https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT8rx8CSlSQ

What can I do to get that sound from my guitar? Would I need to get new pickups or could I do it with effects?
I am going to be moving to an apartment soon so I bought Guitar Rig amp sim because I can't use a real amp once I move.
Can I achieve that sound through the effects on Guitar Rig?
Sounds like two guitar tracks harmonized to me...
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Either two tracks or an octaver effect box. Also probably more than that, high gain amp with an overdrive pedal, most likely some delay and reverb...Hard to tell on my crappy laptop speakers, but I think I hear some delay and reverb in there, and after a couple of listens I think I hear enough differences to think it's two tracks.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by ls2014
That's what I thought as well but this guy also has the same effect and he's playing live:
http://youtu.be/AAPCbsFoMx8?list=UUeDfS8P2YAOV1EwIEuUogYQ

It seems like the settings used for that sound is used by a lot of Japanese guitarists.

It's multiple guitar tracks. I don't know if you noticed but that guy clearly isn't playing the whole song live; there's a backing track that has the harmony parts recorded. The first thing you posted might not have multiple guitar tracks but it definitely has a synth part harmonising the lead guitar line.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's multiple guitar tracks. I don't know if you noticed but that guy clearly isn't playing the whole song live; there's a backing track that has the harmony parts recorded. The first thing you posted might not have multiple guitar tracks but it definitely has a synth part harmonising the lead guitar line.

I suspected that the guy might have just pre recorded the whole song and recorded the video without actually plugging his guitar in.
Is there actually no way to get that effect for a live performance? I tried octavers but they sound too robotic.
Definitely multiple guitar tracks and a backing track.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Quote by ls2014
I suspected that the guy might have just pre recorded the whole song and recorded the video without actually plugging his guitar in.
Is there actually no way to get that effect for a live performance? I tried octavers but they sound too robotic.

Backing tracks, multiple guitarists, there are some amazing harmonizers out there (expensive though)... I think that's about it though.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Might I add, harmoniser pedals sound robotic because it's perfectly in time when harmonising a guitar. The reason it sounds so natural in the videos is that- unless this person hooked up the guitar to a MIDI controller and spent a lot of time syncing it perfectly in Melodyne (which isn't the case)- it's a human being(s) playing multiple tracks.

If you want it to sound very natural, you'll need other guitarists with you live. Or you could pre-record a track for yourself, which a lot of guitarists would deem blasphemous, for what it's worth.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Oct 11, 2014,