I had posted this before, but in the wrong place. anyway, I'm getting my PRS Paul Allender guitar set up for Drop B to learn some Slipknot/Machine Head songs, however, some Slipknot songs(like The Devil in I) are in Drop A, I have 12 gauge strings getting put on, will going from Drop B to Drop A back and fourth damage the neck/guitar in any way? I've asked around, and I've gotten a different answer from everyone I've asked, some say that it'll be fine, where others said that I shouldn't go back and fourth a lot because it'll affect the neck and wear out the strings, so now I'm just worried that going down that extra step will damage the neck and mess the guitar up.
I don't think that it will be an issue so long as everything is set up appropriately. I don't think that switching back and forth consistently is something I would do. I think it would be the same as going from standard to drop D, not going to mess things up too bad but I wouldn't do one song in standard then one in drop, and then repeat the pattern multiple times.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
You can, but because your guitar has a floating trem it will be a complete retune on the guitar and without setting the trem springs up correct for the other tuning you will have some issues
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I forgot to mention, while it is a floating bridge and I do have a tremolo bar, I never use it, so I asked the guy if it was possible to change the floating bridge to a set bridge and he said it's possible, so that is what I'm doing.
if you block the bridge, you should be fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
maybe consider playing the drop B songs in B standard or in Drop A with a capo... otherwise try 'n get it set up for drop A# so both tunings aren't really out of the setup
Buy a Variax.
Switch from Drop B to Drop A and back again with a click.
String tension never changes, string gauge never an issue.
the allender isn't a floating trem, just a standard trem so if you have 5 springs nice and tight there won't be an issue
Quote by sytharnia1560
the allender isn't a floating trem, just a standard trem so if you have 5 springs nice and tight there won't be an issue

I thought even the PRS SE models had the floating trem, my PRS does, but it is a CE22 so maybe that is just on USA models.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate