Page 1 of 2
Well, let's see how far the price inflation goes on eBay.
Queue the mad rush for those big dipper pickups, too.
I totally don't care.

John Mayer slays chicks though. Thats awesome.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Why fork out for the Big Dippers when they're just mid-boosted Fat 50's. Get those and a TBX and you'll have the sound
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
As much as I like and respect John Mayer for his work in John Mayer Trio (as far as his solo work goes, I pretty much don't give a $#!t), that Tweet reads like something that came out of the head of a pissed-off preteen drama queen on a bad breakup.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
read his feed to get context. i dont think he was being douchy. plus, thats totally not his personality. hes generally laid back, jovial, and goofy
Quote by JustRooster
Why fork out for the Big Dippers when they're just mid-boosted Fat 50's. Get those and a TBX and you'll have the sound

"Dipper" refers to the mid scoop those pickups have. Point stands, though - they're not terribly far off from any number of more readily available pickups.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I totally don't care.

John Mayer slays chicks though. Thats awesome.

The judge and jury were less impressed when I did that.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Roc8995
"Dipper" refers to the mid scoop those pickups have. Point stands, though - they're not terribly far off from any number of more readily available pickups.

Didn't know that. Maybe that mid swoosh he has comes from the Two Rocks.
It will be interesting to see who makes his next sig. Carvin? G&L?

Minarik?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I thought I posted this in the Strat thread, huh.
Quote by JustRooster

I thought about getting Big Dipper pickups (I think you even responded to me in the Strat thread), but yeah, that kind of money needn't be spent when there's a market that tries to recreate that sound. It can be replicated with a plain old vintage-sound Strat pickup and an EQ in the chain. Klein's Jazzy Cats or S-5 even has samples that are from JM tracks, if you're so inclined to have that sound coming from the pickup.

Quote by JustRooster
Didn't know that. Maybe that mid swoosh he has comes from the Two Rocks.

From what I can hear and have gleamed from his Rig Rundown, the mids are scooped even more so.

Then again, he's got like a hundred Strats and loads of other guitars. Lately, I hear his sound isn't as scooped as he's strayed away from his signature Strat/Black One. In his "All Along the Watchtower" cover, I think he was playing a Clapton Strat, which has mids and then some more to spare.
Quote by Linkerman
As much as I like and respect John Mayer for his work in John Mayer Trio (as far as his solo work goes, I pretty much don't give a $#!t), that Tweet reads like something that came out of the head of a pissed-off preteen drama queen on a bad breakup.

I may be a Mayer enthusiast, but I'm willing to fault him when he's wrong (the man used to talk some bullshit). Where do you even see any hint of anything like that? He's just saying facts, it's detached from any sort of emotion.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
It will be interesting to see who makes his next sig. Carvin? G&L?

Minarik?

I'd see Deusenberg do it, to be honest. He has been playing them a lot both live and in studio and they could use him as a marketing tool. Great guitars, also.
Duesenbergs ARE great, but they already have a pretty good stable of artists, so I'm not sure they NEED him, per se. Of course, adding another famous face to the stable can't hurt, either.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

meh
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Duesenbergs ARE great, but they already have a pretty good stable of artists, so I'm not sure they NEED him, per se. Of course, adding another famous face to the stable can't hurt, either.

Well, they're not as popular as their quality deserves, in my opinion. Bringing in a guitar gear freak like Mayer who's also a well-loved guitar player might be a strong move commercially.
Wouldn't say no to that. Pickup covers are fugly but the color makes up for it.
Stay tuned -- this announcement would not have been made if there weren't already another endorsement deal signed.

It's the equivalent of putting the Avengers movie on cable *just* before the premiere of Avengers II.

Wait for it.....wait for iiiiiiitttt....
Quote by I K0nijn I
Well, they're not as popular as their quality deserves, in my opinion. Bringing in a guitar gear freak like Mayer who's also a well-loved guitar player might be a strong move commercially.

I could say the same of 100 other guitar makers.

Touché!

But you know what I mean- imagine if Mayer went with one of those companies known for making great Stratclones. Besides the ones I mentioned initially, what about Suhr? Or b3?

Or a custom maker like Mayones or Bowes? First Act's custom shop? Ruokangas?

What if he went a different route and picked some NEW company, like Codella?

Mayer's endorsement could mean the world to some of those smaller companies.

Quote by Roc8995
Wouldn't say no to that. Pickup covers are fugly but the color makes up for it.

i'd totally hit that too.

bonnie pink for the record.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i'd love it if he pics G&L.

but i'm guessing Suhr or PRS. 51% PRS - 49% Suhr.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
i'd love it if he pics G&L.

but i'm guessing Suhr or PRS. 51% PRS - 49% Suhr.

Given the kind of guitars he plays I'd put the money more on Suhr personally; much closer to the Fender style... in that they do Strat and Tele copies
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah I'd be voted Suhr or G&L.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I could also see him going with one of the more notable reliced guitar makers, like Nash.

I could see him go with ESP. It seems out of sort but Ron Wood has an ESP model and I think they want to get their foot further in on more non metal style guitars.
I wonder what prompted the change. Was it Fender, disappointed in sales of his sig guitar? Was he tricked off that they closed the Ovation factory back in his home state?

Was it a mutually driven parting of the ways?

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 25, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I wonder what prompted the change. Was it Fender, disappointed in sales of his sig guitar? Was he tricked off that they closed the Ovwtion factory back in his home state?

Given the tweet I'd bet something happened, nothing about this smells of "I'm just moving on" to me
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Was just on CL and guess whats for sale?,, a John Mayer Strat for $950. Coincidence?
Btw: "Ovwtion" = "Ovation."

(Corrected in post.)

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I wonder what prompted the change. Was it Fender, disappointed in sales of his sig guitar? Was he tricked off that they closed the Ovation factory back in his home state?

I doubt it was the first situation. Of all of the Fender sigs in that price range, I'd put money that his is the most popular, or possibly second to Clapton. He's still widely popular and there are loads of people chasing his tone.

I wonder if we'll see another JM electric sig, he's still mainly a Strat user.
They had lots of opportunities to drop him for general jackassery- a frequent cause of cancelled celebrity endorsements- and didn't. Which lends credence to your assessment of sig sales...

Maybe they DID piss him off. Or maybe his tastes have changed some.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
They had lots of opportunities to drop him for general jackassery- a frequent cause of cancelled celebrity endorsements- and didn't. Which lends credence to your assessment of sig sales...

Maybe they DID piss him off. Or maybe his tastes have changed some.

They probably should have dropped him then, I'm not sure why Fender would do it now that he hasn't acted out of order in a few years (or I missed something).

His tastes have changed a bit, you see him play a few more Gibsons, I think I've seen him with one PRS, a few Alembics. The Big Dipper pickups don't get much stage time.
He won't pick G&L. G&L doesn't make Strat copies, they make Strat evolutions. Most people end up prefering Fender style Strats, including me, a G&L fanboy.
Ernie Ball Music Man?
Reverend?
Last edited by peskypesky at Oct 30, 2014,
Quote by peskypesky

Reverend?

If he were wise, yeah!

But we've seen little indication of that.

Reverend has made some very interesting sigs. Here's one of the original 32 Rick Vitos (nothing like the current version...which is still a killer):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Reverend-Rick-Vito-Signature-6-String-Guitar-Chrome-Very-Rare-Only-32-Made-/251693286381?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:US:3160
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 30, 2014,
Quote by peskypesky
Ernie Ball Music Man?

Waaaay too modern from what I know of both EBMM and Mayer; he's much more likely to go with a brand better known for its vintage cred.
Page 1 of 2