I was recently interested in a Jackson Soloist with EMG's 81 and 85, but I have an SS amp. As far as I know that ain't a good combination. So my guitar search became limited to guitars with passive pups. I will be playing metal like Pantera and Machine Head.
Budget:About 800USD
Location:Poland, 15 km from Germany, so I can buy wherever I please.
Used is alright.
Current gear: Randall RG150 head and a Laney 2x12 Ironheart Cab, Sterling by MusicMan AX3 TBL
EDIT:Must have floating tremolo.
Last edited by It's_Loveless at Oct 14, 2014,
I don't think the guitar was the issue when it came to playing metal. I think the amp is the culprit. Albeit I know nothing about the RG150. I would say a new amp is in the works, unless you really just don't like active pickups.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
I don't think the guitar was the issue when it came to playing metal. I think the amp is the culprit. Albeit I know nothing about the RG150. I would say a new amp is in the works, unless you really just don't like active pickups.

What I have is the reissue of one of the two best metal SS amps in the world. I'm 100% sure that I don't need a new amp. Besides I don't need active pickups. All they do is rob my off my batteries. Plus, a guitar with passive pickups will be a bit cheaper too.
Quote by It's_Loveless
I was recently interested in a Jackson Soloist with EMG's 81 and 85, but I have an SS amp. As far as I know that ain't a good combination.

What leads you to believe this?
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
What leads you to believe this?

A bunch of UG threads and Cathbard was saying it in one of them, and I trust that dude completely
The pickups will be fine. You having Randall solid state is not a reason to not get a guitar with active pickups.
This was recorded with your Randall and with a EMG 81 equipped guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UiN6CLzpFQ

But if you dont need or want them, you have a lot of guitars to choose from.
Oh, and Cathbard is very knowledgeable when it comes to electronics and amps but he is also VERY strongly opinionated, almost black and white if I may say so. Good music and good tone are all subjective. His opinions and tastes are not the ultimate truth for everyone, just for him only. You may take pointers from others but only you can decide whats good for YOU in the end.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
The pickups will be fine. You having Randall solid state is not a reason to not get a guitar with active pickups.
This was recorded with your Randall and with a EMG 81 equipped guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UiN6CLzpFQ

But if you dont need or want them, you have a lot of guitars to choose from.
Oh, and Cathbard is very knowledgeable when it comes to electronics and amps but he is also VERY strongly opinionated, almost black and white if I may say so. Good music and good tone are all subjective. His opinions and tastes are not the ultimate truth for everyone, just for him only. You may take pointers from others but only you can decide whats good for YOU in the end.

Can y'all please suggest some models of guitars with passives(kinda like the natural sound of them)? Just not Gibson, I don't have 4000USD to spend.

EDIT: I had a bunch of guitars bookmarked, are these alright?

Dean ML 79 F TBZ

Schecter Synyster Gates Standard :
Duncan Designed HB-108 Detonators
Vol/Tone(tap)/3-Way switch
Passive pups and a floating trem for playing metal?

The usual suspects in the $800 range would be Dean, DBZ, ESP/LTD, Fernandes, Schecter, BC Rich, and Ibanez. All of those brands have a lot of guitars aimed at the harder genres of music.

Among my favorite unusual options would be any of the Reverend guitars equipped with RailHammer Chisel or Anvil pickups.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 14, 2014,
Quote by It's_Loveless
Can y'all please suggest some models of guitars with passives(kinda like the natural sound of them)? Just not Gibson, I don't have 4000USD to spend.

Well, since the Jackson has caught your eye the obvious choice would the the Jackson Soloist or Dinky in same price range that does NOT have active EMGs, duh.

http://www.thomann.de/pl/jackson_soloist_slx_mr.htm

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Well, since the Jackson has caught your eye the obvious choice would the the Jackson Soloist or Dinky in same price range that does NOT have active EMGs, duh.

http://www.thomann.de/pl/jackson_soloist_slx_mr.htm

Do you know anything about the trem on it? I've heard the stock Jackson trems aren't really great, or is that a myth?
Holy hell, that green one looks like pure sex
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Passive pups and a floating trem for playing metal?

The usual suspects in the $800 range would be Dean, DBZ, ESP/LTD, Fernandes, Schecter, BC Rich, and Ibanez.

Yeah, what's wrong with that?
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by It's_Loveless
Do you know anything about the trem on it? I've heard the stock Jackson trems aren't really great, or is that a myth?

Its not a Jackson licensed trem but a Korean made Floyd Rose Special. Its not the best Floyd around but its better than most licensed trems. I am not a floyd user but from what I have gathered the baseplate and knife-edges are steel so it should not wear out as fast as most licensed tinfloyds, which is the important part. But the sustainer block and saddles are zinc alloy like in cheap licensed Floyds.

