Anyone have a one-liner answer for what diatonic means in relation to guitar scales?
I, a layman, will give this a shot. I could be absolutely wrong, but I'll try.

A diatonic scale one that consists of seven pitches that have five one step intervals and two half step intervals.
I guess what I really wanted to know today is do diatonic notes mean that theyre part of a scale we're used to? As opposed to a note not "belonging" in a scale would not be diatonic to that relative scale.
Quote by bboyrocker1
I guess what I really wanted to know today is do diatonic notes mean that theyre part of a scale we're used to? As opposed to a note not "belonging" in a scale would not be diatonic to that relative scale.

That's more or less it, diatonic is basically from the scale. Diatonic notes are notes that are all from one scale, diatonic chords are chords that are built using only notes from the scale, and so on. People also talk about diatonic theory sometimes to differentiate it from modal theory.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.