So I used a can of dupli color clear acrylic lacquer on a build, and a month later it is still not cured.

I tried shining up a little spot, but it just took it right off it seems.

Can I spray a different brand over it with no problems? People have told me you can reapply lacquer at any time. What is a good brand to use?

It dosen't seem the temp here will be above 60 any time soon, what are good temps?

And I thought cutting out the guitar was going to be the hardest step...
Duplicolor clear is notorious for taking forever to cure. If possible, strip* and reapply with something like Minwax Clear Gloss Lacquer. (It's nitro, which is why people like to use it.) You can usually find it at Walmart for around $5 a can.

*Someone feel free to come up with a better solution than stripping down to the color coat
I pride myself on my humility.
Last edited by mtshark at Oct 14, 2014,
Well, apparently i didn't finish the buffing...i used some car scratch remover, and its nice and shiny in that one spot now..but my fingernail still scratches it very easy
Yes mtshark, I would rather not have to strip it down.
Can I not spray over it with a better brand acrylic? Or would that be a problem some how?
Quote by xocarek
Yes mtshark, I would rather not have to strip it down.
Can I not spray over it with a better brand acrylic? Or would that be a problem some how?

I wouldn't overspray it, and I would refinish it with spraycan nitrocellulose (eg from Stewmac) if you can get it. Unfortunately you can't order it internationally, because of shipping restrictions.
I use Dupli-color for my color coats and Minwax for my clear coats and I have never had an issue.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate