So, it's come to my attention that Gibson are making a 7 string Les Paul. Great. But would anybody buy the thing? I can't imagine many players who like ERG's are Gibson players myself. Just because of the whole vintage thing.

I still don't get why Gibson attempt to make all these radical changes (for Gibson's) in the higher end Gibson range. They've done it with the robot, the Min-e-tune and the reverse flying V (:puke and it's obvious from feedback at least on this forum. That people who are wanting a Gibson, don't want those sort of features and instead what the classic Gibson identity and look (I have no sales numbers, but I'd be interested on seeing them)

So why not, try a few new radical idea's in the Epiphone range. Test them there and if there's enough of a Market, put them in the Gibson range and see how they do there?

Just my 0.02.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Kind of agree - I like my Gibsons because they're basic & don't have anything I don't need.

If I wanted gadgets, I'd almost certainly look elsewhere.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Gibson has done 7 strings in the past

2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 12, 2014,
Gibson is drunk this year, that's ok
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
Unfortunately, the ones they do are short scale (for a 7), pretty difficult to find and often neck heavy.

Gibson's like the woman with photos pasted to the wall opposite her couch...

They need someone to explain the whole ERG thing to them.
Quote by dspellman
Unfortunately, the ones they do are short scale (for a 7), pretty difficult to find and often neck heavy.

Gibson's like the woman with photos pasted to the wall opposite her couch...

They need someone to explain the whole ERG thing to them.

Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
It's almost impossible for Gibson to do anything innovative (or at least by their standards) because their fanbase prohibits it. When Gibson tries to make a guitar that's a bit off the wall, they try and make it appeal to both parties, but it doesn't work because it's impossible to please everyone. So the guitars flop.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
That's right because you can only use a 7 for metal.

ERG players can be as short sighted as all the mythical old fart Gibson owners they bash.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Oct 12, 2014,
Quote by Tom 1.0

This. I'd love a 7 string Gibson ES 335 or 175.
Quote by Fisheth24

So why not, try a few new radical idea's in the Epiphone range. Test them there and if there's enough of a Market, put them in the Gibson range and see how they do there?

Just my 0.02.

Maybe they've done exactly what you've just said! The Matt Heafy signature comes in 6 and 7 strings.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It's almost impossible for Gibson to do anything innovative (or at least by their standards) because their fanbase prohibits it. When Gibson tries to make a guitar that's a bit off the wall, they try and make it appeal to both parties, but it doesn't work because it's impossible to please everyone. So the guitars flop.

+1

Quote by Tom 1.0

ERG players can be as short sighted as all the mythical old fart Gibson owners they bash.

Lol that might well be true as well
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
[quote="Tom 1.0]That's right because you can only use a 7 for metal.

Didn't mean to offend with that, a lot of jazz players might like the 7 string, I'd kill for a Gibson 7 string archtop. (Metaphorically of course)
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Not only jazz, just cleaner stuff in general. Not that I usually care, but I'd rather play alternative music on a 335 7 string than I do on my Ibanez superstrat now. :P
Quote by Fisheth24
Didn't mean to offend with that, a lot of jazz players might like the 7 string, I'd kill for a Gibson 7 string archtop. (Metaphorically of course)

A 7-string jazz guitar? HERESY!

Uhhh...waitaminit.

www.eastmanguitars.com/portfolio/sam-dunn/
www.zzounds.com/item--IBAAFJ957
http://www.soundpure.com/p/mapson/10370?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=feed&gclid=CJ6CqK2rqMECFeQ7MgodqAYAEg

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Tom 1.0

I'm not sure why "short sighted..."

Until metal, about the only folks who played 7-strings were the occasional Jazz player, and George Van Eps was probably the best known of those. There weren't a lot of 7 strings around, period, and the ones that did exist were expensive. The good news is that the proliferation of metal players led to the proliferation of ERGs, and that gave us more choices. Unfortunately, most of those are in basic black.

The "old fart Gibson owners" aren't mythical; Gibson will readily admit that's their customer these days. They realize they need some entry level players, but building guitars with the Gibson logo on them for under $1000 really doesn't work for them.