Hi, this is my first time posting here so please excuse me if this isnt the correct area for my thread. Anyways, i picked up a Princeton 112 from a second-hand shop the other day because it was cheap (50 bucks!), i heard the cleans were amazing, and i figured i'd get a cheap amp just to see what kind of tone i could get out of it. Now the cleans are superb, but i want to match them with an equally nice sounding distortion for 80's metal. Would a Metal Muff pedal get me there?
what type of 80s metal?

I haven't tried a metal muff (and i haven't tried your amp, which affects how the pedal sounds quite a bit )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I play mostly Metallica and some Megadeth
Last edited by lafranchisebr at Oct 11, 2014,
An MXR M78 Badass Distortion should do the trick, give it a try.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Metal Muff sounds cool, it will surely do the trick when playing thrash/ heavy metal so I'd give it a try
Quote by lafranchisebr
I play mostly Metallica and some Megadeth

ok, thanks

you just want something that sounds kind of marshally/hot rod marshally and which lets you dial in a bit of a scoop in the mids

it's ages since i've tried them but i wonder if one of the marshall pedals (guvnor or jackhammer) might do it on the cheap.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Not to piss in your cheerios but I don't think that amp is gonna do metal. The more gain you add, the harsher and fizzier it gets. I used to have the 212 and even gigged with it in a very grunge inspired band. I used a Boss Blues Driver for gain and it gave me a pretty good grunge tone (listened to some of my old bands songs recently and was stunned by how good it sounded). Its gonna give you more bees in a can than chug and thump if you add lots of gain. It just doesn't handle lots of gain very well. If you wanna get as close as possible, I highly recommend a blues driver. It's not you typical pedal for metal but, imo, it'll give you the best sounding, most gain you can get out of that amp.

That's just my experience so maybe I'm wrong, I don't really play metal. But I did spend years playing on a Princeton Chorus, its an excellent solid state amp, just not really for metal.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
i ran an old ish princeton 112, with an mt2 (yes, hate away) and an mxr m-109 six band eq in front of it and it always did well enough for me, it doesnt have that upper mid punch youd probably need, but the lacking tones can be compensated for with the extra equalization. plus it helps balance that god awful high end from the mt2
I just bought the amp on a whim to see what i could do with it, if worse comes to worse then i can just return the pedal and sell the amp for a good amount. Keep the suggestions coming though!
Last edited by lafranchisebr at Oct 12, 2014,