I currently have an DigiTech RP255, Rocksmith RealTone cable, marshall 15 watts amp and a Aria electric guitar. I wish to record my guitar but my mobile phone completely sucks at it! I thought of buying a Shure Sm-57 but i just came to know that i need an audio interface with that.
what options do i have? Should i just use audacity and record my guitar directly via RP255?

I need something with decent quality and least headache....

Thanks!
Have you read the stickies?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
another possibility might be a USB mic. google or youtube for the popular ones.

Otherwise, yeah, with an SM57 youll need a usb interface such as a focusrite 2i4 or similar
Quote by JohnProphet
another possibility might be a USB mic.
I would advise against this - no USB mic sounds particularly good and noone is really suited for electric guitar amp's recordings.

Yeah TS, read the stickies.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I read the stickies and i'm not really looking to spend much, buying an Sm57 is okay but audio interface you are taking about costs 3 x sm57 over here. What other options do i have?
As written in the interfaces sticky, you can either go direct into your computer (you might use the RP255 USB output if it also carries the audio signal) or record your amp, for which you'd need a mic AND an audio interface.

Also you can still get an interface that doesn't cost much more than the 57.
You sure you read the sticky carefully?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by varundbest
I read the stickies and i'm not really looking to spend much, buying an Sm57 is okay but audio interface you are taking about costs 3 x sm57 over here. What other options do i have?

I think you might have missed part of the FAQ in the sticky... and the bit about the alternatives in Multitrackers and why USB mics aren't a good substitute. Were you paying attention?

Things cost money, if you're actually interested in recording then you pretty much have to buy one if you want to record yourself with any kind of quality. You can't make an omelette without buying the eggs first, it doesn't matter how much you want that omelette; you still have to make the investment.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Oct 13, 2014,
I wish to record so that I know how much improvement I'm making over time. So that's why I need some simple method which doesn't require much of a hassle. And which cheap audio interface can I get?
And will direct recording sounds good
?
Tried audacity with realtone cable, it sucked...
Quote by varundbest
I wish to record so that I know how much improvement I'm making over time. So that's why I need some simple method which doesn't require much of a hassle. And which cheap audio interface can I get?

In this case, I'd recommend you buy a GuitarLink (or one of the numerous off-brands) for $15 on eBay.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
In this case, I'd recommend you buy a GuitarLink (or one of the numerous off-brands) for $15 on eBay.

And that would work with sm57? Any major performance drops, still better than usb mic?
It will not. Go look at the new version of the sticky and find the cheapest interface that has a mic input.

Honestly for saying you're more interested in tracking playing ability you seem very certain that you have to use an SM57.

Can you run through exactly what it is you want and what your budget is again?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
It will not. Go look at the new version of the sticky and find the cheapest interface that has a mic input.

Honestly for saying you're more interested in tracking playing ability you seem very certain that you have to use an SM57.

Can you run through exactly what it is you want and what your budget is again?

I've heard sm57 is good. I wish to track my playing and since my phone's microphone is more interested in fan noise than my guitar, i need a decent recording microphone. I'll also use it to make youtube videos later on. However imminent need is of tracking the progress only.

Budget is not really specific but around the cost of sm57...
Quote by varundbest
And that would work with sm57? Any major performance drops, still better than usb mic?

No, but if you also download some free amp sims (see the Amp & Cab Sims Sticky), then you'll save a ton. Just plug your guitar straight into the GuitarLink, power up your DAW, pull up a track with said amp sims, and record. Boom!

A GuitarLink is $15. Compare that to the cheapest interface, which would be like $150 on eBay.

Edit:
I'm not sure why you're set on using an SM57. It's a good mic, but (with the method I briefly described above) you don't need it. If you want to mic your amp, fine. But you don't need to. And if all you're doing is tracking your progress, then why would you need to mic your amp?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 14, 2014,
Quote by varundbest
I've heard sm57 is good. I wish to track my playing and since my phone's microphone is more interested in fan noise than my guitar, i need a decent recording microphone. I'll also use it to make youtube videos later on. However imminent need is of tracking the progress only.

Budget is not really specific but around the cost of sm57...

You're just not going to get any interface worth using for the price of a sm57 that'll let you use your mic. You're basically asking the impossible.

Just go DI, it's fine for what you want to do.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Hmm... Okay, thanks guys! So I'd just Di with my rp255. Any software recommendations? I currently know if audacity which can record, have used it with Rocksmith's realtone cable, hope it would work with rp255 too...
Use whatever DAW.
Download the free trial of everything and then decide what you like working with best.

Nothing is plain better than the rest.
Pro tools on the other end sucks software-wise so don't use it unless you can't live working with a different interface and workflow.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by varundbest
Hmm... Okay, thanks guys! So I'd just Di with my rp255. Any software recommendations? I currently know if audacity which can record, have used it with Rocksmith's realtone cable, hope it would work with rp255 too...

Normally I wouldn't go with Audacity, but it'll work fine for what you want. And, iirc, it's free.

Edit:
Or do what Luca said. lol
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Normally I wouldn't go with Audacity, but it'll work fine for what you want. And, iirc, it's free.

Edit:
Or do what Luca said. lol

Thats the only reason i'm going with audacity. RP255 came with cubase 4 LE but the DVD is not working.... -_-
Quote by varundbest
Thats the only reason i'm going with audacity. RP255 came with cubase 4 LE but the DVD is not working.... -_-

Return it?

Iirc, Cubase 4 LE is not great anyway. Return the RP255 (it's a toy, not a recording device), and buy a guitarlink already. $10, man. Don't tell you can't spend $10; you just spent over $100 (I'd guess) on the RP255.
Rp255 is $200 over here... I like it for effects :p and looper, moreover it's cheaper than pedals. I have rocksmith's realtone cable which I guess is like Directlink... Rp255 also have usb connection and it acts as a sound card.
Last edited by varundbest at Oct 16, 2014,
I'm going to try the Guitar to USB interface and see if I can rig it to work on my Tablet. I also have the USB to tab patch cable coming to attach a flashdrive to the Tab anyway. If all else fails, I'll drag my laptop with me.
I'll let ya know.
So in the end, i bought an HTC One M8 as i had to upgrade my phone and saw a couple of recording by it and it's dual membrane microphone really felt awesome! You can check this out -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbpR7EgXYaY

Got it from here -
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8/375097-htc-one-m8-dual-membrane-mic-hdr-mic.html
Last edited by varundbest at Oct 26, 2014,
It won't sound amazing but I just plug the headphone-out from my amp into my computer with a 1/4" to 3.5mm TRS cable. I also have a 1 stereo to 2 stereo adapter, so that I can listen through headphones with zero delay, and still have the other stereo signal go into my computer.

Total cost was less than $10 (not including the amp of course). It wouldn't be good enough for professional recording but like you I am just using it to track my progress.

That phone mic does sound pretty great for a phone though, especially since it's an outside recording.