I need some help with wiring my P-J bass with a three way switch and two volumes. I have looked online and haven't found a diagram exactly like this so have tried a few different ways of wiring it up and haven't gotten anything to work with any of my tries (No sound at all when I plug it in). Currently I have it wired like this, it could be way off being right, I'm not sure, but can anyone help me out either with a wringing diagram, or by telling me what I need to change? Also, how would I add in a tone pot later on? I plan on having a tone pot, I just don't have a capacitor to put in yet. Thanks

I got nothing. That looks like it should work. Maybe the wires are switched on the pickups? Sometimes companies use different color codes for the wires.
You may have a bad solder joint somewhere, perhaps.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
I got nothing. That looks like it should work. Maybe the wires are switched on the pickups? Sometimes companies use different color codes for the wires.
You may have a bad solder joint somewhere, perhaps.

Thanks for the reply. They are seymour duncan pickups and thats the colour coded way they said to wire them up, but I'll try switching them around and see if it helps.

Quote by Invader Jim
Check your wiring and if all else fails, start from scratch. That diagram should work.

Ok then, I'll check over it again and maybe start from scratch, thanks for the help.
I have re wired it in the same way as my diagram and it somewhat works now. The bridge jazz pickup works but the neck pbass pickup dose not, there is also a lot of buzzing coming from the amp. I took the pbass pickup out and tried testing its resistance and got no reading, but I also tried testing a pickup that I know works and got no reading, so I don't think it was giving me an accurate measurement. The pickup is also new out of the box (although bought 2 and a half years ago.)
I hooked it up to a jack and plugged it into the amp to tap the pole pieces with a tuning fork to see if there was any sound and it only made sound when I was touching the pole pieces with my finger while taping them with the tuning fork. Any idea why it could be doing this or how to fix it?
In that drawing I see you have one ground circuit which connects the top pot to the selector switch. You have a second ground circuit which connects the output jack and bottom pot together. However the 2 ground circuits aren't connected to each other. You need one continuous ground circuit all the way to the output jack. So you need to get another wire and connect the backs of the two pots together at least.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Oct 16, 2014,
I just fixed up that grounding problem by connecting the two pots and the humming noise has dropped a lot, its still a bit louder then normal though I think. The P-Bass pickup is still not working though unless I am touching the pole pieces, which increases the humming noise considerably and the output of the pickup is very low.
Quote by Phoenix V
You certain have the pickup wires connected in the correct polarity?

I just switched the Pbass pickup wires around and not much changed, there is still very low output from it but it doesn't make a whole lot of nose when touching the pole pieces anymore. I also noticed that when the switch is in the middle position if the neck pot is turned all the way down then the bridge pickup doesn't work. I guess both the pots are working as 2 overall master volumes instead of controlling the individual pickups. I'm not sure if this just started happening since switching the pickup wires around, or if it was doing it before and I just didn't notice.
Do a test. Remove one pickup circuit completely. Do this by disconnecting one of the pot output wires (middle pot tab) from the pickup switch. This leaves only the other pickup circuit in line with the output.

Then plug in and try it out. The remaining pickup should sound loud and proud and you should get full range from its volume pot. Moving the selector switch should get you output on the pickup select position and also the mid position. The last position should give you nothing.

Once that is established, do the same to the other. Reconnect the pickup circuit and disconnect the one you just tested from the selector switch. Go through the above again. Should be loud and proud.

If either one fails the loud and proud test, either no output or still really weak output, you need to check your wiring. If they pass, then the circuits are correct so reconnect the lot back together again because in the mid position sending one pot to zero volume essentially grounds any signal to the output jack from both pickups.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Oct 19, 2014,
I think it might be the pickup thats broken. I've tested both the pickups separately and the jazz pickup works fine. I've re wired the whole thing multiple times, I've rewired it with the pickup wires both ways around. When I measure the resistance of the pickup with my multi meter, one of the coils gives me a reading and the other does not, so I assume it is the pickup thats broken.
Quote by da_
I think it might be the pickup thats broken. I've tested both the pickups separately and the jazz pickup works fine. I've re wired the whole thing multiple times, I've rewired it with the pickup wires both ways around. When I measure the resistance of the pickup with my multi meter, one of the coils gives me a reading and the other does not, so I assume it is the pickup thats broken.

That would be it then. Process of elimination yields a result. Sounds like you need to source a new pickup or just go with one.

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Quote by Phoenix V
That would be it then. Process of elimination yields a result. Sounds like you need to source a new pickup or just go with one.

Thanks for your help, and to you other guys who pitched in as well. I've emailed Seymour Duncan to see how long their warranty is for, since I read on another forum that it was 5 years, and since this pickup was essentially new out of the box a week or so ago, even though I've had it in the box for a couple of years.
You may have an issue, because you did the work yourself, having SD do a warranty exchange. You will probably need to have a copy of the receipt also.

A telecaster diagram would also work fine for wiring, just sub the 3 way toggle for the 3 way tele switch
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 22, 2014,