Each time I tap notes, I get that small 'clung' sound when the string hits the free and it sounds horrible; what am I missing?
If I tap light, not enough sound comes out; if I tap hard I get that sound. I'm obviously missing something out.

Is tapping supposed to be light or heavy handed?
I play acoustic. What is important for tapping, on acoustic at least, are these things.

• power; practiced enough to be swift and graceful.
  • technique; apply pressure close to the fret.
  • muting. When you tap, both sides of where you tapped on the string can sound out notes. More easily on higher strings. You want to mute the ones on the side of the headstock. Usually. I guess you could go the other way with it, but that might be confusing, and I guess slightly off pitch with that technique.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Oct 16, 2014,
And do you apply as much pressure as when you normally fret a note?
I've been doing it like a hammer on so far and it hasn't worked well
Quote by tcdr3
And do you apply as much pressure as when you normally fret a note?
I've been doing it like a hammer on so far and it hasn't worked well

For my left hand, it's more sort of the same I guess. I don't do much with my left in so far as tapping. I was talking more about my right hand.

Tapping on acoustic and electric is a bit different. But if you are having issues, it's either technique or skill/power/dexterity. It's hard to say in what way exactly without watching you. I'm sure you could find beginner tapping videos on YouTube.
I think the best would be to find someone local that can show me :p

But thanks for the feedback!
Following your post, I just tried to use my left hand to hold the string in going to tap and it sounds 10x times better; as the string is already down by the time I tap it, it doesn't slam the fret
Not muting the string is the main reason that if you tap hard you hear two notes, for the reasons explained above.

For the tension thing, you basically want to hammer on with your right hand exactly as you hammer on with your left hand since if you play true tapping your right hand should essentially be a mirror of your left hand. Remember how long it took you to be able to make a half decent hammer on with your left hand? You have to go through this again for your right hand, but you can use the knowledge you already have to make the process a bit quicker.

Try muting the string with your left hand and practice hammering on with every finger on your right hand until you can make a decent sound without exerting too much tension. You should hit the string with speed and power but you don't want to press into the fretboard once you have sounded the note out, just let your finger rest on the fret as you would with your left hand. This will take a lot of practice, trial and error to get right.

What fingrpikingood said is correct, but the technique for tapping on electric and acoustic is the same. The difference is acoustic guitarists often angle their right hand along the string instead of against it (as with the left hand), so they can tap multiple strings on the same fret. On electric guitar people tend to either use one finger of the right hand to tap with the right hand along the strings, or use all the fingers of the right hand to play a voice with the right hand mirroring your left hand.
I think I get it now, just muting the string with the left hand has done a tremendous difference!
and, for some reason, it seems even easier to play, maybe because I put focus with both hands on one single spot at a time.

thanks!