I own a PRS SE EG and a Fender American Special Stratocaster right now. I've been playing a lot lately and tried to get the max out of both guitars. I get way better sounds with my PRS than with my FASS. I'm not particularly happy with the clean sounds I get out of the FASS, overdriven it's fine. I prefer my PRS over my FASS, both clean and overdriven. It sounds like fat strat and it kills the Fender in it's own territory. I exactly know how my PRS will respond and that gives me great control.

I noticed that I sometimes want more output and that made think. I consider trading in my Fender American Special Stratocaster and get a humbucker equipped guitar instead. I bought it new less than a year ago and it's in good shape. I prefer a 1-on-1 trade in a music store so I have to aim at guitars a little cheaper than the strat.

I want to go after a fat tone with that sustains, like Gary Moore for example (or Santana).

Other useful information:
- I'm a big Blues (and rock) kind of guy. I also like some latin like Santana.
- I play over a Blackstar HT5R combo
- My favourite guitar players contains SRV, Gary Moore, Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Albert King, Wouter Planteijdt, Carlos Santana, Peter Green and many others.

Guitar that I took a look at:
- PRS SE Bernie Marsden
- PRS SE 245
- PRS SE Santana
- Hagstrom Viking
- Fender Blacktop Stratocaster HH

I have to keep availability in Europe (Holland) in mind.

Thoughts and suggestions so far?
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Oct 14, 2014,
If you like the strat buy a single coil sized HB and throw that in there. From what others have said they don't sound exactly like a HB but they get the job done. FWIW, I like my strat for being a strat and if I want to get a nice thick sound out of it I adjust my EQ to do that. I don't expect it to sound like a humbucker but I am not dissatisfied.
I'm trying to avoid you walking in and losing out on the deal. Trading down just to get a HB seems like it can be avoided.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Thanks for the response. The thing is, the PRS SE EG is a SSS guitar and really stands out.
Quote by GuitarL91

I want to go after a fat tone with that sustains, like Gary Moore for example (or Santana).

Other useful information:
- I'm a big Blues (and rock) kind of guy. I also like some latin like Santana.
- I play over a Blackstar HT5R combo
- My favourite guitar players contains SRV, Gary Moore, Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Albert King, Wouter Planteijdt, Carlos Santana, Peter Green and many others.

Guitar that I took a look at:
- PRS SE Bernie Marsden
- PRS SE 245
- PRS SE Santana
- Hagstrom Viking

Thoughts and suggestions so far?

Generally, you sound like your more geared towards a humbucker equipped guitar, but keep in mind SRV and Hendrix and Gilmour got huge tones with single coils. If you want a fat tone with single coils you simply need the right amp - you're amp may simply not be well suited for single coils.
Hey!

To me, honestly, it sounds as if new pickups are the best solution. If you like the feel, but just want more push out of your sound, new pups is a quick solution. Unless, of course, you get new guitar fever, which is a dangerous ailment.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
The PRS SE EG is an awesome single coil guitar, I'm really in love with that guitar. It suits all the work I need a strat for. But sometimes I like to have more output. A humbucker equipped guitar allows me also to cover more sounds. I used to be a Fender/single coil guy and I'm really happy with my PRS. But I also dig the sound of for example Gary Moore.

It seems like a good opportunity to weigh my options and at least consider a change to humbuckers. Well, it's lots of fun #firstworldproblems
Besides what has been suggested above...

In the singlecut singlecoil guitars, I'm in love with the Reverend Rick Vito with its P90 in the neck and Supro in the bridge. (The second vid is Russian, but halfway through, he gives it some distortion...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SdpAoWRUTo&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB03I9g5rt0&sns=em

Among the HB types, I like the Electra Omegas, the Malden Karma and Bad Karma. Also, Godin makes excellent singlecuts with HBs or P90s in their Core and Icon series.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I will add a Fender Blacktop HH Stratocaster to the list as well!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Besides what has been suggested above...

In the singlecut singlecoil guitars, I'm in love with the Reverend Rick Vito with its P90 in the neck and Supro in the bridge. (The second vid is Russian, but halfway through, he gives it some distortion...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SdpAoWRUTo&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB03I9g5rt0&sns=em

Among the HB types, I like the Electra Omegas, the Malden Karma and Bad Karma. Also, Godin makes excellent singlecuts with HBs or P90s in their Core and Icon series.

Thanks for the suggestions. Only the Godins are easy to get here, the other ones are a pretty hard buy here. I will check your suggestions out!
Forgot: G&L has some excellent Tele-style guitars with humbuckers. Definitely worth checking out.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by GuitarL91

I'm quite happy with my Strat Blacktop. The humbuckers really make a noticeable difference and the coil splitter lets it be used like a single coil Strat in positions 2 and 4 so you get the best of both worlds.

I'm running mine through a XXX 212 and I think the only thing I can't really pull off is the heavily distorted modern metal- There isn't enough umph coming out of those pickups for that sound but I have a Schecter with EMGs for that sound.
Quote by GuitarL91

IIRC your guitar is routed out in the HSH configuration. So IMO you would just be better off buying a new HH pickguard, the pups you want, a new set of 500k pots, and maybe a switch. This way you don't have to downgrade guitars and you will still get what you're looking for. If I was in your shoes, I would do this before downgrading just to get an HH guitar, especially just trading one Strat for another. So I would definitely check what your guitar is routed for before trading for another one.
Quote by JustRooster
Hey!

To me, honestly, it sounds as if new pickups are the best solution. If you like the feel, but just want more push out of your sound, new pups is a quick solution. Unless, of course, you get new guitar fever, which is a dangerous ailment.

this. when you say gary moore are you talking about his blues era tone or one of his others? if it's the blues era then a LP with humbuckers was used and you just aren't getting that out of a strat. some of the other players you mentioned would be better served by that setup as well (peter green, Santana)
Quote by monwobobbo
this. when you say gary moore are you talking about his blues era tone or one of his others? if it's the blues era then a LP with humbuckers was used and you just aren't getting that out of a strat. some of the other players you mentioned would be better served by that setup as well (peter green, Santana)

Yeah I'm pointing at his blues tone (his iconic Still Got The Blues tone for example). I know it all comes down to his huge ability, feel, guitar, amp, etc.

I do come close with my PRS (and amp and pedal) but more some hotter/more output is always welcome! As you said, HH serves the style of other players as well.