Page 1 of 3
I find that jazz doesn't seem to get much appreciation here, or anywhere these days for that matter. But I think it's crucial for musicians and really all Americans to listen to some jazz and at least learn a little bit about it, seeing as how it is one of the truly American art forms.

Post good jazz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxXAw-T5hSs

This whole video is amazing, but check out Lenny Breau's first guitar solo starting at 1:15. This is musicianship.
The bass teacher at my school told me about that tune! But I forgot to look it up.

Good post

I guess I can count on the "Old Geezers" to appreciate a thread like this

EDIT: I'm now listening to Money Jungle on Spotify. Good lord, those three have great chemistry!
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Oct 16, 2014,
Yeah that album is amazing. Apparently if you listen to the tracks in the order they were recorded you can hear the tension gradually building between them to due to clashes in the studio. Mingus almost left the session at one point and was caught by Duke in the elevator who persuaded him to come back.

Also I'm not old, I'm actually 19

The mumu thread has a good amount of jazz appreciation on some nights by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrVnm66joQk

Another good track that's not too known.
Quote by That Old Geezer
Yeah that album is amazing. Apparently if you listen to the tracks in the order they were recorded you can hear the tension gradually building between them to due to clashes in the studio. Mingus almost left the session at one point and was caught by Duke in the elevator who persuaded him to come back.

Interesting. I'd imagine any recording session with Mingus would be a bit tense But I wish more bass players played with his type of passion.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts

Despite his callous demeanor and his slutty mom butts is quite the jazz man himself, he's a regular in mumu
Seriously try coming in sometime, it's great

Edit: I wish the same about other bass players as well. Mingus was able to channel his anger into his music so well and give it so much emotion, and other bassists are just worried about walking and keeping the time.
Last edited by That Old Geezer at Oct 16, 2014,
Not enough Bill Evans in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mToUHd4ffGQ

his lines...his LIIINNEEES!!!

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by That Old Geezer

Another good track that's not too known.

Green Dolphin Street? That's a standard yo

I like our Bill Evans link der

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Green Dolphin Street? That's a standard yo

I like our Bill Evans link der

I know the song's a standard, but I meant that rendition itself. It was recorded Kind of Blue period but wasn't released until many years later iirc.
Quote by Banjocal
>truly american art forms
ha

hahahaha
no

Are you implying that it is not truly American because there are a lot of prominent African American artists? It doesn't change the fact that it started in America due to the intersection of many different cultures, which is really the basis of all of American society. Jazz is about as American as it gets.

And if you're implying that America doesn't have any art unique to the country, then that's just ignorant.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Oct 16, 2014,
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by That Old Geezer
^

You just like watching his cheeks don't you?

Who gives a shit about his cheeks? That music, man!
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 16, 2014,
Hooray for this thread!
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; man got to tell himself he understand.

Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Are you implying that it is not truly American because there are a lot of prominent African American artists? It doesn't change the fact that it started in America due to the intersection of many different cultures, which is really the basis of all of American society. Jazz is about as American as it gets.

And if you're implying that America doesn't have any art unique to the country, then that's just ignorant.
It all started in African folk, and any countries which intersected with African slaves developed similar sounds due to their use of syncopation (well, they actually used ridiculously complex rhythmics but) and largely pentatonic harmony with use of "blue" notes. Though the merging with american folk was what brought it to Jazz as we know it I would argue that it was the African slaves which created it, and that it's more that than American, as without them, it wouldn't exist as an American thing. The slaves had the two traditions merge but it's largely the rhythm and harmony of african traditional music which engendered the move into gospel and subsequently "pure" jazz. There's a book by Gunther Schuller which outlines it all pretty well, with notation, too. basically I consider the root of the style to be that which deserves recognition due to a larger contribution. There are artists like Jean Bosco Mwenda who play finger style folk who have sounds not a million miles away from other parts of the world's folk, and his stuff is primarily rooted around the traditional folk of his ancestors.

Of course not, murrica has a lot of unique stuff. Artistically it's a great country.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Oct 16, 2014,
I understand and agree with most of that. However I would attribute a bit more credit to American (white) influence on the African roots music. It was really the combination of the two which created what we think of as jazz, but I suppose it could be argued that the African influence is a bit heavier. One big, largely significant contribution from white culture though was the instrumentation, mainly brass/woodwinds, which of course became staples of the jazz sound, even the earliest forms of jazz.
Listening to Blues & Roots by Mingus now while at work. Makes work so much better.

Hartman was the only vocalist Coltrane ever recorded with in his career (at least as a bandleader). To give a frame of reference, this album came out a year before A Love Supreme/Crescent and three years after Giant Steps. Coltrane was making the transition from out-there to even-more-out-there. And yet, this incredible album is nestled right in the middle of that period. Beautiful, simple, melodic playing in a time when Trane was known for his wild buzzsaw playing, bizarre chord progressions and, soon-to-be, modal conceptual pieces. This is a nice reprieve to hear him play some ballads/standards and really just embrace them. And Hartman is my favorite male vocalist in jazz. Chet Baker a close second. But man, his voice is just sweet enough and just melancholy enough to really do justice to this genre. This is the definitive version of this tune. If anyone tells you otherwise, they're kidding themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecrE80rnjhw
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Oct 16, 2014,
Quote by captainsnazz
there is an entire forum for this

however here get a bit more modern
*music*

This site has other forums?

That's some good stuff though!

Page 1 of 3