Page 1 of 2
I want to make a list of all good ss amps. I'ma gonna start with a few, then maybe expand the list.

Ampeg VH140-c
Randall RG100ES(and it's reissue:RG1503)
Roland Jazz Chorus
Randall Warhead
Randall Century
Peavey Bandit series(great for starting out)
Pritchard anything
Crate GX130c or GT3500H
Marshall Lead 100 Mosfet
Peavey Classic Chorus
Yamaha G-100
Tech 21 amps(Not sure which model)
Chuck's Marshall Valvestate
Randall V2
Fractal Axe Fx
RockMan amps

That's all I know, give me some suggestions and I'll add them on
EDIT: I should also add, let's talk about those"gig worthy" amps, ok?
EDIT:It's amazing how fast the comments flew in
Last edited by It's_Loveless at Oct 14, 2014,
Quote by It's_Loveless
I want to make a list of all good ss amps. I'ma gonna start with a few, then maybe expand the list.

Ampeg VH140-c
Randall RG100ES(and it's reissue:RG1503)
Roland Jazz Chorus

That's all I know, give me some suggestions and I'll add them on

Not gonna go down well with some of us, but I was going to say all of these anyway,

Randall Warhead/Century?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Not gonna go down well with some of us, but I was going to say all of these anyway,

Randall Warhead/Century?

Added those, anyway can you tell me about the Randall RH? Is it a continuation of the Century(both has shit tons of gain, so it kinda makes sense)
Also, what about that "not gonna go down well with some of us"?
Quote by It's_Loveless
Added those, anyway can you tell me about the Randall RH? Is it a continuation of the Century(both has shit tons of gain, so it kinda makes sense)
Also, what about that "not gonna go down well with some of us"?

Wait till Cath comes in and you'll see what I mean

Honestly, I don't know much about Randal kit. I thought the Century was a continuation of the RG series (I think that's the name) that I keep seeing on Ebay for like £200 everytime
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Wait till Cath comes in and you'll see what I mean

Honestly, I don't know much about Randal kit. I thought the Century was a continuation of the RG series (I think that's the name) that I keep seeing on Ebay for like £200 everytime

I think I'll raise a shitstorm, but oh well, it will be worth it.
Peavey Bandit 112
Peavey Special 212
Vox Pathfinder 15/R
Hughes & Kettner Attax
Pritchard anything
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
Peavey Bandit 112
Peavey Special 212
Vox Pathfinder 15/R
Hughes & Kettner Attax
Pritchard anything

Pritchard? Never heard of them, are they any good?
Last edited by It's_Loveless at Oct 14, 2014,
Quote by It's_Loveless
Pritchard? Never heard of them, are they any good?

Dude, they're superior to tube amps which is why they ain't cheap
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
Dude, they're superior to tube amps which is why they ain't cheap

Guess I'll add that then...
Ampeg VH140c or SS140c
Crate GX130c or GT3500H
Marshall Lead 100 Mosfet
Roland Jazz Chorus
Peavey Classic Chorus
Yamaha G-100
Lab Series L5
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Troll shield raised.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Not you.
Read the thread, I'm being blatantly baited. It's about as subtle as a Taipan up the arse.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by It's_Loveless
I want to make a list of all good ss amps.
What for?

Also the bandit and the attax aren't much good amps if ya ask me.

Also yeah, if the yamy G100 is good enough for Mike Stern, it's good enough for me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
What for?

Also the bandit and the attax aren't much good amps if ya ask me.

Also yeah, if the yamy G100 is good enough for Mike Stern, it's good enough for me.

just for shits and giggles, to be honest
Quote by Cathbard
Not you.
Read the thread, I'm being blatantly baited. It's about as subtle as a Taipan up the arse.

LOL
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Award Session Sessionette 75
HH electronic IC100, IC100S, VS-Musician etc
Orange CR120
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
Award Session Sessionette 75
HH electronic IC100, IC100S, VS-Musician etc
Orange CR120

I've heard that the Orange isn't really that good.
You don't have to look very far to read bad things about just about every amp mentioned in this thread
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Peavey has made a number of steel guitar amps (Nashville, Vegas, etc) that have excellent clean tone and are well praised by jazz guitarists. The Nashville series go real cheap used (>$400).

Quote by Blompcube
You don't have to look very far to read bad things about just about every amp mentioned in this thread

You don't have to look very far to read bad things about just about anything ever.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Blompcube

You can read bad stuff about anything.

Also I concur about the orange not being that good.
But my opinion doesn't count that much 'cause I don't like the tube rockerverb either.

Now, would you find me some strongly negative review about the JC120 and the G100?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
You can read bad stuff about anything.

Also I concur about the orange not being that good.
But my opinion doesn't count that much 'cause I don't like the tube rockerverb either.

Now, would you find me some strongly negative review about the JC120 and the G100?

