Hi,

I wouldn't be surprised if this question has been asked before, but I couldn't locate a thread with it.

How do I record a full JAM session. At the moment we use our Video Camera to record the session, but I understand that it's not the right way as the sound quality isnt the best and its at best suitable for youtube uploads only but not for a demo.
Another way I cam to know is the jamming rooms who provide recording your session, but since we jam in our Garage (like literally), we were contemplating that there must be some software or a device that can be installed and we can hook our instruments to it to record.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thank You.
Shounak.
First off, your garage will likely have bad acoustics so if you want to record everything with a relatively cheap and relatively nice recorder (the zoom H2/3/4) you'll have to solve that.

Then, depending on the budget you may be able to mic every instrument separately, and there acoustics will matter way less.

So, what's your budget?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
We'd also need some kind of idea of what your expectations are for quality. Is this a demo to send to record companies (ie. studio quality demo), for clubs and such to get gigs (medium quality demo, pending a lot of variables), or just for your friends to hear what you sound like (anything goes)?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I would suggest to put 2-3 mics in a room (or garage) and record jam session "as is". This will give listener an idea of overall band sound. If you'll try to mic each instrument separately without knowledge on how to do it properly you'll may get much more worse record comparing to just mic'ing room.

Also, try to hire rehearsal room if possible and record there.
To make the best of it - pay professionals to record your session.
But since it can get expensive, consider learning a little bit of sound and the art of recording.. While there's a lot to learn you'll be at least pulling out decent material in a few rehearsals !
Muti track digital recorders are so cheap now that I would suggest you buy one. As an example you can pick up a brand new six track Tascam DP 006 for $99.00 or an new eight track Tascam DP 008 for $149.00. They are easy to use and you can record as often as you like and for as long as you want. Four hours in even the cheapest studio will cost more than that and what you get is what you get on that day. With a small multi track you don't have to settle for a one shot day in the studio. You can set up microphones and record every practice and pick any good takes. In the 70's I paid $1,200.00 for a four track Tascam reel-to-reel and another $600 for a 12 channel mixer. It was very good quality for the time but the Tascam DP-006 digital six track does a vastly better job with more tracks and for $99.00!! (and you don't need computers, interfaces or anything else to get a good basic recording)
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Oct 20, 2014,