I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Standard (2013 I think) and the Line 6 Spider IV 15 for the amp. I have been practicing A LOT sense I began to play over a year ago, and now the Line 6 is starting to no longer suit my needs. I've been trying to play songs on it, such as the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine, and simply put, it sounds awful, there's no tone or good sound to it whatsoever. I think it's time for an upgrade. My goal is to keep it within the $700 range, and something that can be used live in a band too. I've had my eye on the Marshall DSL40C, so any opinions on that? Also, I would like your opinion on the Line 6 Spider IV 15 too, because in my opinion, it is a good starter/ practice amp, but gets old quick. Thanks for the help.
Same opinion on the spider.
Apart from the fact that I don't really consider it a good starter/practice amp either.
You can get better stuff for the money nowadays.

The DSL40C can be nice, yeah.
Though I'd say go for a used DSL401 instead.
Smoother sound.

Then again, we don't know what you'd be playing, nor what the prices are where you live.

So, where do you live, are you willing to buy used stuff, and what do you wanna sound like?
Give us songs/bands as examples for added effect.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Same opinion on the spider.
Apart from the fact that I don't really consider it a good starter/practice amp either.
You can get better stuff for the money nowadays.

The DSL40C can be nice, yeah.
Though I'd say go for a used DSL401 instead.
Smoother sound.

Then again, we don't know what you'd be playing, nor what the prices are where you live.

So, where do you live, are you willing to buy used stuff, and what do you wanna sound like?
Give us songs/bands as examples for added effect.

In Connecticut (USA), I would be playing Hard Rock, and I would like a sound similar to Guns N' Roses, AC/DC that type of stuff, and songs would be Sweet Child O' Mine, November Rain, Thunderstruck, some Led Zeppelin, and maybe some Aerosmith here and there, hopefully you get the idea.
Funny enough I too have an Epi LP/Spider IV 15.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1657528

I made a very similar thread. Some good suggestions in there. Give it a look!

As for what I think about the spider..I used to like it when I first got it as a beginner. As soon as I started palm muting I saw how bad it really was. I played on some more amps and shit and went back home and was just disappointed I bought that. Supposedly there are much better sounding amps for around the same price so I wish I looked around more.
Last edited by ImDesigner at Oct 13, 2014,
Yeah, you'll reach the point where the Spider is no longer good enough tone wise as a main amp. It's weakest point in my opinion is it's Marshall emulation. It does not do G N R or ACDC well at all. It still serves a purpose for practicing quietly though.

Try a DSL. Get the higher wattage ones if you're going to practice with a drummer. You could score a 50W DSL 2000 for like $500-600 and get a used 2x12 cabinet if you stretch your budget like $100. That's a professional live rig IMO, but it may not be the best for playing at home more than jamming with friends.

The DSL40C comes with a mediocre speaker. I would recommend changing it out with something like a Celestion Greenback.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Last edited by evmac at Oct 13, 2014,
Quote by evmac
Yeah, you'll reach the point where the Spider is no longer good enough tone wise as a main amp. It's weakest point in my opinion is it's Marshall emulation. It does not do G N R or ACDC well at all. It still serves a purpose for practicing quietly though.

Try a DSL. Get the higher wattage ones if you're going to practice with a drummer. You could score a 50W DSL 2000 for like $500-600 and get a used 2x12 cabinet if you stretch your budget like $100. That's a professional live rig IMO, but it may not be the best for playing at home more than jamming with friends.

The DSL40C comes with a mediocre speaker. I would recommend changing it out with something like a Celestion Greenback.

All good advice, except the last part, G12M25 are 25 watts, a G12m65 Creamback or a G12h75 creamback would be a good choice.

Actually WGS makes the Reaper HP which is a 50 watt G12h30 type speaker and they also have a 50 watt G12m25 type speaker for Both are <$80 new. Eminence also has a few speakers that fit that bill and are $75ish
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^Yup. For some reason I was still thinking 2x12. My bad
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Would you be open to a head and cab setup or just combos?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Would you be open to a head and cab setup or just combos?

Just the combo amps.