So I just got an electric guitar (it's not brand new it was used by one of my brothers) But I one problem, I don't have an Amp... My dad thought we had one but we couldn't find it and I'm still young and don't have money for an amp so could I practice without the amp until I have enough money for one or what? I'm just confused if it will do anything to the guitar.

xox G.J
It will not do anything bad to the guitar.

Practicing with an amp will give you an idea of the result you'll actually be getting, though some might argue practicing without an amp could be better for practicing dynamics and similar.

So, yeah, definitely try it and keep doing it if you don't find it frustrating
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I would suggest playing in a very quiet room so that you can hear everything. If the room is noisy and so you're picking harder on the strings to hear the music, you'll get used to that level of picking force. Once you get (or find) an amp, you can experiment with how little force you need to actually get a sound out of the instrument (and its substantially less when you're using high gain). I've found fast playing to be much easier after I started backing off on my picking force.
Quote by Spambot_2
It will not do anything bad to the guitar.

Practicing with an amp will give you an idea of the result you'll actually be getting, though some might argue practicing without an amp could be better for practicing dynamics and similar.

So, yeah, definitely try it and keep doing it if you don't find it frustrating

+1

look to eventually get an amp if you can, but it won't do any harm to the guitar in the meantime if you practise unplugged
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Preferably I woudln't play without an amp, but that's because I play heavy metal and need an amp tone to hear how the distortion effects my tone, as well as an amp will definitely pick up on noise, such as if you're not muting unused strings and feedback, you can always grab one of those micro amps for about £30, but as for the guitar, not playing an amp will literally not harm the guitar in any way, except you might hit the strings harder than you'd need to, but that wouldn't harm it
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
Thanks for all the helpful advice I'm going to try to save up enough money for an amp and convince my dad. But for now I'll play without an amp and get better at my cords.
Only bad part is that you can have some string noise that won't be very noticeable without an amp, but will stick out like a sore thumb when you get one.