Steam is announcing that 10 games are going to be free to download for limited time

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/15/6984379/steam-free-games-weekend

Starting Thursday, Oct. 16, Steam will host a free weekend that Valve says is the service's biggest yet; 10 PC games in all will be free during the weekend-long promotion, which would total about $240 if purchased at their regular price.

Steam's free weekend kicks off at 10 a.m. PT tomorrow and includes the following titles, which Valve says will also be available for purchase "at tremendous savings."

Awesomenauts
Blade Symphony
Company of Heroes 2
Don't Starve
Grid 2
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Killing Floor
Payday 2
Trine 2
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Awwww yeee
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Are these free games or just free to play over the weekend and then if you don't drop the bones on them you lose access to the games?
Are these going to be owned, or is it one of those "free weekend" things where you lose access on the Monday? I can't follow the link from work

Either way, pretty cool.

EDIT:

Dammit, Butts
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Last edited by metacarpi at Oct 16, 2014,
Probably just for the weekend and steam then advertises the offer misleadingly to attract more customers.

But usually I don't play a game for more than a couple days before I get bored of it, so I'm not that bothered.

However, Valve does say that after the weekend is over and the games are no longer free, there will be a huge discount for them over their normal price. So it still might be worth jumping on.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 16, 2014,
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
just free to play over the weekend and then if you don't drop the bones on them you lose access to the games
Yeah this.

Also that post over this post.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Valve is satan beware digital ditribution it will consume us all

Valve is my kind of Satan
Tfw you already own all of those games
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Oct 16, 2014,
Gaming thread brah

Also

Quote by Article
Steam's free weekendkicks off at 10 a.m. PT tomorrow and includes the following titles, which Valve says will also be available for purchase "at tremendous savings."

So yeah you have to pay after if you want em'
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Last edited by slash_GNR666 at Oct 16, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Probably just for the weekend and steam then advertises the offer misleadingly to attract more customers.

But usually I don't play a game for more than a couple days before I get bored of it, so I'm not that bothered.

However, Valve does say that after the weekend is over and the games are no longer free, there will be a huge discount for them over their normal price. So it still might be worth jumping on.

Steam has free weekends all the time. The game is free to play all weekend, after which it is not playable until you purchase it. During the subsequent week, the free week games are offered at a pretty good discount.

Quote by vayne92
How is this news? They do this like every weekend.

It's news because they normally do 1-2 games at a time. They're doing 10 this weekend, some of which are brand new.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Too bad those are all crap games, with the exception of two or three of those
>all those games are crap
>except like 3
>all of those games suck except 1/3rd of them
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Eh, I'm not a fan of the free weekend things. If I throw money on a game, I expect to be playing it longer than a weekend.
I also already own the only 3 games that interest me.

It's obvious what they're there for, get you interested/invested in a game and then make you pay for it once that interest/investment is there. It's a good system since it's essentially a demo but, I dunno, I would rather just buy the damn thing rather than have access to it revoked when I'm half way through something until I open my wallet.

Note: Payday 2 is always on these free weekend things. At this point, they may as well stop going through the motions and just make it a free to play game.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
I own all those.

Meh

also payday 2 has an insane amount of DLC, which is probably why it's always free, and could probably survive as a f2p game. But I paid 40 bucks to get beta access.

I love that game, but you better be ready to communicate with strangers, some high rankers will kick you if you don't use a mic.
Last edited by stratkat at Oct 16, 2014,
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Steam has free weekends all the time. The game is free to play all weekend, after which it is not playable until you purchase it. During the subsequent week, the free week games are offered at a pretty good discount.

I... Just said that...
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I'll probably pick up Injustice then, the rest I'm not really bothered about. It's cool that they are giving them away for free, but all of them are games that go down to basically nothing in steam sales anyway. Plus a few of them have DLC, which is probably why they got added.

Still, I'm not complaining at free games .

edit: oh it's a free weekend, care a lot less now.
Manchester United
Last edited by Shabalaba at Oct 16, 2014,
Quote by angusfan16
Tfw you already own all of those games
tfw someone thinks they 'own' their games on steam
ggg1 ggg3

Do not be led astray by the snake, for she is a foul temptress set on destroying man's eternal soul.

I though that was my wife
Quote by behind_you

I'm bout to own dat ass
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by Banjocal
>all those games are crap
>except like 3
>all of those games suck except 1/3rd of them

whoa good math there, buddy.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I... Just said that...

Yeah I meant to quote hockey dude mb
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Isn't there a video game thread...
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
The first Payday game if free to own if you download today, the others are just free until Sunday.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by angusfan16
no

um

Quote by behind_you
which is why it's always good to get a crack/learn to crack them too.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
everybody play Don't Starve.

you probably won't starve, but you'll die.

a lot.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug