Page 1 of 3
What do you guys think you should do if someone starts talking to you about stupid stuff that isn't real? My dad brought up this shit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibiru_cataclysm on the car ride to school and I was like "dad that isn't real, don't believe everything you read on the internet" and the rest of the ride was super awkward. I wish I just woulda been like "uh huh".

My friend brought up conspiracy theories in politics and I was not having that and shut that down too. I could tell he thought I was an asshole. I just can't stomach this kind of thing.

My sister is way into astronomy too and I am the nicest person in the world to not just tell her to shut up.
I either ignore them if they're random people on soapboxes or I tell them they're idiots and stop talking to them if I know them.
Quote by monstercrx
do you mean astrology?

no , she keeps bringing up carl sagan its so annoying
apart from getting boring after a while, I dont get the irritation with Astronomy, at least not compared with the other things you mentioned at least Astronomy is a science
yeah i humour them because

a) it's funny
b) they're crazy so they won't listen to reason anyway
I don't care what other people believe. Some freshman girl was telling me about how she believes in angels and demons and possessions and I'm like "you actually believe that?" and she's like "how can you not?" and it was just funny.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
my parents still think fred rogers was in the military, and the reason he wore cardigans was because he was covered in tattoos
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by So-Cal
yeah i humour them because

a) it's funny
b) they're crazy so they won't listen to reason anyway

Pretty much this.
Sail upon the open skies
My grandma says crazy shit. My cousin got a titanium plate in his arm after an accident and she said some weir stuff after finding out it wouldn't trigger metal detectors. Immediately went to terrorists carrying titanium weapons.

One time I tried to use logic to counter her anti-Islam rant. I said there's been violence on both sides, like when we killed a ton of them during the crusades. Her response was "Well, we shouldn't have stopped". I got up, went inside, and told my sister she needed to switch me before I said something bad.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It depends on the mood I'm and the specific person.

Typically the Astrology/New-agey Synchronicitous Spirituality types tend to be nice, docile people so I generally try to be polite and smile and nod.

If they're super fedora-ey and getting all preachy, I'll called them out on their shit.

I had a friend who occasionally would get into conspiracy theory type stuff, but was otherwise pretty sane and was also thick skinned so sometimes I'd just have to give him a little tough love to bring him down to earth.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
My parents are kinda of crazies sometimes, so whenever I visit home it have to find the right balance between "omg how could you really believe that" and just nodding and smiling.
It sounds like you're a douche. How do you know certain things aren't real? You're in no better a position than any of the people you 'shut down'. Just because you read some words on a piece of paper or a computer screen once that said they weren't real, doesn't make you any more right than the people on the opposite side who also read some words suggesting that these things could be real. (sorry about this confusing sentence, but I'm just trying to show how ****ing stupid our species' concept of knowledge is)

I'd rather be open minded and entertain the possibility of these things, than be a boring person who shuts others down simply because they're talking about something not pre-approved by the government.
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
Quote by tard on tour
It sounds like you're a douche. How do you know certain things aren't real? You're in no better a position than any of the people you 'shut down'. Just because you read some words on a piece of paper or a computer screen once that said they weren't real, doesn't make you any more right than the people on the opposite side who also read some words suggesting that these things could be real. (sorry about this confusing sentence, but I'm just trying to show how ****ing stupid our species' concept of knowledge is)

I'd rather be open minded and entertain the possibility of these things, than be a boring person who shuts others down simply because they're talking about something not pre-approved by the government.

There's a difference between being open minded and being a gullible person who believes shit with no facts to back it up or basis besides "the aliens told me in my dreams"

I rather be boring than a dumb idiot who doesn't use his brain
It all depends on how hot they are.

By all means, humour a girl with great tits. Otherwise, beat them with a stout stick.
I just tune it out and nod along. I really don't feel like arguing with crazies so its just easier that way.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by tard on tour

open the link in the OP man..

Lieder describes herself as a contactee with the ability to receive messages from extraterrestrials from the Zeta Reticuli star system through an implant in her brain.

if this doesn't tingle your oh-shit-crazy-person sense.. well
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Quote by Weaponized
There's a difference between being open minded and being a gullible person who believes shit with no facts to back it up or basis besides "the aliens told me in my dreams"

I rather be boring than a dumb idiot who doesn't use his brain

Why not both?
It depends who they are, and the situation. If they are close to me, I will be more willing to express my honest views.

Most of the time, I'll leave people be, or maybe tactfully express my view.

I used to be willing to engage in discussions with people in forums, but I have found it is basically impossible to avoid arguments in circles.

Most people prefer to be right, or not appear wrong, over expanding their views. Many people are emotionally attached, and defensive of the views they hold, rather than always being on the lookout for a stronger view.

I am not that way, so it is strange to me. For me, if someone shows me a superior view, or a flaw in reasoning, they have done me a service, and made it a good day.

It is very difficult to discuss opposing views without starting a fight. So, even on forums, i have become very apprehensive about it.

But sometimes, there are some individuals, that talk all high and mighty, are easily impressed with themselves, and kind of bully people or talk down to them and act as though they are superior, and then talk a bunch of rubbish, as though they are experts on the subject and others are ignorant.

I would never think badly about someone who didn't know something, was ill informed, or made some error. But when they are so condescending and arrogant and then say such ill informed, and miseducated things, and put others down, that really irritates me, and really makes me want to expose how ridiculous what they are saying is.

The thing is, they will never recognize how full of shit they are, will stubbornly hold on to their views forever, arguing in circles, and it will only be negative vibes that I don't like to be a part of.

Like, when people are so ignorant that they can't see their own ignorance, no matter how hard you try, and somehow got so impressed with themselves, what can you do? Nothing, so just don't feed the trolls.

But it is awfully tempting.

Also, all of us hold views that are flawed, and there is always somebody that can recognize that. Sometimes when you think like a number of people and few think differently, you are wrong, and vice versa. Iow, there are things most of us think are obviously correct, which are wrong.

So, I think prudence is important. You might think you are obviously right, but that doesn't mean you are. If you act with humility, you can figure that out without looking like a tool. If you call the other guy an idiot, and then they explain something you didn't recognize, that's gonna be an embarrassing moment you'll want to ignore, and call the other guy names or employ a red herring or something.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Oct 15, 2014,
Whether I shut people down for their crazy beliefs depends on the context in which they're said.

If a person believes in the Christian God during a rational debate, I'm going to tell them that they're misguided. But I'm not going to tell them they're misguided if they're telling me that their family were all killed in a car crash last week, and that they're all in Heaven. Telling them that in such a situation is grade-A fedora-wearing douchebag shit.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 15, 2014,
When I'm irritable I usually end up calling them out. Otherwise I'm just humorous if a little condescending.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I present them with facts and rational arguments and then I laugh at them when they refuse given evidence.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
I don't even like the phrase "humor them" cuz it sounds very condescending. That should tell you how I feel about stuff like this
cat
Quote by tard on tour

Just because something can't be proven to be false does not mean that it should be taken seriously. The burden of proof lies on the one who makes the claims. Why should I believe that the alignment of stars when I was born has any effect on my personality?

Personally, I think these things are endlessly entertaining. If I find out someone's into horoscopes or some bullshit, I no longer take any interest in further communicating with that person.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Oct 15, 2014,
Nod and say "I suppose that's possible."
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
I try to stay humble and not judge anyone for their beliefs but if you believe in chemtrails then oh my fucking god how do you dress yourself in the morning
my father is a very adamant climate change denier. through him i've learned that "rational debate" is fairly useless. it is the refuge of the fedora wearing vape pen slobbering atheist who must at every moment establish in his own mind that he is greater than another. it is a colossal racket.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by chrismendiola
If I find out someone's into horoscopes or some bullshit, I no longer take any interest in further communicating with that person.

Wow you're a bit of a douche too.

Ironically your measurement of a person's character isn't exactly accurate either.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
my parents are under the impression that everything going on in syria since 2011 was cuz the US wanted it to happen so they could eventually put boots on the ground and takeover its oil.

i laugh it off and try not to engage them cuz they're dumb and will start yelling
Let other people have their own beliefs just like you have your own. How are you better than they are if you refuse to accept their ideas? Take the high road and believe what you do, but don't try to force them to change their minds.
Quote by Weaponized
no , she keeps bringing up carl sagan its so annoying

>I can talk to aliens through my brain implant
>Conspiracy theories in politics
>Carl Sagan

♫♩One of these things is not like the otherrrrs♩♪

Quote by fingrpikingood

Most people prefer to be right, or not appear wrong, over expanding their views. Many people are emotionally attached, and defensive of the views they hold, rather than always being on the lookout for a stronger view.

This is simultaneously the most out-of-place and thoughtful post I've seen in a while. I agree with pretty much everything you said though.

Quote by chrismendiola
Why should I believe that the alignment of stars when I was born has any effect on my personality?

Because every single atom in the universe is pulling on you through gravity and a multitude of other forces.

