Hello. I have DAW. Studio One 2. Starting to record. Recorded guitar tracks with this amp and interface:

Now, I need to record bass parts. Thinking about buying this bass:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GSRM20BS

Now, I need to know if this bass is compatible w/ the Vox ToneLab Amp I just showed you. In short, I'm trying to figure out (1) how am I going to record w/ the bass and (2) whether it should be distorted like a guitar.

Thanks so much.
No, guitar amps are not compatible with bass guitars; unless you want to blow out the speakers, that is.

Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDo-H3akilQ
Edit: Btw, do yourself a favor, and don't buy the IKMultiMedia plugin he refers to. Instead, download one of the free bass amp sims in the Amp/Cab Sims Thread. Or don't even bother with an amp sim for bass. Look into DI'ing a bass guitar.

Also, his opinion on guitar amp plugins is...just an opinion.

And check this out, because it has a good tip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPkbdyz01NM
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 16, 2014,
crazysam23_Atax is right about blowing speakers. However, from what I can see you're not employing and speakers in your setup with the Vox ToneLab. So I believe your setup will work. That being said, the ToneLab is geared for guitar sounds and frequencies, not bass, so you'll probably get more realistic sounding bass with amp sims.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
Laney IRT Studio + 112 cab
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
No, guitar amps are not compatible with bass guitars; unless you want to blow out the speakers, that is.
Now this is plain false.

Speakers in musical instruments' amps are tough as ****.
Like, cloth suspensions tough.
And they are usually rated at a higher power than the amp's power.

You won't break anything, TS.
Quote by G-Dog_666
crazysam23_Atax is right about blowing speakers. However, from what I can see you're not employing and speakers in your setup with the Vox ToneLab. So I believe your setup will work. That being said, the ToneLab is geared for guitar sounds and frequencies, not bass, so you'll probably get more realistic sounding bass with amp sims.
I agree with the bold part.

The first not bold part is a urban legend created by very low quality amps and the second one is half true - a phaser may not work good with a bass, maybe also a pitch shifter, but the rest will sound just fine.

You'll probably get a better result with amp sims though, yeah.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Now this is plain false.

Speakers in musical instruments' amps are tough as ****.
Like, cloth suspensions tough.
And they are usually rated at a higher power than the amp's power.

You won't break anything, TS.
I agree with the bold part.

The first not bold part is a urban legend created by very low quality amps and the second one is half true - a phaser may not work good with a bass, maybe also a pitch shifter, but the rest will sound just fine.

You'll probably get a better result with amp sims though, yeah.

Nope nope nope nope nope. Guitar speakers have far lower excursion ratings than bass speakers, and the increased excursion from running a bass guitar into a guitar cab will literally tear the speaker apart. Seen it done multiple times. With effects it all comes down to the pedal. Nearly all pedals have low and high pass filters built into them, it just depends on where those are set. Many distortion pedals for example cut a fair chunk of the super low end in an effort to save volume, and it works until you run a bass through it and it sounds thin as tissue paper.
You CAN play bass through guitar cabs, but not very loud else you WILL break things. You're wrong on this one Luca, I've seen it done and so has my dad (who has spent the majority of his life playing in bands.)
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by chatterbox272
Nope nope nope nope nope. Guitar speakers have far lower excursion ratings than bass speakers, and the increased excursion from running a bass guitar into a guitar cab will literally tear the speaker apart.
Yeah, but guitar amps don't have the power to push speakers far enough.

Edit: not any of the ones I've worked with at least.

Bass speakers do have a higher xmax, but they're also paired with amps powerful 5 to 10 times the majority of guitar amps.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You CAN play bass through guitar cabs, but not very loud else you WILL break things. You're wrong on this one Luca, I've seen it done and so has my dad (who has spent the majority of his life playing in bands.)
I have done it as well with various equipment and I really have not had any problem.

Just out of curiosity, what speakers did you break using what amps?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Oct 16, 2014,
It was a v30, guy at a local gig decided to just use his spare guitar cab instead of buying a proper bass cab. Think my dad had a Jenson or two break on him in old bands.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
It was a v30, guy at a local gig decided to just use his spare guitar cab instead of buying a proper bass cab.
In this case he was likely using a proper bass amp, and even the majority of the small ones are rated at a higher power than a 4x12 with v30's.

I mean I can't be sure, but that would be my first thought.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I think there may be a misunderstanding: I don't have a traditional guitar amp. I have an amp modeler, or "amp box" like I say.

I plug the guitar into the amp modeler and the modeler into the Audiobox interface and the interface into the computer. There is no external speaker.

Knowing this, can I record bass through the Vox amp modeler or not? I really need to know this. If I can, can I turn on the distortion and stuff like a do a guitar?

I'm trying to avoid "sims" because I am still learning the Studio One software.
Last edited by selftaught1000 at Oct 16, 2014,
Yup. Will be fine.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Yup. Will be fine.

Thanks.

1. Is everyone in agreement that this is safe now that I clarified my setup?

2. What distortion settings should I use on Vox? I tend to use heavy metal presets. Should I use the same presets as I use for guitar or should I use a more generalized setting? I want a distorted bass sound if possible.
Last edited by selftaught1000 at Oct 16, 2014,
Quote by selftaught1000
Thanks.

Yeah, no worries. Next time, say stuff like this to start off, lol.

2. What distortion settings should I use on Vox? I tend to use heavy metal presets. Should I use the same presets as I use for guitar or should I use a more generalized setting? I want a distorted bass sound if possible.

As with guitar, the general rule is, don't stray too far from 12 o'clock. So, set everything to 12 and then tweak it until you get a sound you like.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Yeah, no worries. Next time, say stuff like this to start off, lol.

As with guitar, the general rule is, don't stray too far from 12 o'clock. So, set everything to 12 and then tweak it until you get a sound you like.

Interesting.

What about presets and effects like modulation, reverb, and delay? Can you use that stuff too?
Quote by selftaught1000
Yeah.
Quote by selftaught1000
2. What distortion settings should I use on Vox?
Whatever sounds good to you.
Try as much stuff as you can and decide what you like best.
Quote by selftaught1000
I want a distorted bass sound if possible.
For that you will have to plug a bass in the thing and distort the signal.
Quote by selftaught1000
What about presets and effects like modulation, reverb, and delay? Can you use that stuff too?
You can use whatever you want.
Lemme repeat it for added effect - whatever you want.

No guarantee anything will sound good, but the only way of discovering so is trying.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
You can use mod effects, but it depends on the circumstances, reverb and delay and can turn bass tone to mud if you're not careful.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by selftaught1000
Interesting.

Definitely. Just be careful. Make sure you're using playback (before recording), when trying out new effects. No sense in wasting actual recording time, because you're playing around with effects. Like Chem said, things can turn to mud if you're not careful.