132420%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D181552878106&rt=nc
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by elsatanica
Yeah I have heard of the ibanez.I played a start type dean and it was the worst neck I've ever played, maybe there all like that. Does the ibenez have a super thin shredfest neck?

Ibanez necks are on the thinner side, yes. The wizard D shape is the thinnest but I think a standard C shape neck is on the destroyers.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by gregs1020
+1 on the bacchus. and that's a huge plus one.

-1 on the tokai. bolt on necks don't belong on explorers, sorry minor cork sniffer attack came over me. it may be a great guitar though it certainly screams shredder.

Well, the Bacchus is 2x the stated budget, while the Tokai is within it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Idk why no one's mentioned Ltd yet, the EX-400 would probably fall into that budget and IMO its a much much better guitar than either of the ones mentioned.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, the Bacchus is 2x the stated budget, while the Tokai is within it.

oh under $400? yeah, only i can get bacchus guitars that cheap. then again, i risk losing every dollar in the process.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I have a ESP LTD EX-50 and I really like it. It's affordable and plays great. I strongly encourage you trying it out.
That Tokai Explorer is pretty unusual, with the string-thru and the non-hockeystick headstock. It's pretty much a superstrat but with an Explorer body :p

But within your budget you can find Korean Explorers and they are great I can tell you at least as good as the Epiphones which are also really nice. Both feel more, well vintage than the Dean.

How metal do you want it? jackson Kellys maybe?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I don't really want to turn this in to a what guitar thread but do you guys think its better to get an SG g400 pro? The reason I ask thisis because the pickups seem better than the explorers and they are easier to find. Maybe I am cursed from Gibson and I will be stuck with strats for the rest of my life
The SG has Alnico Classic PROs and the Explorer Alnico Classics... yes they are supposed to be better. But they're different guitars, different sounds.

Personally I like Explorers over SGs x1000. But the SG is definitely more portable
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Yeah I agree the explorer is definetly the best looking. Guess its time for me to hit guitar center. Thank you guys