Now, in this price a Floyd Rose Special is probably the best you can get. Only some BC Riches have the better Korean model Floyd Rose 1000.

Holy hell, that green one looks like pure sex

Well, to me the bright flashy neon colors usually make my tooth ache for some reason. They remind me of candy I guess.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Oct 14, 2014,
Quote by RCA1186

Wow, thanks for these! Anyway, do you have some info on the LTD Alexi Laiho signatures? I've been drooling over these guitars since I was 13.
I used to have the Alexi-600. You could probably pick one of those up pretty cheap used. I sold mine for $550. I hated the EMG Hz that came with it though. Floyd Rose 1000 Bridge. Always stayed in tune. Loved the guitar, grew out of V shapes
+More

Quote by RCA1186
I used to have the Alexi-600. You could probably pick one of those up pretty cheap used. I sold mine for $550. I hated the EMG Hz that came with it though. Floyd Rose 1000 Bridge. Always stayed in tune. Loved the guitar, grew out of V shapes

What was wrong with that EMG?
Was it a guitar like this?
http://guitarcenter.pl/catalog/images/LTD_Alexi-600_Scythe.jpg?pID=5221
I thought it sounded pretty tinny/weak. Worst sounding Hz I've heard I much prefer the Hz H4's. I ended up putting in an active EMG 81
+More

Quote by It's_Loveless
Yeah, what's wrong with that?

Absolutely nothing.

In fact, I personally love my 2 Dean and 2 Fernandes guitars. (All hardtails, though.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If you can buy used, I would look for a Ibanez Prestige with the Edge or Edge Pro. They are some of the best trems you will ever play. They come with passive pickups but you will likely want to swap them out. Used prestige can be had for $500, leaving plenty of cash for a set of good passives.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Absolutely nothing.

In fact, I personally love my 2 Dean and 2 Fernandes guitars. (All hardtails, though.)

Oh, ok.
Quote by J_W
If you can buy used, I would look for a Ibanez Prestige with the Edge or Edge Pro. They are some of the best trems you will ever play. They come with passive pickups but you will likely want to swap them out. Used prestige can be had for $500, leaving plenty of cash for a set of good passives.

Ibanez RG655CBM Prestige(HSH) with Dimarzio Tone Zone True Velvet And Air Norton. Worth it? Price:About 670USD

IBANEZ PRESTIGE RG2550(HSH again) Neck PU:
DiMarzio IBZ RG
Mid PU:
DiMarzio IBZ RG-S
Bridge PU:
DiMarzio IBZ RG
Price:About 665USD
Or is this better?
they're going to both be much of a muchness- i would suspect, since I haven't tried those two exact models. But normally with the prestiges the guitars are pretty similar (if not identical) apart from the pickups, body woods (if the model comes in a different body wood) and other specs (like number/type of pickups, type of tremolo etc.).

in the case of those two, i'd say the 655 has got arguably the better trem (at least, the one the ibanez fanboys from back in the day tend to prefer), and arguably slightly better pickups (though a lot of that is preference). the 655 seems to have a slightly slimmer neck, too.

you're not going to go too far wrong with either, in other words. personally, i'd take the 655. but a lot (maybe all) of that is preference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by It's_Loveless
A bunch of UG threads and Cathbard was saying it in one of them, and I trust that dude completely

I think you have a misunderstanding of how active pickups and solid state amps interact...
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I think you have a misunderstanding of how active pickups and solid state amps interact...

Care to explain? I'm honestly clueless when it comes to pickups.
I'd strongly recommend anything from Schecter. They have tons of models with passive pups and Floyd trems. A Banshee or a Blackjack would be perfect. The Synyster Sig model is a great guitar, but I don't personally recommend it just because it's ridiculously flashy, and way too personal to the player himself, in my opinion. It's impossible to hold one of those guitars and not look like a huge A7X fanboy. The Jeff Loomis and Keith Merrow sig models are much more subtle.
You can use EMGs with a SS amp, but I second an Ibanez with edge trem. I love my RG570. If you want to check out more passive pickups, the tone zone is pretty nice on the bridge for metal imo!
Metal guitars:
Jackson King V, Kelly, Rhoads models (X or Pro series)
BC Rich Warlock NJ Series
Dean ML "Dean From Hell"

Metal pickup combos (since guitars usually don't come with the desired pickups):
Seymour Duncan Distortion/'59
Seymour Duncan Distortion/JB
EMG 81/85 (most used)
DiMarzio X2N
Bill Lawrence L500R