Hey I need a bit of advice of you guys,Im currently on the look for a nice new amp for gigging and the Fender Vaporizer caught my attention.I am wondering is 12 watts really enough?it's a two by 10 inch speaker combo but I've never played through anything with such small wattage.It is a valve amp which I thought would make it louder compared to a solid state equivalent. I'm kind stuck here because I won't get an opportunity to try it out first hand so I need to hear what you guys think.Thanks.
If you can mic it up then yes, but I'd say that in most cases no it would not be enough.

Give us this:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks dude,I have a budget of about 500 Euros which is probably 650 dollars or around that.I need it for gigging because my current amp is on the way out.I mostly play blues rock from Stevie ray to Gary Moore and deep purple to the doors.I'm living in Ireland which is why I need advice on this because most music shops that would stock a big selection of amps to try out are on the complete opposite side of the country and I can't really go driving 160 miles just to see if I like the amp.I don't really care if I had to buy second,I can mic up the amp when I'm playing that's not a problem for me but I ain't got an idea of how loud or how quiet a 2x10 12 watt is.
Last edited by MickDee69 at Oct 15, 2014,
You should look for a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL401, it will do those tones just fine. I don't think the Vaporizer is for Gary Moore/DP tones at all. Gary Moore used a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you can mic it up then yes, but I'd say that in most cases no it would not be enough.

Even then, I'd say that it probably isn't. Your crowd might be able to hear you, but you might not be able to hear yourself, if you're playing with other people, particularly a loud drummer. You can crank the volume and then you'll be able to hear yourself, but your sound will very overdriven, which takes away the element of control
Quote by chrismendiola
Even then, I'd say that it probably isn't. Your crowd might be able to hear you, but you might not be able to hear yourself, if you're playing with other people, particularly a loud drummer. You can crank the volume and then you'll be able to hear yourself, but your sound will very overdriven, which takes away the element of control
That's what the wedges are for. The problem is that you have to rely on the sound guy to feed enough of your guitar into them. With a half decent sound guy you can use practically anything. Half decent sound guys tend to be a bit rare though which is why I use a big amp.

Rob's suggestion is very good, it is indeed what Gary used live.
Another good option is the Jet City JCA5212. That's the Lucky 13 one. You could even get away with the SLO versions, Gary used them for a while too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That's what the wedges are for. The problem is that you have to rely on the sound guy to feed enough of your guitar into them. With a half decent sound guy you can use practically anything. Half decent sound guys tend to be a bit rare though which is why I use a big amp.

Right, that too. Having an amp that you can hear without compromising your desired tone would give you the control, and not leave it to the people responsible for sound.

Disclaimer: I'm a bit biased as I love high wattage and 4×12 cabs.
I used to have a BF Princeton at 12w/1x10. Not quite enough to run with a drummer as I recall. Jensen speakers of the day were not as efficient as now though. If you keep the amp close and point it at your head it should be just enough to gig. Run a mic to the PA and you can play Glastonbury.

I often rehearse with a drummer and a 15w Superchamp. The little dude sounds great but it's all-in without a mic.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I'd want a lil more wattage but I think it depends on the amp. Maybe its cause I'm playing at home but my RM20 (which I've read referred to as a 15w amp) will stay really clean while keeping up with 2 other guitars, bass and drums. It could be the Blackface module, but its impressive the amount of headroom it has.

Going smaller, my 5w Epi Valve Jr will keep up with drums if there's no other competition. But it won't be anything close to clean or even musical but...eh...it'll work in a pinch.

Given the Vaporizer is 2x10 and the vjr is 1x8, I'd guess it'd work somewhat. Having said that, much better used amps that are more practical can be had at that price.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Cajundaddy
I used to have a BF Princeton at 12w/1x10. Not quite enough to run with a drummer as I recall. Jensen speakers of the day were not as efficient as now though. If you keep the amp close and point it at your head it should be just enough to gig. Run a mic to the PA and you can play Glastonbury.

I often rehearse with a drummer and a 15w Superchamp. The little dude sounds great but it's all-in without a mic.
The rest of the band have to be able to hear you too - although I have played with guys I'd rather not hear.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Mick, I'd have a look at the Peavey Classic. I'd avoid the 212 version purely because it's heavy as shit. The 112 will easily be loud enough for gigs.

Should meet all your requirements.
Well the JetCity JCA50 head is like 300e on Thomann (an internet store where most of europe buys stuff i belive. Also check out dv247.com). Altough im not sure if thats what you are looking for.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
The Vaporizer channel on those is ungodly loud. I was surprised to learn it was just a 12 watt amp.

If you're the kind of guy who likes to bring an amp, a guitar, and maybe a couple pedals to a gig I assume this could be a nice option. The kind of player this amp would generally stand out to is the kind of guy who uses the guitar volume knob to control gain, especially with the Vaporizer channel.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
The Vaporizer is a sweet amp. And for any gig too big for 12 tube watts, you'd be miked up through the PA system anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Lots of people make the mistake of thinking they need a huge amp for playing anything other than a coffee shop. It's like, a 100 watt head is massive, and puts out a ton of volume, but even if you're playing a venue big enough to need that much volume, you'd still mic it and put it through the PA because, even though the amp alone is loud enough, your live sound will be terrible if it's all coming from a single speaker stack on the stage. People who aren't standing within your amp's sound cone will get worse sound.

I had a customer in my store a while back, looking at an Orange TH30 combo. He said he loved how it sounded but, "with the bands I play in, I need 200 watts, minimum". I was like, "dude, I saw your band last week at the Maltese (a small local bar that feels packed with more than 50 people). You sounded awful because you were way too loud."
I think 12 should be enough but you will not be able to play much clean tones. It alos depends on the drummer and the size of the venue. Just saw Travis Larson band do a clinic here yesterday I think 12 watts would have been enough they had electronic drums.
I could use my 20 watt Krank 1980 JR for gigging, but It will barely work and it is a very loud 20 watt amp. The Vaporizer could not work for me in a band situation without being mic'd, it just doesn't have the headroom
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Mike Campbell has been gigging with 12w for 40 years so I guess it works for some players.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19351-rig-rundown---tom-petty-and-the-heartbreakers-mike-campbell
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
What's the bet his sound guys are somehow superior to the average idiot behind the desk in a pub?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
I could use my 20 watt Krank 1980 JR for gigging, but It will barely work and it is a very loud 20 watt amp. The Vaporizer could not work for me in a band situation without being mic'd, it just doesn't have the headroom

I don't think anyone buys a 12W amp for the headroom. Something like that is meant for people going for the "everything on 10" sounds. It even comes with a footswitch that just bypasses everything and goes all-out. 12W would be fine for gigging if you're using it like that. But it's certainly not for the stuff the OP intends on playing.
Quote by Cathbard
What's the bet his sound guys are somehow superior to the average idiot behind the desk in a pub?

i'd bet some double plugger thongs on it.