I am just a beginner so if I'm gonna buy a new amp it can't be too expensive. I have looked at the Randall KH75 and I wonder what you think about it. I have always had a Line6 Spider III amp and I feel sick and tired of it. It sounds so lame when I play rock and metal and want to get a powerful dist sounds. I play metal and rock and use dist all the time. Others on this forum said that I should get a Line6 POD HD500 and a pair of speakers/headphones. But that will be to expensive for a beginner like me I think.

Do you have any experience with the Line6 Spider III and do you think that the Randall KH75 will make a big difference in sound if I want a strong/agressive metal dist? I also like Metallica and Kirk Hammett by the way. Do you think I should buy the KH75 or do you know any other amp for the same price with even better sound? Do you agree that the Spider III sounds lame as shit or am I wrong?
Quote by Zerpent93
Others on this forum said that I should get a Line6 POD HD500 and a pair of speakers/headphones. But that will be to expensive for a beginner like me I think.
Any reason why you think beginners don't have the same right to sound good that pro's have?

Also if you buy an average amp now you'll have to buy a more expensive amp in the future if you will want to sound better, so why not sounding better from this point on?
Quote by Zerpent93
Do you have any experience with the Line6 Spider III and do you think that the Randall KH75 will make a big difference in sound if I want a strong/agressive metal dist?
Better than the spider, yeah, but not much good anyway.
Quote by Zerpent93
I also like Metallica and Kirk Hammett by the way. Do you think I should buy the KH75 or do you know any other amp for the same price with even better sound?
I can think of a lot of them.

First ones coming to my mind are the peavey 6505+ combo, the Jet City 50w high gain combo, and possibly the marshall DSL401.

Metallica changed their sound quite a bit over the years though, so would you be more specific?
Also mentioning other bands/songs if the sound you wanna achieve can compare to that?
Quote by Zerpent93
Do you agree that the Spider III sounds lame as shit or am I wrong?
As lame as shit might be exaggerated, but t does sound pretty bad if ya ask me, yeah.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I see. I like the new Metallica like Death Magnetic. But I have also looked at the Vox VT80+, what do you think about that? Better than the KH75?
Please give us these informations as asked on the GG&A Rules and Resources Center so that we can give you better advice:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
It could be bit expensive, yes, but as Spambot_2 states, you have all the right to sound good. And sounding good inspires a lot of people to play, myself included.
I wouldn't go for as big of a SS combo as you are looking for with both KH75 and VT80+. If you want to use your setup for recording, playing through headphones and decent speakers, then the HD500 setup should be fine.

However, if you're like me and want to play through a tube amp (the differences these days are a fine line, but... it's got a lot of sentimental value), I'd go for the Laney Ironheart series. They've got watt reduction, sound nice even on low volumes. Nice cleans, good crunch, excellent distortion. Many different models that you can choose from. All the way from 15W head to 30W combo to 120W head. Other nice budget brands, as mentioned, Jet City and Peavey Valveking/6505 (the made in China ones are inexpensive).

Not possibly the best Metallica sound, but hey, you got to realize that if you want to sound like Metallica.. well... you will be quite much further from it with a KH75 combo than Laney IRT series, trust me.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Budget: 300-400 euros.

Genres: Metal. Bands like "new Metallica" (Death Magnetic), Insomnium, Be'lakor, Amon Amarth. My favourite guitarist is Kirk Hammett.

New/Used: Want a new.

Home/Gig: I always play and practice at home. Want an amp that also sounds good at really low volumes.

Closest city: Gothenburg in Sweden.

Current gear: Amp is Line6 Spider III, guitar is Ibanez grg170dx-bkn with Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings (9s).

Solid state/tube: Mostly interested in solid state amp.

Amps I am thinking about buying: Randall KH75, Vox VT40+ or VoxVT80+.

I want an amp with good dist/metal sound. The clean sound does not have to be that good and it's not as important. I try to learn lead guitar and solos mostly and not so much rythm.
Last edited by Zerpent93 at Oct 14, 2014,
If you want a good solid state for metal, go for a Peavey Vypyr VIP 2.

It's much better than the Vox VT for that. The Vox has better cleans, though, but you said those aren't important for you anyway.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Oct 14, 2014,
Quote by Linkerman

It's much better than the Vox VT for that. The Vox has better cleans, though, but you said those aren't important for you anyway.

I took a look at it and listened to some demos on Youtube and it sounds great!
But what about the VIP 3? Does it have better sound or is it just better on higher volumes and gigs or what are the differences between the VIP 2 and VIP 3?
The price tag is great too btw. Thanks so much for the help.
Quote by Zerpent93
I took a look at it and listened to some demos on Youtube and it sounds great!
But what about the VIP 3? Does it have better sound or is it just better on higher volumes and gigs or what are the differences between the VIP 2 and VIP 3?
The price tag is great too btw. Thanks so much for the help.

The VIP 3 gets louder. But the VIP 2 is plenty loud. Since you'll just be using it for bedroom playing, the VIP 3 would be overkill.

And the VIP 2 is gig-worthy too, it just would have to be mic'd up in bigger venues.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
I see . I'm gonna order the VIP 2 right now. But I just noticed, what's the difference between the two VIP 2s? There is one with a 1x12 custom speaker and another cheaper without it. Which one should I get? The one with the custom speaker that is more expensive is in the section "Amps for acoustic guitars" :O.
Quote by Zerpent93
I see . I'm gonna order the VIP 2 right now. But I just noticed, what's the difference between the two VIP 2s? There is one with a 1x12 custom speaker and another cheaper without it. Which one should I get? The one with the custom speaker that is more expensive is in the section "Amps for acoustic guitars" :O.

I see one for 208,90€ (this one) that is cheaper because it's an unit that has been returned by a customer for some reason.

The one I mentioned before, for 222€, is a brand-new one.

Both have the same 1x12" Peavey speaker, the full sentence just doesn't show on the main search result page.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Oct 14, 2014,
Quote by Zerpent93
Others on this forum said that I should get a Line6 POD HD500 and a pair of speakers/headphones. But that will be to expensive for a beginner like me I think.

If you think that's too expensive for a beginner just wait til you're shopping for real amplifiers. Seriously though, that would be a great setup, specifically for a beginner. Also, if you're not willing to spend that much, all you're going to get for an amp in that budget is a solid state modeler, which most likely won't sound any better than the POD, and will have less tone options.
Quote by Linkerman

Having owned both a Vox VT and currently a Vypyr, I agree with this.