Hey, new guy here. I'm pretty unfamiliar with guitar tech, so I have no idea if what I want to do is possible. I recently picked up one of these from a pawn shop a month or so ago. I love the guitar, but I wish it had a whammy bar. So I would like to know if it would be possible to get a bridge with a whammy bar and install it. It's particularly important to get one that can go both ways. I figure I'd have to cut the recess out to do that, which shouldn't be too much of an issue.

A) is this possible?
B) any good how-to's?
C) recommendations for bridges?

I'm no stranger to forums in general, so I know that one of you is going to tell me that I would be better off buying a guitar with the features I want, which I probably true, but I want fully explore my options.
It's definitely possible but you'd have to lose a lot of wood from the body. That's a front route, holes for the bridge posts, the back cavity for the springs, and the hole through the body for the bridge block.

Basically unless you have the tools and knowledge it's going to cost a lot to get a luthier to do it. That means, if you want to do it, you're going to need a router and skills to use it.

If you're not going to do it yourself... you could use the same money for parts and labour to just buy a better guitar with a floyd already on it.

So essentially... doable, yes. Advisable... well that's a whole different question.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”