That's definitely sound processing, not guitar technique. I suspect judicious use of plug-ins, but can't be sure.
Not sure exactly what you're referring to here but all that's going on there is you have two guitars playing different things; one's playing a very lightly overdriven (almost no gain at all) rhythm figure and the other has a bit more gain and hits the same chords once per change. There's really nothing fancy going on but it's never going to be a sound you can get just playing on your own.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Not sure exactly what you're referring to here but all that's going on there is you have two guitars playing different things; one's playing a very lightly overdriven (almost no gain at all) rhythm figure and the other has a bit more gain and hits the same chords once per change. There's really nothing fancy going on but it's never going to be a sound you can get just playing on your own.

The very first power chord breaks up in an interesting way. That effect is what i'm curious about.

It starts out sounding like just a chord that he let ring, but then it decays into an intermittant "cutting-out" sort of sound.
Then I have no idea what you're talking about; I can't hear anything sounding like it's cutting out at all.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I hear nothing but two guitars -- one clean and the other overdriven mildly (a very nice tone, I might add). While I don't hear what you're talking about regarding a "cutting out" sound -- I think what makes that chord sound a little different is the voicing. I'm pretty sure the chord you hear ringing out is a reverse power chord -- not a standard one. They tend to sound bigger, thicker, and more harmonically complex.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
I hear nothing but two guitars -- one clean and the other overdriven mildly (a very nice tone, I might add). While I don't hear what you're talking about regarding a "cutting out" sound -- I think what makes that chord sound a little different is the voicing. I'm pretty sure the chord you hear ringing out is a reverse power chord -- not a standard one. They tend to sound bigger, thicker, and more harmonically complex.

The chords are really simple:

e|---------
b|---------
g|---------
d|-9-9-7-9-
a|-7-7-5-7-
d|-0-7-5-7-

Dmaj7, Bsus2, Gsus2, Bsus2.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Is that swirl you're talking about?

Sometimes amps just seem to do that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Is that swirl you're talking about?

Sometimes amps just seem to do that.

"Swirl" isn't a word that would've occurred to me but after you said it I can see how you might call it a swirl.

I might be talking about a swirl.
Quote by paul.housley.7
"Swirl" isn't a word that would've occurred to me but after you said it I can see how you might call it a swirl.

That's literally just an interaction of the chords and the gain. Nothing at all weird going on there.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by paul.housley.7

it's one of those words that TGP goes nuts over

I'm not sure if it's a real thing or not. But if it is, I suspect that's what you're hearing. If that makes sense.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try getting a nice overdriven tone on your amp, then dialing the volume knob back just a little on your guitar. I don't hear any effects but I do hear what you are talking it. It's sounds kinda like if you were to hit the same notes on two strings but one of the notes was slightly out of tune, the desconstructive interference kind of makes the note flutter.

Not saying that's what's going on here, it's definitely just how the chord interacts with the over drive. Sounds nice.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
Quote by woodsballplayer
Try getting a nice overdriven tone on your amp, then dialing the volume knob back just a little on your guitar. I don't hear any effects but I do hear what you are talking it. It's sounds kinda like if you were to hit the same notes on two strings but one of the notes was slightly out of tune, the desconstructive interference kind of makes the note flutter.

Not saying that's what's going on here, it's definitely just how the chord interacts with the over drive. Sounds nice.

Flutter is a really good word. I know you're hearing it.

I think it sounds awesome and I would like to be able to do it myself. I am guessing solid state amps won't get it done.

It sounds more obvious on a better stereo. My car stereo is pretty nice after I did a few upgrades and it was there that I first noticed it. I can hear it on my cellphone too, but it's more difficult to pick out.
that might be what it is, actually, the notes being very slightly out of tune.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?