Hi, I wanted to ask a question about the Charvel Desolation Soloist DX-1 ST that I recently bought from Sweetwater. It has a tune-o-matic style bridge and when I received the guitar, I noticed that the high E string seemed a little high (I haven't measured yet) It is definitely higher than the other strings. The right side of the bridge is the whole way down so I don't know how I could get the high E string a little lower since the bridge on that side is down as far as it will go. I have a Jackson that has the exact same bridge, the right side isn't down the whole way and the high E is lower. The tech from Sweetwater that did the 55 point inspection would have checked this and I just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks for any help you can give!
pictures... help.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by scottinpa40
The tech from Sweetwater that did the 55 point inspection would have checked this and I just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks for any help you can give!

Then call them up. Seriously, sweetwater will bend over backwards to make sure you're happy. Call your sweetwater rep and have them either contact the person who did the inspection or help you directly.

Otherwise, as Greg said, we're going to need pictures to figure out what's going on here.
sounds like another one of those (poor) designs where an ABR is used on a guitar with a 0 degree neck set angle. ABRs were designed for arched tops and need some room under them to allow for adjustment.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
sounds like another one of those (poor) designs where an ABR is used on a guitar with a 0 degree neck set angle. ABRs were designed for arched tops and need some room under them to allow for adjustment.

Based on this comment, I think I'm starting to understand what TS is trying to say.

TS cannot get his action any lower on the treble side because the TOM bridge post is at the bottom of it's travel.

If that is the case, then your guitar is badly constructed. Return it. It's yet another Charvel Desolation that's a plank.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 15, 2014,
Thanks for the replies. I'm at work and will post a picture of the bridge later tonight. The treble side is definitely the whole way down and can't be lowered anymore.
Must have only been a 54 point inspection...

Double check to make sure that your high E string is actually in the "V" in the bridge saddle.

Make sure that the V in the saddle itself is actually lower than the one for the B string. Ideally, the bridge should be set up so that the curve of the strings in the saddles of the bridge (radius) matches or complements the radius of the frets.

Check the nut and make sure that the E String is settled into the V in the nut. I've had people show me their guitars that had the strings outside of BOTH the saddle notch and the nut's notch.

If the nut is cut too high at the E string, it can be notched a bit lower by a good tech, but not so low that it causes buzzing on the first fret. Again, the bottoms of the strings as they pass through the nut should have about the same radius as the radius of the frets.
I'm thinking the 55 point inspection wasn't really done because of this...even I know that the right side of the bridge shouldn't be clamped the whole way down, with the high E being too high over the frets. I'm going to call Sweetwater tomorrow and see what they can do for me.