I've recently bought a fender princeton 65 amp. It's got a really beautiful clean channel, but it shounds like shit when connecting a distortion pedal. Is it normal with this amp? Can something be done with it?
Fenders typically take pedals pretty well.
What pedal?
What are your settings?
What do you not like about it? it sounding like shit can mean so many different things
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ Yeah.

Try rolling some treble off. Maybe lower your gain a bit. Maybe add some mids or bass. The same settings may not work for a good clean tone and a good distorted tone (I for example like pretty bright clean sound but distortion easily sounds really harsh if it's too bright).

But it could also be a crappy distortion pedal. So what distortion pedal are you using and what are your pedal/amp settings?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I've tried different options, and none of them work well enough. The dist is Metal Muff. The sound is really trebly and grainy (like boss distortions), doesn't even compare to the massive wall of sound coming from my Marshall vs8020. Rolling off the treble doesn't give a satisfying effect.
Did you roll off your amp's treble or the muff's treble? If the sound is trebly, you need to roll of the treble. Start with all the EQ knobs at noon (both your amp and your distortion) and then start tweaking.

What are your pedal and amp settings?
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by kuba10357110
Tried everything, every setting and nothing sounds good. Guess I'll have to sell it.

Does that amp have an FX loop? if it does try plugging the pedal into the FX return and see if that will work.

So your chain would be guitar>metal muff>FX return
You will be bypassing the eq of your amp and only the master volume will function.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There are two Princeton 65 amps.

One is a Tube Reissue and the other is a Really harsh sounding (Imho) solid state amp.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
@Robgnarly the amp doesn't have master volume, only separate knobs for the clean and drive channel. I've tried putting the muff in the return of the fx loop and it still sounded way too trebly than it should've been, even after rolling the treble knobs.

@boblittle I've got the solid state version of the princeton.

After a lot of tweaking I found a settings that sounds quite good, but still not quite what I wanted. Would changing the speaker improve the amps performance, since all the bad sound doesn't come from the preamp?
Buy a new amp.

Several posts you said you tried every setting and it's bad. As soon as Bob pointed there's a good and bad sounding one you suddenly found something to work, and come up with things like speaker replacement.

I'm willing to bet you don't want to feel bad about the amp, and can't change it anytime soon, and you want to avoid the feeling of remorse by justify it with speaker replacement, and the clean channel is "oh so nice".

Don't feel bad though, it's natural for humans to rationalize the good points to avoid emotions that make them sad or perhaps ashamed of themselves making a bad choice

Devil's advocate out

/

Save for a new amp if you want a nice distortion that much. You will actually feel so much better after that, and just bite the dust until you have the dough.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 18, 2014,
I'm reading this thinking, "hey what now?" But it's the SS thing.
They're just a really shitty amp, man. Buy a proper Princeton.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The tube princeton is wayy more expensive for me, I need an at least 40W amp with a 12" speaker that will take pedals well for under 250$. What would you recommend?
^+1,000,000
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by kuba10357110
@Robgnarly the amp doesn't have master volume, only separate knobs for the clean and drive channel. I've tried putting the muff in the return of the fx loop and it still sounded way too trebly than it should've been, even after rolling the treble knobs.

@boblittle I've got the solid state version of the princeton.

After a lot of tweaking I found a settings that sounds quite good, but still not quite what I wanted. Would changing the speaker improve the amps performance, since all the bad sound doesn't come from the preamp?

If the amp is cheap, I wouldn't bother with a speaker upgrade. It just doesn't make sense. You could find a better amp for the price of a speaker upgrade. And even with the speaker upgrade the amp might not sound that great.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Imo, the ss Princeton is actually one of the better sounding solid state amps...it just doesn't do metal. And I doubt it was intended for metal. That is pretty dumb of Fender to use the same name for different products (also, Mustang).
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20