Just read an article here concerning how to learn to play guitar properly using repetition and the subconscious mind. Fascinating.
Is this to say that repetition will always be what I'll be using to learn a song?Is learning guitar simply a matter of becoming more efficient in repetitive practice? How easy is it for yea Guitar Gods to learn a new song?
Becomes a little easier everytime, but essentially it is somewhat of a repetitive practice.

Technique is in the brain, not the hands. If you do a task (playing) perfectly and relaxed enough times, the brain will remember how to do that. You are essentially programming your brain how to control your hands.

That being said, i still ALWAYS start extremely slow when learning a new tune, just for that reason. I want to program in the good stuff (small movements, relaxation, accuracy etc) so deep into my brain that it becomes impossible for me to play it wrong.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
For the most part, yeah.

Repetition is going to be the main load of what you'll be doing if you want to be good at your instrument. I recommend picking up or finding a copy of 'Effortless Mastery' by Kenny Werner. It'll teach you to put yourself in the correct mindset for practicing and performing.

There's also the musical side to things, like, you know, theory and all that stuff, but as far as using the instrument as a means of communicating musical ideas, yeah. All repetition.

Basically, you're building a technical mastery, and not the kind that involves sweep picking arpeggios at break-neck speed. That's missing the point. It's the kind where your mind sort of gets cut out of the equation and the music plays itself.

The way I see it, when most people play the guitar, here's how it goes:

You know what you want to play -> You look at the instrument and decide how to do it -> You tell your hands to do it -> Your hands (hopefully) do it.

The goal is to get to a point where:

You have a vague idea of what you want to hear -> Your hands do it, and likely surprise you by playing it more beautifully than you imagined.

To get to the second one, it involves copious amounts of perfect practice (repetition) and the correct mindset. Emphasis on mindset. It's easy to tense up and get frustrated when the notes don't come out like you want them to. Then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and you always sound pretty stale.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Oct 14, 2014,