So I have a J Custom RG, and I am tired of the floyd rose system and want to trade it in. I spoke to my local guitar store over the phone and they said they would sell the guitar for $899 if I brought it in, and thats if it was in mint condition.

Now, it is in very good condition, its two years old and not much wear on it. My question is, are they ripping me off? Or is this a fair depreciation for this guitar.
They will sell the guitar for $899 or they will give you $899?

Either way, research the guitar. Find similar guitars and find out what they are going for and then sell it on your own. You'll be better off.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
That sounds very, very low compared to what you (most likely) paid for it.

Don't get me wrong- I realise the shop isn't a charity, and has many overheads and things like that, and has to turn a profit too.

I don't know your financial situation, or how badly you want a non-floyd guitar... but if it were me, and someone offered me $700 for my J-Custom, I'd just keep it. That's just me, though, and to be fair I like Floyds. But consider what you're liable to get, even on the used market, for $700. I can't imagine you're going to get anything as good as your J-custom for that kind of money (but you never know, sometimes you can get lucky).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why not just block the Floyd and keep the guitar. Those are great guitars, I'd bet you would regret getting rid of it and then trying to find a $700 guitar that could come close to competing with it. How sure are you that the store would even give you $700?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by Deagle
So I have a J Custom RG, and I am tired of the floyd rose system and want to trade it in. I spoke to my local guitar store over the phone and they said they would sell the guitar for $899 if I brought it in, and thats if it was in mint condition.

Now, it is in very good condition, its two years old and not much wear on it. My question is, are they ripping me off? Or is this a fair depreciation for this guitar.

Guitar Center isn't ripping you off per se, but you have to remember that they're buying it to resell, not to add to their collection to play.

General rule of thumb with them is they'll typically give you about 1/3 the original price, assuming it's in near mint. You're better off selling to an actual person, as they will be buying it to actually use, not to resell. I can tell you right now without even knowing what model your J-Custom is that that price isn't enough, and they won't sell it for what they're telling you.

If you're not hard up for cash, throw it on Craigslist or something.
Cut a block of wood and jam it between the trem and the body.

Or you could install this. You'll have to figure out which type your floyd needs.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2