Ok, so bought the 6505+ combo a couple months back. Sounds great, I can get the right tones I want, I just feel like it is extremely noisey. Having the pre-amp at 5 and the post at 2.5 its extremely noisey and I get the huge feedback squel. I am already using a ns-2 as a noise suppresor, any other tips to cut down on that?
Sounds like it's working great!

Seriously though, put a noise gate in the loop (not sure how you have yours set up), lower the pre-gain a bit, make sure your guitar/cords/pedalboard etc. is not the problem, and that should take care of most of it. Those are noisy amps.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at Oct 13, 2014,
The NS-2 run through the loop, especially in the x-pattern should eliminate ALL of the noise you're hearing. X-pattern means that you are gating the input signal (noise from your pickups and any pedals you run up front such as boosts) and it also gates the preamp. The preamp is where most of the noise comes from.

As for feedback, that's more of a muting issue -- you can't have that much gain and volume and expect to not have feedback unless you're muting properly between notes/chords with both hands.

Certain tubes can help as well -- I've found that a 5751 in V1 and a 12AT7 or another 5751 in the phase inverter slot also reduces preamp noise.

I don't know if you run a boost pedal, but if you do, "5" on the preamp gain is a bit much -- especially with the post gain (volume) at 2.5. I run mine at 3.5 and it's easily in death metal territory. Running the gain higher (with a tubescreamer boost) just muddies up the tone and makes feedback harder to control, not to mention preamp noise.

Honestly, I don't use my NS-2 much unless I'm recording. Otherwise, with the adjustments I've made, the noise is not that bad.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
How big is the room you are playing in ? The smaller the room or the closer your guitar to the speaker the worst the feedback. 2.5 volume is instant squeal if your NS-2 isn't set-up right.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Sounds like it's working normally.

The other guys have nailed it already.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Here's a guideline:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-equipment/222875-boss-ns-2-x-connection-questions.html

I set mine with the knobs pointed at each other and it's about perfect. There's no noise, but it still allows controlled feedback if you want it. I made the mistake at a gig one time where I had the NS-2 set for maximum gating and some of my higher notes on a solo got muted-out. Needless to say, it threw my performance for a loop!

You shouldn't have any noise problems with the x-connection.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Oct 14, 2014,
Also dont ignore the crunch channel (with tubescreamer as boost). Its less extreme than the red channel. Might help with the noise and you might even like the sound better.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Those are one of the few combos where you can get away with using JJ ECC803 tubes because the tubes aren't actuallly inside the spekaer box. The ECC803 is a low noise variant of the 12AX7. Slightly less gain (like <10%) but not enough to hurt your gain sound but enough to do some good for cleans.
V1a is a common gain stage but V1b does channel 1 and V2 is the second gain stage for the lead channel. So you'd want to put the ECC803 in V1 but you may also want to throw one in V2. They should cut the noise floor by a few dB.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
just cover a few other potential issues...

fluorescent lighting?
try it in a different room.
you could have a microphonic tube Google "pencil test
get a power coniditioner/surge protector.

_________

but everybody has already said whats most likely.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/