I'm getting my PRS Paul Allender guitar set up for Drop B to learn some Slipknot/Machine Head songs, however, some Slipknot songs(like The Devil in I) are in Drop A, I have 12 gauge strings getting put on, will going from Drop B to Drop A back and fourth affect the neck/guitar in any way? I've asked around, and I've gotten a different answer from everyone I've asked, some say that it'll be fine, where others said that I shouldn't go back and fourth a lot because it'll affect the neck and wear out the strings, so now I'm just worried that going down that extra step will damage the neck and mess the guitar up.
Stop being a pussy, I use 0.12 strings for Drop C. Go buy mainly gauge strings first, then you come back here.
Probably not. I wouldn't do it much (twice a day maybe). Just watch the neck curvature If it stats to twist you probably should not do that. If it has a thick neck it should not be a problem.

If who ever is setting up the guitar is making the fingerboard 100% straight with the strings at that tension, the neck might bend backward and make it un-playable for that tuning.

Also make a thread in the Electric Guitar or Gear building and customizing forum. Or ask a mod to move this one.
KIFFLOM
Set it up for Drop A, play 2 frets up for Drop B, quit worrying.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by mp8andrade
Stop being a pussy, I use 0.12 strings for Drop C. Go buy mainly gauge strings first, then you come back here.

come back here when you use something other than poverty strings bro. $0.12 smh

But yeah use not even slinkys. There great.
KIFFLOM
i use a 70 for my low A string and a 17 for my high b string
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
For what's it's worth I owned a $300 schecter once and would go between standard, to drop A, back up to standard, to drop c, up to drop d, down to G in a single day. Oddly I never had any issues. Was using 13s too, not sure how the strings never snapped either.
Quote by Ssargentslayer
Have you tried a new amp?
This.

Or even better, drop the guitar and start making sick wubz.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Get a 7-string.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
Quote by Arby911

That's really all there is to it.
Gear:

ESP EC-50
ESP FB-204

MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR EVH Phase 90
MXR Analog Chorus

"Music is the strongest form of magic." - Marilyn Manson
Quote by mp8andrade
Stop being a pussy

well that's just rude m8
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by blizzboy
Get a 7-string.

this here
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
You don't deserve a PRS

This.

Tell your parents you love them for being so great, no matter how little you've appreciated their generosity in the past.
Israel is a terrorist state.
buy a M A C B O O K
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
i thought tuning your guitar meant tightening the strings as tight as possible.

i still don't know why all the songs i play sound wrong.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i thought tuning your guitar meant tightening the strings as tight as possible.

i still don't know why all the songs i play sound wrong.

I suppose you're playing the bass guitar.
Quote by sonic_hippy
Probably not. I wouldn't do it much (twice a day maybe). Just watch the neck curvature If it stats to twist you probably should not do that. If it has a thick neck it should not be a problem.

If who ever is setting up the guitar is making the fingerboard 100% straight with the strings at that tension, the neck might bend backward and make it un-playable for that tuning.

Also make a thread in the Electric Guitar or Gear building and customizing forum. Or ask a mod to move this one.

Nah, I've switched between drop C and B and even A# many times in one day and it doesn't hurt my guitar...now, thats my guitar. If its a well built guitar, it's not some fragile pos that can't take any changes, that'd make it worthless. Now, the only problem you'll run into it the innotation is going to change slightly, and if it's a huge drop in tuning, like from standard to drop A then I'd worry a bit, but honestly, guitars are tougher than people give them credit for.
I alternate between 7+ tunings on a single guitar and so far I haven't noticed any negative results. I think you'll be fine
Quote by mp8andrade
I suppose you're playing the bass guitar.

a bass is a drum, silly.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
yeah there's a high chance of leprosy and/or death if you try to tune from drop B to drop A.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I play in Drop Satan with a Barbed Wire string gauge
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Arby911

But if he does it like that then he cant chug open notes with one hand and do this \m/ with the other
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
But if he does it like that then he cant chug open notes with one hand and do this \m/ with the other

capo lul

unless a capo isnt brutal enough
West Ham United
I hear they make these great instruments called 7-string guitars that can tune to Drop A without issues. You should try them, TS.

Edit:
Quote by King Donkey
capo lul

unless a capo isnt brutal enough

A capo? Really?

What's wrong with you?...

CAPOS ARE NOT METUHL!
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 17, 2014,
Quote by Jackson kv
*video*

I turn on sigs for the first time in ages, and I see yours

I don't even remember where I said it
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

A capo? Really?

What's wrong with you?...

CAPOS ARE NOT METUHL!

This is the one I use, and it is metal.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kyser-Quick-Change-Capo-6-String-100065763-i1130233.gc
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Last edited by Baby Joel at Oct 17, 2014,
Have you tried playing a macbook pro ts?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Baby Joel
I turn on sigs for the first time in ages, and I see yours

I don't even remember where I said it

Me neither