Hello again. Love your site.

I've decided on these monitors:

Eris E4.5

Here are the inputs and outputs:

Inputs and outputs
Balanced XLR/¼-inch and unbalanced RCA inputs (E5/E8)
Balanced ¼-inch TRS and unbalanced 1/8-inch TS, RCA inputs (E4.5)
1/8-inch stereo headphone output (E4.5)

And here is the back of my interface:

Currently, I plug my headphones into the jack that says PHONES. Now, I need to know where I will plug these two monitors into and whether I will need any adapter cords.

Thanks so much!
You just need a 1/4" TRS cable to go from the Main Out on your interface to the speaker. 1/4" TRS male on both ends. You need two of them, one for left and one for right.
Assuming your monitors have 1/4" jack connections, the obvious choice would be to use two TRS 1/4" jack cables (that is, two balanced 1/4" jack cables often called 'stereo jack cables' by people). You simply plug one into the MAIN OUT L and one into the MAIN OUT R, and the other ends into your monitors (with the one you put to your left, connected to MAIN OUT L, etc. ).

Edit: They do have 1/4" jacks, realised the brackets in your spec.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Because, presumably, you have several connections on the monitors so have a few options on how you want to connect them to your system - it would be a bit silly/not very cost-effective if they were to try and include cables for each of the connections available, and if they didn't include them all it would seem odd to even include any.

They're only cheap, don't feel ripped off just because you have to buy some cables - consider it the same as if you buy a new tv remote and it doesn't include batteries or something.
Quote by vocoderboy
the monitors have XLR ins on the back 1/4 to XLR would work

No, they don't.
Those aren't the ones he bought though, I don't know how either of you are confused - it clearly says in the OP that he bought the E4.5, which don't have XLR inputs on the back. He even provided a spec, which states the inputs on the E4.5 just below the link to the ones he bought.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Those aren't the ones he bought though, so what's the point in discussing them?

You're right, apologies. I misread his post.
No worries, I didn't initially realise the spec on the top was for the monitors as there were several things listed (bit in brackets says the model number relevant to each line of the spec). Still, he clearly said E4.5 so when I went to check I just typed 'Presonus Eris E4.5 rear' into Google
Yeah... but try googling the product name or even reading the spec They're not gonna shoot a different video for each individual variation of a series of products.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Yeah... but try googling the product name or even reading the spec They're not gonna shoot a different video for each individual variation of a series of products.

Yeah, I don't know how I thought he meant the 8s. It's been a long day -__-

happy now?

Are you salty? And just deleted all your posts? You were wrong, as was I. No need to get uptight about it.
@vocoderboy: Chill out, I'm not trying to be a dick about it or tell you off - just in future, it's a lot easier for everyone if you don't post definite statements about something, contradicting what others have said, without putting some kind of disclaimer that you aren't 100% certain like I first did... no need to delete all your posts

I only even mentioned it because it's clear TS is new to this all and I didn't want him getting confused with incorrect information.
Quote by chaosmoon
Yeah, I don't know how I thought he meant the 8s. It's been a long day -__-

No worries, it happens to all of us

Are you salty? And just deleted all your posts? You were wrong, as was I. No need to get uptight about it.

Yeah, I mean it wasn't a big deal lol. I wouldn't even have made a point of it if it wasn't opposing what the rest of us said, and the TS was probably too new to realise the mistake.
Highly confused now, guys. From Presonus's website, this appears to be the back of the monitor (at least the left one):

Given the image of my interface above, which clearly has a 1/4 " L and a R, what cables/extensions will I need?

Also, I plan to plug these into computer as well (the 1/8" jack). So I may as well plan ahead and ask what extension I'll need for that as well.

Thanks.
You should probably scratch that previous post. I think that may be a picture of the back of the E8. The really don't make this easy on you.

Going to wait to hear back from you guys before speculating further.
Last edited by selftaught1000 at Oct 15, 2014,
Quote by selftaught1000
You should probably scratch that previous post. I think that may be a picture of the back of the E8. The really don't make this easy on you.

Going to wait to hear back from you guys before speculating further.

Yes, that is the E8

The E4.5 DOES NOT have XLR. You'd need a TRS-TRS cable.
Quote by chaosmoon
Yes, that is the E8

The E4.5 DOES NOT have XLR. You'd need a TRS-TRS cable.

Yep. Either way, they BOTH have TRS so whatever is on the back of your monitors, you will be able to hook them up with TRS so buy those!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Okay, if I understand you right. But 2 TRS to TRS balanced cables for monitors. Is that right?

