http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/13/men-face-future-loneliness-problems?CMP=fb_gu

Quote by John, 73
“The house was always full of kids. Women keep the family together and people rally around them. When women die, people drift away from the man left behind. Loneliness is a killer. You can’t cure loneliness. It’s something I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy”

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
idk can't they meet up and talk about snooker and pussy?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal

Whenever I go past a food place here in the morning or the middle of the night it's always full of old men with a couple beers watching soccer and stuff. It's good that they have each other but it's also kinda bad that they feel like they can't be at home if the rest of the family are around, which is what a couple of them told me when I was volunteering at a nursing home. Like they just feel sorta useless to society. My grandpa was like that and he kept working until the day he died. Even when he was sick he'd get his clients to come over to his house and he'd sneak out to the bank when no one else around and he was ordered to stay in bed rest.
cat
My grandmother is still going at 85. Her husband died 15 years ago from throat cancer. She likes to come to our house and do whatever chores she can because she enjoys keeping herself busy. I wish I could visit her more, but it's difficult to hold a conversation with her. She has dementia and often forgets who I am, and she sometimes thinks I'm trying to kidnap her in her own house. It must be very lonely.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Banjocal

Pubs are too loud now apparently. Which I agree with. A pub should be just ambient and not thumping club music.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
There should be more outreach groups for old people, like ones that visit their home to have tea/a chat etc.

Also EndTheRapture51, how come your profile says "Feminism ruined The Pit"?.. Just out of interest.
Because Feminism ruined The Pit. #FreeNeo #FreeTrowzaa #FreePhillipPeppers

Quote by EndTheRapture51

What does #FreeNeo #FreeTrowzaa #FreePhillipPeppers mean?
It means free them from the FOTB after their unjust bannings. Anyway. Back to topic. Try and speak to a lonely old man.

Okay thanks for the info, I've just seen a few other users with that in their sig.

But yeah, I fully agree, it's probably my biggest fear about ageing, like friends dying, family moving away. More needs to be done.
Yikes. I'm pretty lonely lonely now at 22.

Can't wait till I'm 50

EDIT: Assuming of course I don't develop a proactive attitude on this within the next 28 years

EDIT 2: That reminds me, last Saturday was my grandparent's 60th anniversary. We went to a nice restaurant, bought everyone in the family a nice meal, drank wine and talked, but I just couldn't help looking over to my grandparents and noticing that they just looked lost most of the time. Everybody else was talking to each other except for the people we were throwing the party for.

I tried to talk to them, but they are certainly slowing down mentally;it was difficult to carry on conversation with them
Last edited by E7#9 at Oct 13, 2014,
Quote by E7#9
That reminds me, last Saturday was my grandparent's 60th anniversary. We went to a nice restaurant, bought everyone in the family a nice meal, drank wine and talked, but I just couldn't help looking over to my grandparents and noticing that they just looked lost most of the time. Everybody else was talking to each other except for the people we were throwing the party for.

I tried to talk to them, but they are certainly slowing down mentally;it was difficult to carry on conversation with them

I've noticed the same with my two grandpa's (both passed away several years ago). It's strange though, because with only one of them did it really make an impact on me.

With my grandpa from my father's side (he was first to go), I don't think I've ever really seen him as very active or whatever - kind of the same for my grandma/his wife, who passed away a few weeks ago. Therefore their mental absence didn't really impact me as much, because for me that was just how I knew them.

My other grandpa though, I can remember as a really different guy. I used to spend a lot of time with him doing all kinds of stuff. And during the last few years he was alive, he just kind of become more absent. Really sad.

Now my other grandma, she's still going strong at 82. It's really amazing to see her constantly joking around with everyone and she can still get around on her own very well, although she never was a really outgoing person, so she does spend most of her time at home or with family.
^

Yeah I get that. We were celebrating my father's parents' anniversary. They live a couple of hours away so I only see them a few times a year at most. Also, that side of my family is quite french, and my french... sucks. We can both speak English, but the language subtleties are lost/misunderstood which makes communication even more difficult.

In contrast to my grandparents on my mother's side; they live 10 minutes away, are English speaking, and are still quite sharp. My grandfather on my mom's side is I think around 85, but he still fixes shit around his house and is quite on the ball, mentally speaking.
Quote by E7#9

EDIT 2: That reminds me, last Saturday was my grandparent's 60th anniversary. We went to a nice restaurant, bought everyone in the family a nice meal, drank wine and talked, but I just couldn't help looking over to my grandparents and noticing that they just looked lost most of the time. Everybody else was talking to each other except for the people we were throwing the party for.

I'm sure they appreciated just being around everyone just carrying on though. A lot of old people are like that when they start to lose it. They know they can't keep up, but they still would rather be around their family and be unable to follow along than just sit around by themselves in a haze.
Oh, **** off, grandad.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
feminism ruined old age
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Loneliness to me is peace and quiet, time to do what you like. I'd take that over a house full of miserable brats and bitches takin my cash and walking any day.
bet they wish Obama got away with those death camps now.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by EndTheRapture51

the drought ruined the pit

#EndTheDrought51
banned