Black Sabbath = 1969 - 1979, after 1979 BS was "Iommi & friends going downhill" Yes, I'm that guy hehe
Painkiller
Painkiller
Painkiller
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
The first four.

You can apply this to almost any metal band though. Just say, '"the first" x,' and you'll definitely get respect. A computer tech once asked me what the best Death album was after saying, "The Sound of Perseverance or Symbolic?," to which I replied, "Scream Bloody Gore."

He then raised his right fist with both his index and pinky finger elongated outwards toward me, and whispered the word, "metal," in my direction. I shivered and he put his jacket around me. We watched The Notebook 8 times that day.
Quote by severed-metal
The first four.

You can apply this to almost any metal band though. Just say, '"the first" x,' and you'll definitely get respect. A computer tech once asked me what the best Death album was after saying, "The Sound of Perseverance or Symbolic?," to which I replied, "Scream Bloody Gore."

He then raised his right fist with both his index and pinky finger elongated outwards toward me, and whispered the word, "metal," in my direction. I shivered and he put his jacket around me. We watched The Notebook 8 times that day.

I had a girl in a record store ask me what punk album I think is better as I browsed vinyls nearby - Greenday's Dookie or Sum 41 ' s All Killer No Filler. I said "Hear Nothing Say Nothing Do Nothing"

Turns out the girl was actually John Cusack and every Halloween he stands outside my bedroom window blasting The Smiths from a boombox
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
I'm a noob and I've only listened to the first few, so I would have to say:

1. Black Sabbath
2. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
3. Paranoid

But goddamn is that debut good. I've been meaning to check out the ones you listed Slate, especially Tyr.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
TYR doesn't really sound much like Sabbath (or at least sabbath as you associate) , but this is an absolute corker of a song from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PymqOuP6fbA

However the title track from Heaven and Hell should be mandatory listening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUjUIP2ugG4

And whilst I'm at it, one of the first songs I ever got into. God this video clip takes me back....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOXvhET0Y98
Last edited by AnnihiSlateR at Oct 14, 2014,
Masters of reality,
dehumaniser,
the devil you know.
Honorary mentions go to volume iv, mob rules and sabbath bloody sabbath.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
**** off c u n t s!

Sabotage.

Seriously under ****ing rated record. But goddamn, the heaviest tunes ever penned. Hole In the Sky, Megalomania, The Trill of It All, The Writ. Plus the album cover features Ozzy in a woman's dress and Bill ass showing through red tights. BECAUSE THAT'S HOW HIGH THEY WERE.

Sabotage. Pretty much the prototype for the future of heavy metal in all it's forms.

But really, every one of the first 10 Sabbath albums have great tunes- some better than others- but every album has a golden song, which is why so many people will argue all day on what the "best" album is. It's easy to say the first 4 or whatever, but the last 2 Ozz albums & the first 2 Dio albums are well worth the time to listen
The first three are some of the greatest albums ever in my opinion. I would start with Paranoid.
Paranoid, Master of Reality, Vol 4.
But if we're talking more than 3, I'd say the first 6 albums are my fave Sabbath efforts. And the last two Ozzy era albums? Technical Ecstasy starts and finishes strong, but the songs in-between are pretty much filler, but ok to listen to; Never Say Die is a little more interesting, more solid - my picks from that album would be Shock Wave and Johnny Blade.
Last edited by J-E-M at Oct 20, 2014,
Now that I've been around the Sabbath block, I'd say my faves are
1.Paranoid
2.Black Sabbath
3.Mob rules
Can't believe some of you **** up so much as to not mention MASTER OF REALITY. The most obvious choice for Sabbath, has to be their most apocalyptic doom statement. This record has the most suitable production for the original Sabbath, the best pace, and some of the most crushing riffs in the metal canon.