Hey guys, I am looking for a tube amp. Based on reviews and demos I am choosing between a Jet City JCA2212C and the Vox ac15vr. Both great amps but i want to know which one suits my style better. I play bands like weezer, tool, black sabbath, kadavar, beatles, zeppelin, hendrix, etc. It is very versatile but I am having a very rough time choosing. Please help.
The AC15VR isn't a true tube amp. It's a solid state, essentially. Vox placed a single 12AX7 in the amp just so they could say it's 'tube'. The lowest priced all tube Vox amps I know out there with at least 15 watts is the Night Train G2 or the AC15C1, which are both $600.
Last edited by JustRooster at Oct 15, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster
The AC15VR isn't a true tube amp. It's a solid state, essentially. Vox placed a single 12AX7 in the amp just so they could say it's 'tube'. The lowest priced all tube Vox amps I know out there with at least 15 watts is the Night Train G2 or the AC15C1, which are both $600.

Yeah I know it is a hybrid, but I still love the sound it puts out.
So you aren't necessarily looking for a tube amp. If you love the sound it puts out then get it. That's pretty much the criteria for selection.
Quote by fly135
So you aren't necessarily looking for a tube amp. If you love the sound it puts out then get it. That's pretty much the criteria for selection.

Yeha but i love the sound of both of them. I want to know which one is better for my style of music.
With these two options, you're essentially choosing cleans over high-gain. Choose which is more important to you.
Quote by chrismendiola
With these two options, you're essentially choosing cleans over high-gain. Choose which is more important to you.

I like a good crunch, but if i get the vox can't I always just use pedals?
Quote by michaeldupont

Yes you can
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You can, but there is no guarantee it will sound as good as the amp distortion. I for one find overdrive channels on amps way more satisfying than distortion pedals.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
The AC15VR has a closed back. I'd get that
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Based on the "Artists it should sound like", the Jet City is gonna be a bit more Marshall-y so go for that.
Quote by michaeldupont

Yes. By the way, I made a mistake in my previous post. Replace the word "over" with "between."

Vox is good for cleans and crunch, Jet City can do crunch and high-gain, but no good for cleans.* Just remember that having separate channels and using dirt pedals both result in your tone sounding not clean, but to different degrees and to different results.

*This is subjective, of course, but consider these statements a general consensus.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Oct 16, 2014,
One thing you might want to consider is that ac15vr has no fx loop. It does have a reverb built in, but people have described it as meh. the JC has fx loop, but no built in reverb.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Generally speaking I'd say the JC is the superior amp, especially for higher gain tones. If you aren't going for the real AC15, I'd get the JC. Most of the bands you listed play primarily with overdrive/distortion anyway, so I'd go for the better drive sound.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.