Which is the better voltage for a cleanish boost to hit front of my amps in sig. Thanks ahead of time.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Really this wouldn't be the best way to determine what the best boost is. The design of the pedal is what determines that, the only thing that and 18 volt supply would change (everything else being the same) is more output from the pedal before it clips.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
^ this answers my question. I want closest to absolute clean.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Gotta save up for one of those for now I'll use ehx glove od switched to 18 volt.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
^ EHX soul food

not sure there's any need to go up to the dearer ones if you're only using it as a boost since (I think; don't quote me on this) the germanium clipping diodes in the dearer ones don't even clip with the drive at 0.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Lots of pedals boost the voltage internally these days, so the input voltage is not a good measure of a pedal's headroom.

So if you just want a super clean boost, ask for a super clean boost. Don't worry about the voltage
^ Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Everything else being equal, 18V (probably... don't quote me on that ) means more headroom i.e. a "cleaner" boost before it starts to dirty up. But everything else is very rarely equal, since different pedals often have different designs. (Of course, a lot of pedals are pretty derivative too, so don't just assume a "different" pedal is necessarily different, either.)

On the cheap(ish) though I'm guessing a soul food would be hard to beat.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ EHX soul food

not sure there's any need to go up to the dearer ones if you're only using it as a boost since (I think; don't quote me on this) the germanium clipping diodes in the dearer ones don't even clip with the drive at 0.

Makes sense. There's a "Clipping" switch on my overdrive that does absolutely nothing with the drive at 0.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Thanks for the good info guys any more ideas on other clean boosts besides soul food budget is 200 USD.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
you should be able to get virtually any clean boost on the market for 200 bucks. any that are much more than that are grounds for starting to get suspicious, considering how basic most boosts are...

Quote by lemurflames
Makes sense. There's a "Clipping" switch on my overdrive that does absolutely nothing with the drive at 0.

yeah, though some ods will still clip a little with the drive at 0. I think (as i said, don't quote me) the soul food/klon has been tested by those who understand electronics and they say the mojoville ge diodes don't clip with the gain at 0. In fact I think I read that they don't clip until the gain gets a fair way up (11 o'clock?), it's just op-amp (?) clipping before that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 12, 2014,
What does UG community use? Can be cheap as well as long as it does the job I'm good with it.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Timmy, apparently... or something. I don't own one. I use an overpriced modded TS clone.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I use a Timmy. But I add some distortion from the pedal as well. If all you want is a dead clean boost, I'd go for a 10 band MXR EQ. Plenty of boost on tap and you can dial in whatever EQ curve you want.
On the cheap, the Dano Fish & Chips sounds pretty damn good. I gave up on it for live work though because the layout is far from ergonomical, I kept kicking the sliders. I didn't trust it to hold up to the rigors of gigging either. Sounds good though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have the mxr but usually I use it to fine tune gain channels like xxx is to damn bright etc etc so its on when gain channels are in use always. I'm more interested in more od's or just dedicated boost pedals. Will Timmy get very clean?
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
They do get pretty clean but even if you do add a bit of distortion from the pedal like I do, they are very transparent. Certainly worth having. Tim (greeny23) can build you one, drop him a line.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 12, 2014,
Thanks guys I'm definitely into custom builds would have my amp tech hook me up but he's out of commission for next 3 months and my skills are still at single knob boosts and simple fuzz box's.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Thanks for the heads up but I'm not a member there and would like to give my business to a fellow UGer if possible.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Talk to Tim.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by RJH11
What does UG community use? Can be cheap as well as long as it does the job I'm good with it.

I don't normally use a clean boost I'd rather have an od that gets pretty clean with the drive down low, as that gives me more options than a genuine clean boost which (for me anyway) is a bit of a one-trick pony.

I like my danelectro timmy clone best. I'm not sure I'm running it totally clean, though, with the drive on minimum is sounds a bit muffled, so I have the drive at about 8-9 o'clock. I also like how I have a bass knob so I can control the amount of bass cut (you can't do that with a klon or with my soul food).

if you're ok with a fairly transparent overdrive pedal which has a fair bit of boost available on tap, though, and aren't totally obsessed about it being genuinely pristinely clean, you have a lot of options, even on the cheap. soul food, cheap timmy clone (danelectro is discontinued, but caline does one i think... i haven't tried it, no idea what it's like), digitech screamin blues (glorified boss bd2), mooer pure boost... and that's just off the top of my head.

EDIT: that being said, out of what i've tried (and assuming I gave them a thorough test, which is a fairly big assumption considering I tend to just set and forget ), I think the soul food/klon is probably best if you want something which, to all intents and purposes, reacts like a clean boost with the drive control on zero.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 13, 2014,
Thanks dave I am going to try out one of Tims builds and see if its what I been after regardless I love ODs and it'll put another one in the stable.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?