Not that I believe in astrology. It's mostly just cold reading and vague statements. But I've always found it interesting for the reason that the position of the stars have a very real and measurable effect on people, just not in the grandiose, magical way that most astrologers imply.
Last edited by archangels at Oct 15, 2014,
When a person's beliefs are mostly harmless to themselves and those around them, I'll say something like "I don't believe in that at all but it's cool that you do". Others having a belief in things like astrology or conspiracy theories, while weird and nonsensical, has virtually no effect on my life. So there's no reason to judge or take offense. The nature of humanity and existence is already so weird that it isn't surprising to me that people have such strange thoughts and idiosyncrasies.

If somebody's racist or homophobic, they should expect to be called out on it because those things have an effect on others' lives and they're just being a doucher.
Quote by fingrpikingood
It depends who they are, and the situation. If they are close to me, I will be more willing to express my honest views.

Most of the time, I'll leave people be, or maybe tactfully express my view.

I used to be willing to engage in discussions with people in forums, but I have found it is basically impossible to avoid arguments in circles.

I am not that way, so it is strange to me. For me, if someone shows me a superior view, or a flaw in reasoning, they have done me a service, and made it a good day.

It is very difficult to discuss opposing views without starting a fight. So, even on forums, i have become very apprehensive about it.

But sometimes, there are some individuals, that talk all high and mighty, are easily impressed with themselves, and kind of bully people or talk down to them and act as though they are superior, and then talk a bunch of rubbish, as though they are experts on the subject and others are ignorant.

I would never think badly about someone who didn't know something, was ill informed, or made some error. But when they are so condescending and arrogant and then say such ill informed, and miseducated things, and put others down, that really irritates me, and really makes me want to expose how ridiculous what they are saying is.

The thing is, they will never recognize how full of shit they are, will stubbornly hold on to their views forever, arguing in circles, and it will only be negative vibes that I don't like to be a part of.

Like, when people are so ignorant that they can't see their own ignorance, no matter how hard you try, and somehow got so impressed with themselves, what can you do? Nothing, so just don't feed the trolls.

But it is awfully tempting.

Also, all of us hold views that are flawed, and there is always somebody that can recognize that. Sometimes when you think like a number of people and few think differently, you are wrong, and vice versa. Iow, there are things most of us think are obviously correct, which are wrong.

So, I think prudence is important. You might think you are obviously right, but that doesn't mean you are. If you act with humility, you can figure that out without looking like a tool. If you call the other guy an idiot, and then they explain something you didn't recognize, that's gonna be an embarrassing moment you'll want to ignore, and call the other guy names or employ a red herring or something.

man... i love you man

you've practically just typed out 5/6 out of everything I've always hated about discussing sensitive topics with most people. seriously, this might be the best post I've read all year.

you sir made my late (as in 23:20) day

Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Quote by archangels

This is simultaneously the most out-of-place and thoughtful post I've seen in a while. I agree with pretty much everything you said though.

Lol, I went on a bit of rant there, but my point was that I'd be happy to discuss differing points of view, and together, with others, discuss whatever it might be, in attempt to try and find the most reasonable conclusion we can together.

If most people were that way, I'd always volunteer my point of view, even if it conflicted with another person's.

But I don't find most people are that way. Instead of aiming towards truth and taking whatever reasoning anyone can provide, without bias or preference to any position, or where any reasoning came from, relying only on reasoning, and caring only to build as much real knowledge as possible, we protect our ideas and aim our defences toward other ideas and fight them off.

So, whereas I believe sharing ideas and different points of view should be cooperation of people towards education, it is in actuality conflict between individuals.

I don't wish for conflict, or to incite those negative emotions in anyone, most of the time. So, I must often keep silent. I would prefer if it was our nature to share wisdom though. I think it would be better for everyone. Why do we sometimes prefer to hold a position based on anything other than the quality of reasoning that supports it? idk.

We all claim to be reasonable, but if we truly all were, forums would often have people changing their views, and we'd all eventually very much agree on most things, until some other fresh new view is introduced. But instead, forums are riddled with conflicts that run in circles.

TL;DR

I want to philosophize with you, I don't wanna fight with you.

This is seldom possible, so I will often choose to keep my views to myself. Since we get all offended so easily, and can't reason together, we become collectively less educated. It is powerful that we can share knowledge, but our attitudes often prevent it. We even censor ourselves sometimes.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Oct 15, 2014,
Just give them an honest look of concern and be silent for extended periods of time during the conversation while looking at them. Don't toss an answer back to whether they're right or wrong, especially if they get defensive. Just show them the effect it has on you and how their obsession over something silly could very well could cause real emotional distance.

Smiling and nodding is easy, but dishonest.
SGT. HARTMAN: Where in hell are you from anyway, Private?
COWBOY: Sir, Texas, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!! Do you suck dicks!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Are you a peter-puffer!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!!
Page 1 of 3