I bought this Yamaha EG303 at Goodwill a few weeks ago for $20. It was missing the jack, jackplate, upper strap button and trem cover. I decided to do an upgrade using budget pickups.

it's all good..
Parts:
G.M. '62s Alnico 5 pickups from an eBay seller named GuitarMadness, $26.47 with shipping,
Oak-Gringsby switch
2x Bourns 250k pots (I've been wanting to try them.)
Jack Plate,
Strap Buttons,
and from my own parts box: good quality jack and capacitor.

Old electronics on top left.

it's all good..
Last edited by AstroZon at Oct 12, 2014,
After:

I wanted to use the old pickup covers, but the GuitarMaddness pups are 50,50, and 52. The Yamaha's were all 52. Oh well, it's not like I'll be wooing anyone with this guitar's awesome vintageness anyway.

it's all good..
The Yamaha EG303 is one of those guitars sold in a starter kit: basswood body, budget electronics, but a pretty good neck and better than average tuners. According the serial, it was made in Taiwan in 1998. It's a great little guitar to modify. Mine now sounds and plays great! (although I still have to set the intonation.)

it's all good..
Nice How are the pickups?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Nice How are the pickups?

They sound good! Neck:6.0k, Middle:6.0k RWRP, Bridge 6.4k, and all Alnico 5 magnets - so very close to vintage '62 Fender pups. I can get a real close Clapton's "Tulas Time" sound in the Bridge/Mid position and Knopfler's early sound in the Neck/Mid. The neck pup is bluesy / mildly jazzy. All in all, I'm real happy with them for the price.

(I just checked the GuitarMadness store on eBay, and these pickups are no longer listed. Hopefully, he'll get more in, but I think other vendors sell them as well.)

Also, I like the rolloff on the Bourns pots - very different from CTS. The tone sounds really good in bass positions.

Altogether, I have about $75 in this guitar now including a new set of strings.
it's all good..
Last edited by AstroZon at Oct 13, 2014,
Thanks

Yeah I've heard good things about bourns pots but haven't got as far as trying them (as usual).

And yeah if the specs are right and they're made halfway decently at all, the pickups are probably going to sound at least decent. I'm not sure it makes sense to throw tons of money at boutique pickups for a cheap guitar; conversely buying something really cheap as an upgrade which isn't actually an upgrade is also a waste of money. It's nice there seems to be more and more decent kit available these days at reasonable prices.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The black jack plate is a nice touch!
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
The black jack plate is a nice touch!

Thanks. There was just a hole there when I bought it, so I wasn't sure what color it was originally. I've since seen a photo of another EG303 online, and the jackplate is black plastic and not recessed. The plate I ordered came with the jack, but it felt cheap, so I swapped it with a spare that I had around.

I played this yesterday for 3 hours though my Peavey Chorus 210 on the clean channel and a Boss OD3. Nice! This is definitely the best budget build I've ever done.
it's all good..
Last edited by AstroZon at Oct 13, 2014,
One more photo of the EG303 with my Yamaha Bass: a 32" scale, 3 passive pickup funster, Yamaha RBX Super Medium Series. I bought it used about 10 years ago. I think I paid $90 for it. Great bass for playing with a pick.

it's all good..
I have always loved the yamaha headstock .... I need to pick up a pacifica, wanted one from the first time I saw an ad in GFTPM of michael lee firkins with one....man thats a long long time ago now