Hi All

So I'm a newbie, playing on my acoustic for the last month and thinking of buying an electric. I want to play the newest r&b/hip hop songs ( not really interested in rock or metal at all).

Should I get a single coil or a humbucker style electric?

Can you recommend a guitar that is easy to play for a beginner?

These are the types of songs I want to play :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vteosQroTNQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BPsLOQKhK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORVz_qeKgvg
R&B, hip hop, funk, and other similar forms have been played on all kinds of guitars with all kinds of pickups, but Strats & others guitars with singlecoils predominate.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
R&B, hip hop, funk, and other similar forms have been played on all kinds of guitars with all kinds of pickups, but Strats & others guitars with singlecoils predominate.

Thought so. As I'm a beginner and dont want to spend $700- $1000 on a strat can you offer some advice on what other cheaper guitars from Schecter, Ibanez, Fender etc I could buy? ( they all seem to use humbuckers)
A MiM* Fender Strat would be the safe option, should be easy to find, and they start around $400. In the same price range, other good options include the G&L Tribute guitars, Godin's Progression or Session guitars, and the surprisingly good Yamaha Pacificas.

Used, you'll have even more options.

Actually, if you look online at eBay, Guitar Center, Reverb.com and other sites, you can find all kinds of deals, se new, some used. And many sites let you use price range as a search criterion.

Also, some brands will offer the occasional discount directly to the public via their websites. Fernandes is having a clearance sale, and Dean Zelinsky Private label is direct sales only in the USA, and here's what they're offering:

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/retrorocket/75-retrorocket-deluxe-dg.html

deanzelinsky.com/collections/tagliare

* Made in Mexico
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 13, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
A MiM* Fender Strat would be the safe option, should be easy to find, and they start around $400. In the same price range, other good options include the G&L Tribute guitars, Godin's Progression or Session guitars, and the surprisingly good Yamaha Pacificas.

Used, you'll have even more options.

Actually, if you look online at eBay, Guitar Center, Reverb.com and other sites, you can find all kinds of deals, se new, some used. And many sites let you use price range as a search criterion.

* Made in Mexico

Thanks for the advice , Im in Sydney so strats are way more expensive then $400 here....

Also, I dont want to buy used, it has to be new. I'll look into the ones you have given me so far..Further suggestions?
OK, your best bets in Sidney won't include the Fernandes I mentioned. That's a limited area offer.

You might have better access there than I do to some of the better regional brands. Look at Swing and Radix. I believe both companies offer Strat style guitars.

But I honestly don't know what brands have a decent presence in the Australian market, sorry.

Quote by tripsteady
Im in Sydney so strats are way more expensive then $400 here....

I'm in Toowoomba. Have a look at the Sterling/SUB line, by Music Man. They aren't expensive, and their predecessors, OLP, were very good. The pickups might not be the best, but you can always change those later. I like the SUB Silo 3s.

And there's always the old standby, Yamaha Pacifica:

http://www.guitarfactory.com.au/guitars/electric/Yamaha

Or look for a bargain in the hock shops. My local Cash Converters had a discount sale a few months ago. I got a cosmetically decent but non-working Peavey Raptor for $70, but they had some reasonable guitars in working order for around $200.
That's an example of what I was hinting at in my first post- any guitar can be used for any style, if you know what you're doing. The guitar in that video is a LP style guitar with either humbuckers or humbucker-sized P90s.

For comparison, here is a demo of a guy playing some jazz impov on a LP-style guitar with a pair of HB-sized P90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBPPYdHdCI8&sns=em

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 15, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
That's an example of what I was hinting at in my first post- any guitar can be used for any style, if you know what you're doing. The guitar in that video is a LP style guitar with either humbuckers or humbucker-sized P90s.

For comparison, here is a demo of a guy playing some jazz impov on a LP-style guitar with a pair of HB-sized P90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBPPYdHdCI8&sns=em

wow, sounds so clean for a guitar with humbuckers. I know anyone could play this if they know what they are doing, but since I am an absolute beginner and am looking to invest in an instrument that is geared towards the kind of music I want to play..Id like one that would have that sound even played by someone who doesn't know how to play really well.

Is this sound unique to p90's?
Humbucker-sized P90s, not humbuckers. P90s are oversized singlecoils...kinda like what you'd find in a Strat or Tele after steroids.

While it may be easier to get that sound with some kind of singlecoil. It can be achieved with HBs as well. The biggest factor in that kind of tone is going to be the quality of the amp used. People playing that style at looking for the cleanest sounds they can get.

Usual suspects are tube amps from companies like Carvin, Fender, Vox, and Peavey. There are other amps higher up the $$$$ scale that are better, but...

Most P90s I've seen have the screws centered in the pickup. The ones in the video aren't so I think it is just a humbucker.
Oh, in HIS video! Yeah- that is most likely a humbucker.

Yes, there are HBs that are designed to be cleaner and clearer than most, which is probably what those are an example of.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 15, 2014,