Impossible. I have a question, did Yamaha making the G-100 basically do a clone of a Roland JC?
Quote by Spambot_2

The JC120 only gets good reviews because it used to be a decent amp 30 years ago when people did too much coke and thought that over-saturated stereo chorus was a good idea.
In the 1980s it passed for a good SS amp. Today, it's overweight, overrated, sterile sounding overpriced nonsense riding out its already exaggerated reputation. You can walk into any GC on earth and get two SS amps that will give you a nice stereo clean sound that beats a JC120 (at a lower price), but nobody wants to use two cheap SS amps. They want one expensive one that has name recognition. Hence the JC120. It's for SS hipsters and people who haven't bothered to try any halfway decent SS amp that's come out in the last decade.

How's that?
Quote by Roc8995
How's that?

As much as a tube snob as I am, the JC-120 is still a great amp for a solid state amp...
Can do respectable, loud cleans and make things like boss hm-2's sound nice due to a decent low end. But most tube amps at half the price of a JC-120 can do better cleans, plus obviously better dirt...
Try running your cranked fuzz face into a jc-120. You will smell an ugly, burnt metal / battery smell and your ears will not forgive you. I think the distortion channel on a JC-120 was designed to emulate an SS amp being overdriven.. In which case they nailed it
Quote by Spambot_2

Roc already beat me to it with the JC120, Given it's relative obscurity I would expect to have a harder time finding negative comments about the G100, but:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13618731&postcount=2

right here on UG

I think just about every solid state amp ever is an acquired taste, though - you're going to find people who love it and you're going to find people who hate it. The CR120 is somewhat foolishly being marketed as a 'poor mans rockerverb', meaning everyone directly compares it to the rockerverb.

Quote by Blompcube
Roc already beat me to it with the JC120, Given it's relative obscurity I would expect to have a harder time finding negative comments about the G100, but:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13618731&postcount=2

right here on UG

I think just about every solid state amp ever is an acquired taste, though - you're going to find people who love it and you're going to find people who hate it. The CR120 is somewhat foolishly being marketed as a 'poor mans rockerverb', meaning everyone directly compares it to the rockerverb.

I'd gladly buy one of these since I can't afford a Rockerverb
Quote by It's_Loveless
I have a question, did Yamaha making the G-100 basically do a clone of a Roland JC?
Not even.
They're the same "style" of amps though, designed to achieve that kinda sound.

It'd be like comparing a recto to a JSX.
Not copies, but the sound's similar under many aspects.
Quote by Roc8995
How's that?

Quote by Blompcube
right here on UG
Alright, alright, point taken
Quote by 7thString
I think the distortion channel on a JC-120 was designed to emulate an SS amp being overdriven..
Man, the distortion channel on the JC120 IS solid state components being overdriven.
Quote by Blompcube
The CR120 is somewhat foolishly being marketed as a 'poor mans rockerverb', meaning everyone directly compares it to the rockerverb.
May it be the case that's because orange markets it as a rockerverb with transistors instead of tubes?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Not even.
They're the same "style" of amps though, designed to achieve that kinda sound.

It'd be like comparing a recto to a JSX.
Not copies, but the sound's similar under many aspects.

Alright, alright, point taken
Man, the distortion channel on the JC120 IS solid state components being overdriven.
May it be the case that's because orange markets it as a rockerverb with transistors instead of tubes?

What would you say has better cleans, that Yamaha or the JC?
EDIT:This is the fastest growing thread I have ever seen here on UG
Quote by Spambot_2

Well yes, that's exactly what I meant when I said it is marketed as a 'poor mans rockerverb'

I mean, even if they did base the CR120 circuit off the Rockerverb, it's not a Rockerverb, and it's not really that helpful to it's reputation to compare them like that - the CR120 is an entry level solid state amp, the Rockerverb is a pro level tube amp.

the CR120 is the only SS amp on the market nowadays that I'd consider buying - Unless there are some inherent build quality/reliability issues that I'm not aware of.

Quote by It's_Loveless
What would you say has better cleans, that Yamaha or the JC?
I don't have the slightest clue, I heaven't tried any in person.

I'd go for the yamy just judging from records I've heard.

Thing is, a biiig part of the JC is the stereo chorus, and apart from that it doesn't seem to be a hell of an amp - as mentioned, not any better than whatever good tube amp for the same price.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Allow me to pile on saying the Orange Crush sucks, if we're not listing amps that are "comparatively good" or "good in a few circumstances."
Forgot about the old Rockman amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by chrismendiola
Allow me to pile on saying the Orange Crush sucks, if we're not listing amps that are "comparatively good" or "good in a few circumstances."

This is the problem with making lists like this - unless you can objectively define what makes an amp "good" or not, there are always going to be disagreements.

What objective requirements must an amp meet in order to be added to the list?

Someone has to see this thread, and think a certain amp is "good." An objective requirement of a subjective thought.

It's a silly list. We don't have a list of "good tube amps" because nobody is emotionally invested in proving that there are good tube amps out there.
Page 1 of 2