What about connection the monitors to my computer's 1/8" jack. Is there an adapter that has one male ending for 1/8" jack that turns into two TRS cables? Will anything else work?
I'm not sure I understand you, now… why would you be plugging anything into you computer's 1/8" (presumably line out or speaker out) port?

Your interface takes the place of your computer's sound card - everything will go through the interface, and then through your monitors, unless you specifically route it to do otherwise. That's the whole point, bypassing your computers stock audio components and utilising the ones in the audio interface.

You hook the interface up to the monitors by putting one TRS cable into the 'MAIN OUT L' jack, with the other end in the jack marked 'Left' or whatever on your left speaker, and from what I understand you plug MAIN OUT R into another jack on the left speaker, marked as the Right one. Then, you connect the left and right speaker via the terminals marked for the right speaker, at the top of your left speaker, and somewhere on the back of the right speaker. This is because the amp for the speakers is all in the left speaker, rather than isolating them to each speaker as in more expensive active monitors.

So, to clarify…

Interface MAIN OUT L -> left input of left speaker
Interface MAIN OUT R -> right input of left speaker
'Right Speaker' terminal of left speaker -> terminal on right speaker.

That's all you need to do. You should have the wire for the terminals between the two speakers provided for you with the monitors - it will probably be a red wire and a black wire moulded together, with exposed wire tips at each end, which you tie/trap in the corresponding parts of each terminal.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I'm not sure I understand you, now… why would you be plugging anything into you computer's 1/8" (presumably line out or speaker out) port?

Your interface takes the place of your computer's sound card - everything will go through the interface, and then through your monitors, unless you specifically route it to do otherwise. That's the whole point, bypassing your computers stock audio components and utilising the ones in the audio interface.

You hook the interface up to the monitors by putting one TRS cable into the 'MAIN OUT L' jack, with the other end in the jack marked 'Left' or whatever on your left speaker, and from what I understand you plug MAIN OUT R into another jack on the left speaker, marked as the Right one. Then, you connect the left and right speaker via the terminals marked for the right speaker, at the top of your left speaker, and somewhere on the back of the right speaker. This is because the amp for the speakers is all in the left speaker, rather than isolating them to each speaker as in more expensive active monitors.

So, to clarify…

Interface MAIN OUT L -> left input of left speaker
Interface MAIN OUT R -> right input of left speaker
'Right Speaker' terminal of left speaker -> terminal on right speaker.

That's all you need to do. You should have the wire for the terminals between the two speakers provided for you with the monitors - it will probably be a red wire and a black wire moulded together, with exposed wire tips at each end, which you tie/trap in the corresponding parts of each terminal.

Thanks. Yes, that's what I planned to do.

I was also thinking that I might use the monitors w/ my computer at times. Not for DAW or anything, just for a better listening experience.

So, the SECOND, UNRELATED, question is how I'll use the monitors w/ my computer.

Thanks so much. I'm ready to buy the monitors and the two TRS cables. Will hold off on the UNRELATED idea until I hear from you. Thanks again.
Quote by selftaught1000
Thanks. Yes, that's what I planned to do.

I was also thinking that I might use the monitors w/ my computer at times. Not for DAW or anything, just for a better listening experience.

So, the SECOND, UNRELATED, question is how I'll use the monitors w/ my computer.

Thanks so much. I'm ready to buy the monitors and the two TRS cables. Will hold off on the UNRELATED idea until I hear from you. Thanks again.

I don't know if your interface will be any different, but with all three of the interfaces I owned in the past, and the one I use currently, I do LITERALLY NOTHING DIFFERENT and all of my computer sounds come out of my rig when I'm plugged in. I'd imagine it will be the same for you, but I could be totally wrong since Macs tend to behave differently than PCs and I've never used a PC with a recording interface.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
I don't know if your interface will be any different, but with all three of the interfaces I owned in the past, and the one I use currently, I do LITERALLY NOTHING DIFFERENT and all of my computer sounds come out of my rig when I'm plugged in. I'd imagine it will be the same for you, but I could be totally wrong since Macs tend to behave differently than PCs and I've never used a PC with a recording interface.

Wow! You're right. All I had to do was unplug the computer speakers. Thanks a million!
Yeah, all you need to do is set the interface as your default audio device for your computer and everything will go through the interface unless you specifcally route something elsewhere.

And no problem, it's what we're here for