So I've been playing for almost 10 years now. Nothing crazy, few bands here and there. I blew my last amp head like two years ago. It was pretty bad, not really salvageable. Tube head. Long story. It was overall pretty meh. Stopped playing seriously after a little while.

So now, i'm looking for a new amp head. I'm looking back into music being a pretty serious ordeal. I'm looking for suggestions for good amp heads that have good clean settings and a flexible distorted side. I usually play Metal and like to venture around different sounds and styles.

The cab I still use is a Randall 200W, and I usually play my ESP KH-2 or Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7. Right now I have my Laney solid state amp running through the cab as a temporary thing.

Looking to buy a new head for around or less than 1200US.

I'm pretty open to any ideas. Thanks for reading!
location?
is used OK?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Timitron38
I usually play Metal
Which of the thousand sub-genre's?
And what bands do you wanna sound like?

Also what speakers are in that randall cab?
'cause it may be worth upgrading them (or the whole cab) as well.

Anyway, the first amp that comes to my mind when I hear "metal" is the 6505.
Not amazing cleans though.
I mean, not bad or anything, but add the not-awesomeness to the speakers possibly designed with metal in mind and you get yourself a clean channel that leaves stuff to be desired.

Then there's Jet City.
Less angry, better sounding clean channel imo.
If you don't fancy modding amps then get the 100w head, else get whatever 2ch head and then add the depth control.

Though, again, depending on what kinda metal you play you might wanna get something else.

And are you willing to buy used stuff?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Maybe a used Mesa Mark IV? A 6505 might not be versatile enough for you, but it will deliver the brutalz.

Another amp I really dig is the Mesa Royal Atlantic -- beautiful cleans and nice high gain as well as light crunch -- though I doubt you'd find one even used with that budget.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Sorry for the late reply guys, thanks. I live just outside of Las Vegas. Used is fine as long as the condition isn't terrible of course.

My buddies and I usually mess around with a good deal of artists. Examples: Metallica, Suicide Silence, As I Lay Dying, Bullet for My Valentine, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy. If that is enough to get an idea. I don't personally strive to sound like any one artist. Just a distortion that can handle chords and then notes that don't get drowned out by all the noise. Cleans are important but I can handle one or the other not being exactly what im looking for.

As for the Cab im not sure exactly what is in it off hand. But I will consider an upgrade afterwards.

And I know my budget is a little low for what im probably looking for. But im not trying to break the bank just yet.
The Peavey JSX is amazingly versatile and it sounds really good. Great cleans, a great mid/hi-gain channel and a good hi-gain lead channel.
$499 JSX head
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-JSX-Joe-Satriani-Signature-120W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-110197277-i3814793.gc

And get rid of your Randall cab and get this Mesa Recto 4x12 for $450
www.guitarcenter.com/Mesa-Boogie-Used-Mesa-Boogie-Rectifier-4X12-280W-Slant-Guitar-Cabinet-110416659-i3933946.gc

Youll save a little off your budget after taxes/shipping so you can do a retube and possibly buy a boost pedal like a Ibanez TS-9 to get you those more extreme types of metal you want.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^^Thats actually not bad at all.

So is guitar center a decent place to look for used gear online? I've been to the local guys around me and they usually have pretty decent deals as well. But Vegas is a shady place of course.
Quote by Timitron38
^^Thats actually not bad at all.

So is guitar center a decent place to look for used gear online? I've been to the local guys around me and they usually have pretty decent deals as well. But Vegas is a shady place of course.

Yeah, because they will put some used stuff on clearance and you get it even cheaper. They also have a 30 day return policy on used gear so if you don't like it or there is something wrong with it you can return it.

I have bought several amps, cabs, pedals from them and have never had an issue. They will probably give you $100ish for your randall cab if it is in really good condition.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's still in damn near new condition. Ill have to go talk to them about that then.
Quote by Timitron38
It's still in damn near new condition. Ill have to go talk to them about that then.

Yeah, don't expect a lot for it. If it is made of plywood and not MDF, you can get a set of WGS Veteran 30 speakers and load your cab for $280. From musiciansfriend www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/warehouse-guitar-speakers-veteran-30-12-60w-british-invasion-guitar-speaker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TMYnuC2kUjQ

The mesa has V30's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Any word on the Laney heads? I said earlier that I had a regular amp. 65w i believe. I heard there is a new head but haven't seen much on it from anybody who wasnt selling it on youtube.
Laney makes some nice heads. The GH50/100 are great, but they are 1 channel amps, so they aren't the best for versatility. The Laney VH100r is a great amp, but I still would take the JSX over it if you need a great clean channel.

Here is a Laney VH100r for $550
www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-LANEY-VH100R-HEAD-NFS-109968810-i3702903.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate