This is really embarrassing but... I got a new pack of strings and I broke one of the guitar strings just putting it on. What I did was make too many loops and snapped it off up top. The string also cut my arm and I was bleeding. Am I the only one who has ever done this? Or just come forward and say it... oh my god this guy is ******ed. I would feel better if one other person in the world has screwed up that badly.
a few times every other day with my first guitar.

but that was mostly due to the bur on the bridge. i was constantly breaking G.

i've wound strings on the wrong way before, too. shit happens.

now here's my pit answer:

you need a new amp. i cum blood. something else that hasn't been funny ever.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Last edited by jakesmellspoo at Oct 14, 2014,
I've done it plenty of times, however once you get the hang of changing strings, it should not be an issue anymore. Make sure you leave enough slack for the string to wrap around the peg several times, but not too much so that it has room to wind around the peg. Also, never pull the string all the way through at the top before you start, because then it will only wrap around the peg maybe half way, which makes it easier to break strings and easier for it to go out of tune.
It's happened to me using no-name knock-off cheapo strings bought at various dingy dive "music shops" in my Alabama days (Valley and Wadley had a few of those). I've also had a plastic ball end from a set of those for my classical fly off once the string was up to proper pitch...hit me on the edge of my eye socket!
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
I once almost ****ed up the whole bridge with some kind of baritone strings
Oddly enough, I've only ever done that with Ernie Ball 10-52 strings. I bought three packs and each one had a string that broke on me. From now on, I will NEVER buy Ernie Ball strings.
i never have a problem with Ernie Balls. tee hee

buy em all the time. usually last at least a year, although i'm not playing my guitar too much these days.

i think the strings i have on now have been there for over 4 years.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
EB 10-52 is awesome. Never had a problem with them.

People are too quick to blame the strings. Usually the problem with breaking a string is that a sharp edge or a burr somewhere along the string's path cuts it for you.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I thought that I had a problem with my guitar at first, but after trying other brands and gauges, the only problems I experienced were with the EB strings.

Your results may vary. :P
I can't remember if it ever happened to me with my guitar, but I've broken mandolin strings twice while trying to put them on.
Yes, and it went into my thumb when it snapped one time, and another time it hit me in the face.
I have.

One time the string hit me on the arm, and it didn't hurt, but it itched really bad for hours.

and then another time I was trying to bend the excess string over at the tuner and instead the end went right into my finger like quarter of an inch.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
I have.

One time the string hit me on the arm, and it didn't hurt, but it itched really bad for hours.

This deserves the "cool story, bro".
this
Quote by MetalMullet
This deserves the "cool story, bro".

I don't think you understand the severity of the situation.

It was severe.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Ohhhh yeah, the goddamn high E string! Overtightening obviously. No need to be ashamed, dude, it happens to everyone
Yamaha F310P "Bella"
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Goldtop "Chrysa"
Fender Standard Stratocaster "Michelle"
Fender Classic Series 70s Stratocaster "Nefertiti"

Marshall DSL15C
BIAS FX & AMP
Line 6 POD X3

Dunlop Stubby 3.0mm picks
D'Addario strings
Last edited by CostasNoir at Oct 14, 2014,
This happened to me when i was changing the strings for the first time in my life
no, but I've broken a guitar by guitaring a string
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
I once broke a string while having sex. The passionate air vibrations reached my guitar and it made a squealing sound before breaking.
Quote by eGraham

and then another time I was trying to bend the excess string over at the tuner and instead the end went right into my finger like quarter of an inch.

I've done this too. Hurts like a mofo and also makes it hard to play guitar when your finger has just been stabbed.
I've actually never had it happen to me. Not in all of my 11 years of playing.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album