Right now I have a Squire Fender Affinty Strat that plays good and I was wondering would upgrading the picks help improve the sound. If so which pick ups are considered pretty good for a high gain metal/shred sound. Of the pick ups I was looking at the Signature Yngwie Seymore Duncans. Oh and my picks are single coils in the neck and middle and humbucker in the bridge. Thanks
What amp do you have?
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Get a better amp. It will improve your tone leaps and bounds more than any new pickup set. What bands guitar tones do you like specifically?
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Yea I mean I have another strat with Humbuckers that sounds pretty good. But as far as bands, some tones I like are Yngwies, Dimebag Darrell, and Jeff Loomis. I know I wont get all of there tones exactly. Just looking for pointers on pick ups and if they are really worth upgrading on this guitar.
In all honesty it's worth it just to save your money and get a good amp first. Getting Yngwie's pickups won't make you sound like him (as much as Seymour Duncan wants you to believe that).

I know Yngwie runs a signature Marshall 800, Dime had his Randalls (though his tone is very treble-y and grating) and Loomis uses a Kemper profiling amp with a 5150 model mainly. So I'd say look for an amp with those sorts of tones. Good starter may be a 6505 112 combo, a Jet City combo of some sort or a Laney combo. Check out videos of those amp to see what sort of tone and voicing you like.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Also consider ways of improving your acoustic tone before making modifications that affect your electric tone. These may not be to your tastes, but I vastly prefer the sound of my 20th Anniversary Squier after doing the following:

-Ensure your nut slots are properly filed if you've changed to a heavier gauge of strings
-Tighten all of your hardware, particularly your tuning pegs and pickguard screws
-Remove the plastic cover from your tremolo cavity
-Remove the springs from your trem block and wedge in a small piece of wood that sits flush between the trem block and bottom of the cavity
-Use a scotch pad to remove the paint inside the trem cavity, and under your pickguard

Those will mostly just help improve your sustain, but I've found that my acoustic tone is slighty brighter after having done all of that, as well as having very nice sustain. Those mods aren't going to make a night and day difference, but I was quite thrilled with the results after some initial skepticism.
Definitely opt for a new amp over new pickups.

A bad sounding guitar played through a high end tube amp will always sound MUCH better than a $5k custom shop through a line 6 spider.

Go for a used tube combo if you just play in the bedroom. The 6505 1X12 combo would probably be a good choice.

Guitar center's used section has a few listed for $400 US. Theyre policy on used gear lets you return the item for a refund even if theres nothing wrong with it as well if im not mistaken so you could try it for a month and return it if its not for you.
yngwie actually uses really low output pickups. i'd probably give those a miss.

i've been hearing good things about entwistle pickups (though i haven't tried them). might be worth a try, since they're very cheap. some guitars come stock with them too, so if you're lucky you might be able to try them first- tanglewoods (sold in the UK, at least, maybe elsewhere) come stock with them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rickyj
Definitely opt for a new amp over new pickups.

A bad sounding guitar played through a high end tube amp will always sound MUCH better than a $5k custom shop through a line 6 spider.

Go for a used tube combo if you just play in the bedroom. The 6505 1X12 combo would probably be a good choice.

Guitar center's used section has a few listed for $400 US. Theyre policy on used gear lets you return the item for a refund even if theres nothing wrong with it as well if im not mistaken so you could try it for a month and return it if its not for you.

Tubes don't make or break an amp. Dime used Randal amps AKA solid state. The Roland jazz chorus is a favorite of James Hetfield. Not to mention about a zillion Jazz players...
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier