I had earlier paid for a epi les paul tribute, but I changed my mind and ended up getting a 2014 Gibson studio. I have been to guitar center several times trying different amps, but I don't know enough to make a good decision yet. I don't know how to play enough things to really tell. I am looking for something for a townhouse. I wont be able to crank it much but Ill be able to play through headphones too. Some friends have mentioned a POD. I would really like a modeling amp so I can just automatically get the sounds I am familiar with. Anyway I tried the blackstarht-5r and the ones with IVP I think its called. I like 80s 90s rock but I also like some new stuff, r&B, and pretty much everything but country. What are some recommendations?
Something like a Fender Mustang, or a friend of mine has a Yamaha THR10C Classic Combo Modeling amp that sounds very nice. Or you could get a Pod Studio that just plugs into your computer and you use headphones or studio monitors for sound. I've been using a Pod Studio UX1 for several months now and love it. Plenty of amp and cabinet models so you can get just about any sound you want.
I've been playing guitar for 8 years, and I bought a Line 6 POD HD for home practicing. That one in particular has 19 real life amp models, 3 made by Line 6, and a bass amp model. Its got a ton of effects, and the knobs are fairly well laid out and its pretty intuitive. A few hours in I think I got the hang of it. On each amp model you gain adjust gain, treble, bass, mid, presence, and a couple more options that I forgot.

But in my opinion, what you want is an actual guitar amp that you can have the option of cranking and having stuff in your house shake and move, which is what we all want, even if its not entirely practical, haha.

If you do want to get a modeling amp though, you could look into the Roland Cube or the Peavey Vypyr. I do not have experience with either, but they are well received and liked in GG&A. The Peavey Vypyr is arguably better if you're looking at playing metal more than anything else, but from your preferences, I would check out the Roland Cube first, then the Peavey Vypyr, and then a Line 6 Pod.

Hope that helps!
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
I've been playing guitar for 8 years, and I bought a Line 6 POD HD for home practicing. That one in particular has 19 real life amp models, 3 made by Line 6, and a bass amp model. Its got a ton of effects, and the knobs are fairly well laid out and its pretty intuitive. A few hours in I think I got the hang of it. On each amp model you gain adjust gain, treble, bass, mid, presence, and a couple more options that I forgot.

But in my opinion, what you want is an actual guitar amp that you can have the option of cranking and having stuff in your house shake and move, which is what we all want, even if its not entirely practical, haha.

If you do want to get a modeling amp though, you could look into the Roland Cube or the Peavey Vypyr. I do not have experience with either, but they are well received and liked in GG&A. The Peavey Vypyr is arguably better if you're looking at playing metal more than anything else, but from your preferences, I would check out the Roland Cube first, then the Peavey Vypyr, and then a Line 6 Pod.

Hope that helps!

Yes is does, I have heard about the pod. I have a surround sound on my tv, do you just basically hook it up that way and play through speakers? What amps does it model?
I'm not sure, but you may be able to hook it up to your tv. It does have a left and right mono out, but I dont know what they're for... oops.

And just click on "Model gallery" to see what amps it models.

http://line6.com/support/manuals/podhd
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame