Hello. Trying to decide between i3 and i5. i3 supposed to be better generally because of "hyperthreading." However, some people were saying that other specs in i5 could make up the difference. Here are the specs for an i3 and i5 that come in $500 Dell Inspirons. Which is better for DAW? Thanks.

i5

i3
The i3 is a dual core processor with hyperthreading. This means (in very layman's terms) that it has two physical cores that can act as four, but not to the full efficiency of a quad core. Although the i3 has a higher clock rate @3.5Ghz, the i5 has four physical cores @3.2 Ghz. These physical cores work much better than hyperthreading some "virtual" cores.

So in sum, i5 is your best bet.
Quote by Skullivan
The i3 is a dual core processor with hyperthreading. This means (in very layman's terms) that it has two physical cores that can act as four, but not to the full efficiency of a quad core. Although the i3 has a higher clock rate @3.5Ghz, the i5 has four physical cores @3.2 Ghz. These physical cores work much better than hyperthreading some "virtual" cores.

So in sum, i5 is your best bet.

Wow. That's interesting. Another poster on here in a former thread said that the i3 (in general) would be better for DAW (Studio One 2) because DAW's "love hyperthreading."

Anyone else care to opine on the subject?

Thanks.
While they may love hyperthreading, I don't think the power offered by the i3 in any environment would outclass the i5.

We also have a computer thread where most of our nerds regularly visit. If it's not on the Pit front page then try searching for it. Can't link right now since I'm on mobile.
i5.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
When they talk about 'loving hyperthreading' what that actually means is that they are optimised to run on multiple cores. Anything that runs well on an i3 will run better on an i5 and even better on an i7 (hyperthreaded quad or hexacore).
There's literally no instance where an i3 is better than an i5, ever.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
There's literally no instance where an i3 is better than an i5, ever.

Got it.

Next question.

I'm getting Dell XPS or Dell Inspiron. Which is better?

i5 with 12GB memory OR
i7 with 8 GB memory

I will mainly be using the computer for recording w/ Studio One. No gaming, movie editing, or anything of the sort. Thanks.
Well, RAM is probably the easiest thing to upgrade ever… you literally just pop the stick(s) out, and replace with higher-memory compatible stick(s). No plugging and unplugging of seas of cables, no unscrewing stuff from the inside of the chassis.

So unless you're low on cash for the upgrade, I wouldn't worry about bundled memory because if you go for the i7 and decide you need more than 8GB or RAM after a bit of playing around (you won't) there's nothing stopping you just upgrading to more RAM, as long as the motherboard supports more RAM than that.

For what it's worth, I have an i7 in my Mac, and 16GB RAM. Never pushed it to its limits yet, doing anything.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
The issue is that I know little about computers. I don't even know how to open the tower. Maybe I don't have the right tools.

I take this to be a recommendation that i7 and 8GB will run faster/better than i5 and 12GB. Will go this route unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks.
Well, it's not that i7 with 8GB will be faster, more that the i7 is better than the i5, and the difference in RAM isn't a problem because if you do find you need more RAM in the future, it's a much easier upgrade.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.